Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Operations Manager
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0030
Job Field: Administration / Secretarial
Position Status Full-time, Non-exempt, Regular
Job Type: Full Time
Program / Department Summary
- The Senior Operations Manager is a member of the country’s senior management team and is responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions in Nigeria including Admin, IT, Procurement, Logistics, Assets, Fleet and Warehousing.
- S/he ensures effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members. A heavy emphasis is also placed on the training of local staff within the administration and logistics departments.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Operations Manager liaises closely with Mercy Corps’ Procurement Administration and Logistics Management (PALM) team with regard to the full implementation of standard Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives.
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Communicate with local partners and sub-grantees to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring activities designed to meet program objectives.
- Develop, implement and manage relevant Mercy Corps operations systems for offices in Nigeria.
- Advise and support the development and management of systems, for full integration with Mercy Corps systems.
- Work with Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and operation of necessary systems, including travel to field offices and when necessary for support and orientation.
- Manage all administration and logistics functions and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control with regard to the following disciplines:
- Administration – Disciplines covered under administration are:
- Facilities Management
- Office Management
- Information Technology
- Logistics – Disciplines covered under logistics are:
- Fleet Management
- Warehousing/commodity management
- Asset Management.
- Administration – Disciplines covered under administration are:
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Take lead in the operations department in the absence of Operations Director.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Direct report: Senior procurement officer, logistics officer, head driver, operations officer and asset controller.
- Reports Directly To: Operations Director
- Works Directly With: Field operations teams, finance department, programs.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- A minimum of five years field experience in administrative or operational support functions with a humanitarian non-governmental organization.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of any of the three major local language desirable but not essential.
- Experience in setting up and managing administration and financial management systems.
- Experience in procurement, logistics, and human resource management.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in humanitarian assistance field emergency/relief settings.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to act as an intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure a smooth process flow while maintaining a balance between program implementation and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 18th October, 2019.