INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices. The statutory bodies of INTERSOS, are: the Members Assembly, the Council, the Society for Auditing and Certification of Accounts.
Intersos, established in 1992, is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Bama, Dikwa, Magumeri, Ngala – Borno
Reporting to: WASH Supervisor
Slot: 2 Openings
- The WASH Officer will be based in targeted LGAs in Borno State, with field trips. The WASH Officer is responsible for activities Planning and Supervision of Field Staff, Technical designs of WASH Infrastructures,
- Conducting trainings for communities on hygiene, Water Management Committees, Awareness campaign, Data collection, Developing the new concept ideas and Mobilizing the communities for WASH activities.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Management of the contractors in all the Water and Sanitation construction projects
- Mobilize, train and follow-up on communities/WASH committees formed and/or trained by INTERSOS in all activities concerning WASH, ensuring good community participation, gender balance and ownership by the community Maintain electronic data management and filing system, of the programme.
- Participate in recruiting technical personnel of the project
- Participate in building the capacity of the WASH technical team on their responsibility
- Plan and coordinate the activities to be done each week with the team and support and supervise their evolution each day, assuring the quality of the work.
- Ensure community participation in all WASH activities.
- Provide detailed, accurate and timely weekly reports to supervisor on activities, challenges and areas in need of improvement
- Plan for, organize and conduct trainings for communities and committees in areas such as Water management Committees, School hygiene clubs, Hygiene awareness in communities
- Ensure constant communication with INTERSOS WASH staff to identify potential problems, formulate recommendations and solutions and report
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to the field, to follow-up on INTERSOS activities and ensure community participation in the activities
- Ensure that consideration is given with focus on gender, protection and HIV/AIDS in water and sanitation activities.
- Work along with the hygiene promotion team/Social Mobilizers and WASH Supervisor in all the processes of selecting, designing, implementing and monitoring the WASH systems and activities by meetings and good communication
- Attend the Co-ordination meetings of the area, inform and co- ordinate the WASH activities with the other agencies and actors carrying out similar activities.
- Regularly inform the field manager verbally and with written reports on the state and progress of the activities and the problems and/or solutions identified
- Supervise Water and Sanitation construction projects and ensure contract terms and conditions and Health and safety guide lines are adhered to for the entire duration of the contract.
- Respect and non-discriminatory attitude, empathy
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of responsibility, methodical and accurate with high organizational skills.
- Honesty and integrity and able to cope with stressful situations.
- Degree or a Diploma in Civil, Water Engineering or Community/Public/Environmental Health Sciences.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in handling WASH responsibilities
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Reporting skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems
- Hygiene awareness-raising campaign implementation experiences;
- Experience in Preparation of project Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is essential
- Computer skills (MS Office, particularly MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook).
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th June, 2019.