ZOA are an international NGO with its Head Quarters in The Netherlands. ZOA offer RELIEF to people who are affected by conflict or natural disasters. ZOA want to contribute to a new perspective of HOPE in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the RECOVERY until they can provide to take care of their livelihoods. ZOA work in fifteen countries in Africa, Middle East Region and Asia and have approximately 1000 employees worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Assistant
Location: Monguno L.G.A, Borno
ZOA’s Programme in Nigeria
- ZOA started operations in Nigeria December 2016, supporting IDPs and returnees of Boko Haram affected states. In the selection of the beneficiaries, we pay careful attention to include the most vulnerable households. Continuously promoting community governance, inclusion, peace and stability in these fragmented and traumatized communities is a challenging but essential part of ZOA’s programme.
- ZOA currently have full team in Borno State; respond to the critical needs in Food Security and livelihood and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
Purpose of the position
- The MEAL assistant supports the MEAL Officer and the Manager for Program Quality in ensuring high-quality and effective project/ program monitoring, evaluation, accountability (CRM) and learning (internal and external) of all ZOA Nigeria projects.
- The MEAL Assistant provides support to ensure that PSEA and Complaint Response Mechanisms (CRM) activities and systems run according to policy to guarantee that accountability standards are met.
- This position is based in Monguno, Borno State, Nigeria with reporting to ZOA office in Maiduguri as approved by line manager for purposes reporting and team meetings.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Assists the MPQ and MEAL Officer and/or their designates to develop high-quality tools for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning through appropriate systems (Red Rose, RR collect, Kobo and others), Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM), price market monitoring, beneficiary selection, Evaluations, Baselines, Mid-lines, end-lines, KAP surveys, FGDs, specialized assessments (Participatory Capacity and Vulnerability Assessment, Gender Analysis etc.) and Real time reviews
- Ensures data is uploaded properly and presented for analysis according to the specifications of the MPQ, MEAL officer or designates.
- Supports MPQ, PGM, Project managers and MEAL officer or designates in developing project or proposal log frames with appropriate indicators according to ZOA standardized indicator document or specifications of donor and relevant stakeholders.
- Supports the MPQ, MEAL officer or designates in project kick-offs specifically in calendaring the MEAL and CRM plans per project.
- Participates and represents ZOA in the conduct of joint assessments and evaluations by the wider humanitarian /civil society community and maybe designated to represented in the MEAL Technical Working groups as necessary.
- Ensures that project teams, data gathering teams and/or enumerators fully understand the purpose/framework of the tools leading to accurate translation and probing questions and are sufficiently prepared in technology use.
- Leads data gathering team on field and acts as data gatherer when appropriate.
- Supports MPQ, Accountability Officer and MEAL Officer in the efficient and effective running of the Complaints and Response Mechanism/ Community Feedback mechanisms (Help desk, Hotlines, suggestion boxes, face to face complaints, community feedback mechanisms etc.) according to ZOA policy and guidelines.
- Mobilizes support from project CRM focal points in documenting and recording complaints and feedback.
- Supports MPQ or designates in conducting ZOA wide trainings on accountability to affected populations and in cooperation with HR, Focal points include trainings in PSEA, accountability to affected populations and ZOA code of conduct.
- Conducts, organizes or participates in community feedback meetings
- Coordinates with key actors to provide appropriate and timely response to complaints and feedback.
- Supports the MPQ in selection of external evaluators and supports in meeting on field / in-country logistics/ HR requirements of external evaluator towards successful completion of quality external evaluation.
- Supports the MPQ in conducting internal assessments.
- Maintains ZOA learning data base under the specification of the MPQ and/or MEAL Officer.
- Ensures that data base is usable for ZOA planning i.e. country strategic plan, project plan).
- Ensures synergy between MEAL and project teams and other stakeholders through joint analysis of MEAL reports and effective communications.
- Ensures that lessons learned workshops are conducted and outputs feedback to ZOA as knowledge.
- As directed by MPQ
- ZOA beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries
- Local/community leaders
- Enumerators and community volunteers
- MEAL officer
- Accountability Officer
- ZOA field managers and staff
- Supervises MEAL intern, MEAL volunteers, Enumerators.
- The candidate is expected to support the identity, vision and mission of ZOA.
The candidate has:
- Strong knowledge of and expertise in data analysis and presentation (Graphs, Maps, pivot tables)
- Strong knowledge in Kobo, Microsoft Excel for tools development, data analysis and management.
- Experience in electronic data collection and management tools such as the use of RR collect, kobo, Red Rose Platform or equivalent (i.e. Segovia), any GIS software or data base preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Good understanding of Core Humanitarian Standards, PSEA, Accountability to Affected populations.
- The ability to operate as part of a team in a multi- cultural, value- driven work environment, and to perform tasks with sensitivity to local culture.
- The ability to manage own workload and deadlines, and maintain ethical and professional conduct
- Knowledge/proficiency/fluency in written and spoken Kanuri and English
- Willingness to be based in Monguno
- Strong report writing skills
- University Graduate or Technical course diploma holders.
- Experience in ZOA project in any capacity for minimum of 3 months. For those with no experience within ZOA, 1-year experience in humanitarian projects in a similar position and experience related to WASH and CASH will be preferred.
Skills / Attitudes
- Data presentation and analysis skills (both qualitative and quantitative)
- Report writing
- Organized and has an eye for detail
- Able to manage stress and work under pressure
- Team player
- Based in Monguno. Applicants living near or in Monguno will have a distinct advantage.
Special Working Conditions
- Willingness to travel to other field offices, visit and train local partners.
- Willingness to accepts additional job responsibilities especially in emergency relief situations as and when requested to carry out any necessary tasks.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicate the position applying for in the subject line of application
Application Deadline 5:00pm; 4th February, 2020.