International Alert is one of the world’s leading peacebuilding organisations, with over 30 years of experience supporting communities, advising governments, organisations and companies on how to build peace. Alert works with people in conflict-affected and threatened areas to make a positive difference for peace; to improve the substance and implementation of international policies relevant to peacebuilding; and to strengthen the peacebuilding sector.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance and Operations Support Officer
Locations: Damaturu – Yobe, & Maiduguri – Borno
Reporting To: Finance and Operations Officer (NE)
- The position will be responsible for supporting financial, operational and administrative management of Alert’s scope of work of an EU-funded consortium project led by Save the Children, to Support Early Recovery from Conflict and Resilience Building in Yobe and Borno States.
- One position is based in Damaturu with travel to implementation sites in Yobe State; and the other position is based in Maiduguri with travel to implementation sites in Borno states.
- The FOSO will ensure that all of Alert’s finance, operations and administration actions are compliant with donor and internal policies.
- Maintain petty cash float
- Provide capacity-building support and spot-check visits to partner organizations
- Thoroughly review all partner financial reports and ensure collaboration with project manager for coherence between workplan and expenses reported
- Prepare and submit monthly financial report and documents to the country office
- Prepare fund requests for Alert office running costs and service providers in a timely manner
- Review all staff activity and travel expenditure requests and advance retirements for processing
- Support project managers in preparing partner budgets and fund requests
- Ensure value for money, transparency, and compliance in all expenditure and ensure that records are properly filed
- Prepare a project procurement plan for all equipment and assets
- Ensure that all local procurement is conducted transparently and with adherence to Alert and donor policy. Conduct due diligence assessment of suppliers
- Ensure update of Damaturu/Maiduguri office inventory and tagging of all assets
- Organize logistics (transport, accommodation) for visitors to Yobe/Borno
- Participate in updating of the country security plan and ensure that Alert’s country security plan is adhered to by all staff in Yobe/Borno
- Prepare SOP documents for each LGA in Yobe/ Borno where Alert is operational
- Ensure necessary security equipment is procured and maintained
- Attend INSO security meetings and share information with colleagues as needed
- Conduct security briefings for visitors to Yobe/Borno
- Ensure close monitoring of the political and security environment and communicate to colleagues as necessary.
- Maintain office first aid box and hibernation kit
- Collect staff timesheets on a monthly basis
- Support administrative management of staff & record-keeping (emergency contacts, insurance, etc.)
- Other relevant tasks as required by the line manager
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 1 year of experience working in Yobe/ Borno State
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and in a high-risk security environment
- Willingness to travel regularly to rural locations
- Relevant degree: accounting, security and logistics certifications would be an asset
- At least 3 years working in finance and operations; experience with an INGO would be an asset
- Strong competence working with Excel; knowledge of SUN System and other financial tools would be an asset
- English fluency (oral and written), Hausa fluency
- Knowledge of other languages prevalent in Yobe and Borno State would be an advantage
- 1 staff Based in Damaturu with regular travel to Yobe LGAs, and 1 in Maiduguri with regular Borno LGAs; and sporadic travel to Alert’s Abuja office
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send in a CV of maximum 3 pages and a Cover Letter maximum 2 pages (Include your salary requirements in your application) to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 27th March, 2020.
- Applications that do not follow the above requirements will not be considered.
- This position is only open to Nigerian nationals.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful.
- Please do not send follow-up emails or calls.
- International Alert is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be judged strictly on the basis of merit.