The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is the world’s largest humanitarian network and is guided by seven Fundamental Principles: Humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, universality and unity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Disaster Management Officer
Vacancy No: IFRC03954
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: Not applicable
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”) is the World’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- The overall aim of the IFRC is” to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The Federation is served by a Secretariat based in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world.
- The Secretariat is led by the IFRC Secretary General and provides the central capacity of the International Federation to serve, connect, and represent National Societies. The Secretariat’s focus includes providing support to the IFRC governance mechanisms; setting norms and standards; providing guidance; ensuring consistency; coordination and accountability for performance; knowledge sharing; promoting collaboration within and respect for the RCRC Movement; and expanding engagement with partners.
- The Secretariat has five regional office, as follows: Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia/Pacific (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa (Beirut). The IFRC office in Abuja is the hub to support the Red Cross National Societies of the West Coast Cluster (Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Liberia) and has a status agreement with Nigerian government. The West Coast cluster office deliver the IFRC mandate in the sub-region with a focus on Disaster Management, Capacity Building of the National Societies and Humanitarian Diplomacy.
- Under the supervision of the IFRC Disaster Management delegate, the Senior DM Officer will ensure timely, effective and efficient support in disaster risk management activities for the National Societies of the cluster, with a special focus on the Nigerian Red Cross Society.
- He/She will work in building the disaster and response preparedness capacities of the Nigerian Red Cross and other National Societies to enable them to improve their disaster management capacities before, during and after disasters.
- The post holder will support and monitor the implementation of DREFs and Emergency Appeals in Nigeria and other countries of the cluster, ensuring timely and quality delivery of operations according to IFRC standards and requirements.
- A high level of coordination and collaboration will be required with the Nigerian Red Cross and other National Societies as well as with the different counterparts in the DCPRR team of the IFRC regional office in Nairobi to ensure a harmonised approach across the region
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Build capacity and competencies of the Nigerian Red Cross and other National Societies on Disaster Management and support them in becoming a relevant partner for Disaster Risk Management in their respective countries.
- Coordinate the scaling-up of ‘Preparedness for Effective Response’ approach and improving coordination and harmonisation of DRM capacity building approaches
- Provide technical support to National Societies with the design, implementation and evaluation of emergency operations (DREF and Emergency Appeals).
- Support the National Societies with the process of hazards mapping, development and review of Contingency Plans, SOPs at national and branch levels.
- Participate in relevant meetings with Red Cross Movement partners, Governments, donors, NGOs and UN Agencies co-financing and implementing initiatives for disaster risk management.
- Support national societies in the development of disaster risk management proposals.
- Organize yearly the Africa Disaster Management Advisory Group (ADMAG) sub-regional meeting to enhance collaboration and coordination of national societies within the West Coast Cluster region
- Ensure the Disaster Management Country Operational Plans for the West Coast Cluster and Nigeria are implemented and meet the targets.
- Provision of technical guidance and oversight to the National Societies in establishing preparedness systems, development of standard operating procedures for Forecast Based Financing (FbF) and in establishing and managing of FbF partnerships.
- Ensure National Societies are familiar with the various tools and guidelines for disaster risk management, interventions and that operations and activities are managed and implemented in accordance with Federation’s strategic programme framework and agreed standards including Red Cross Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
- Conduct monitoring and supervisory visits to relevant IFRC programme activity sites in the field, in particular to DREF and Appeals implemented in Nigeria and the cluster.
- Provision of technical guidance and oversight to the National Societies on Cash Transfer preparedness and programming in different contexts.
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences facilitate training sessions for National Society technical staff and volunteers in various areas opartners in stakeholder consultations;
- Organize and f disaster risk management.
- Ensure effective working relationships with the DM departments of the Nigerian Red Cross and other National Societies of the region, and work to create synergies and links between Operations and Disaster Risk Management.
- Support National Societies to analyse and integrate livelihoods, disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation and mitigation concerns into disaster preparedness, response, cash and recovery programming.
- Perform other duties in addition to the above responsibilities, commensurate with background and experience as deemed necessary by Supervisor.
- Advanced university degree in Development Studies, Project Management, Disaster Management or other relevant field.
- Professional training in disaster risk management
- At least five years of relevant experience in the field of disaster risk management
- Experience of working for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- At least 2 years of working for a humanitarian aid organisation
- Experience of planning and managing finances and budgets
Knowledge, Skills and Languages:
- Strong and highly developed technical skills in disaster risk management international practices
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills
- Fluently spoken and written in English is required
- Fluency spoken and written in French is preferred
- Self-supporting in computers (word processing, spreadsheets, internet and web-based searching etc.)
- Solid and tested analytical skills
- Operational management and reporting skills
Competencies and Values
- National Society Relations
- Communication Managerial effectiveness
- Initiative and direction
- Flexibility, Patience and adaptability-sensitivity to diversity
- Teamwork-interpersonal skills
- Integrity and personal conduct
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th May, 2020.