Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions – as part of a global community committed to lasting change. Our mission is to build a movement of 100MM Global Citizens whose actions will help achieve our vision of a world without extreme poverty by 2030.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Editorial Lead
Overview of the Position
- As part of this role, you may also be involved in supporting live events through editorial and social coverage.
- This role will be absolutely central to the development of Global Citizen’s editorial content across Africa. We are looking for someone really proactive, with creativity, ambition, and a drive to create and share educational, inspirational, and compelling content.
- In this role, you’ll be looking for new, creative ways to grow our audience both in Nigeria and across West Africa, working closely with your marketing colleagues as we look to grow the movement of Global Citizens throughout our 2020 campaign, Global Goal Live: The Possible Dream, and beyond.
- The Editorial Lead, Nigeria, will work closely with the Managing Editor for Africa and Europe (based in London, UK) to develop editorial content across a range of issues in the mission to end extreme poverty – including health, food & hunger, girls & women, water & sanitation, education, and environment.
- You’ll pitch and write content across a range of formats and topics – from campaigns and policy focus content to compelling interviews, listicles, issue explainers, event-related content, and more. You will be across email, social media, and video strategies within the Nigeria market – working closely with communications colleagues across all platforms.
- You’ll also lead a network of freelance writers across Africa, commissioning, assigning, and editing editorial pieces; and working with influencers and activists to bring in fascinating first-person pieces from a range of perspectives. You’ll also be responsible for hitting monthly content traffic targets.
- Assign, write, and edit original news stories relevant to the market in Nigeria, and West Africa more broadly.
- Manage a network of freelance writers from across Nigeria and West Africa to ensure high-quality content.
- Keep across and inform strategies of other key departments, including marketing, partnerships, social media, and video content.
- Analyse and report back on key performance metrics.
- Work closely with colleagues across campaigns, marketing, business development, and video to ensure that Nigeria’s priorities are well-represented in content.
- Knowledge of our target audience of 18-35s, and content that particularly resonates with that audience.
- Creative spirit and enjoyment of working closely with others.
- Interest in Global Citizen’s campaign areas and the mission to end extreme poverty.
- Genuine interest in people and in telling people’s stories.
- Ability to balance multiple projects at once in a quick-moving environment with shifting priorities.
- 3 years of experience in journalism, media or writing capacity.
- Experience of leading an editorial team or a network of freelancers.
- Experience of writing and editing in a fast-paced writing team, such as a newsroom or magazine editorial team.
- Fundamental understanding and appreciation of journalism and media ethics.
- Familiarity with metrics reporting tools.
- Understanding of social media, and how to frame and position content to perform well on social media.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply