Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 focusing its programming on adolescent girlsТ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Director
Program / Department Summary
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for developing and implementing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines within Mercy Corps Nigeria. This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; country wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; country wide performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life)
General Position Summary
- The Human Resources Director provides leadership of the human resource and organizational development function in Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- S/he ensures the overall provision of HR services, policies, and programs for the Nigeria Country Office. This includes developing and implementing and managing HR processes and procedures in accordance with Nigeria policy laws / standards; leadership of the HR Team; supporting the driving of initiatives and projects aimed at ensuring the MCN Team is as happy & productive as possible at all times; and ensuring HR documentation is compliant with all donor policies.
- In addition, the HR Director builds the capacity of all team members across all offices. S/he provides support and advises the Country Director on HR issues. The HR Director works closely with all team members as a part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) to bring efficiency in Nigeria HR procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The roles and responsibilities of the HR Director include but are not limited to:
Strategy & Vision:
- Identify weaknesses in current HR systems. Advise supervisor on outstanding issues and assist in designing and implementing, as required.
- Establish annual HR work plan, set priorities, monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and set standards
- Liaise with HQ, regional and country offices to support and contribute to HR strategy implementation
- Provide technical leadership to the country HR team including reviewing and supervising the work of the HR team and setting of annual capacity development plans for each team member
- Strategic oversight of all Mercy Corps Human Resources processes inclusive of Talent acquisition and development, Recruitment & Selection, performance management, Compensation and benefits, Employee relation, HR Policy and processes, grievances and counselling and stakeholder Management.
- Develop, implement and monitor the interpretation and application of new human resources systems, practices and procedures
Recruitment, Selection And Onboarding:
- Ensure the recruitment of national staff adheres to the standing Recruiting Guideline and are in compliance with government regulations.
- Organize, lead and document post-recruitment conversations with managers and candidates.
- Responsible for the orientation of all new, national staff on Mercy Corps Country systems, policies and procedures.
- Ensure HR staff is providing new hires MC ID card, email and all relevant documents upon starting their positions. This includes signing of a Job Description, contract, policies and procedures especially the National Staff Handbook and Security Manual.
- Ensure newly hired national and expatriate team members are informed and have access to global HR & Ethics guidance including MC Essentials, Code of Conduct and Security and all relevant policies and are alerted to benefits. Continue with support and advice on policies, as required.
- Help design optimal program and shared services staffing plans
- Be actively involved in proposal recruitment and pre-positioning of candidates.
- Partner across departments and projects to ensure talent acquisition is integrated with Mercy Corps priorities
- Ensure Diversity & Inclusion are integrated in talent acquisition and management initiatives
Human Resource Management:
- Ensure Salaries and benefits adhere to Mercy Corps salary scales and standing protocols.
- Conduct job evaluations on new and existing positions and manage country wide job audits to ensure equity and competitiveness within the job market
- Ensure that all national staff have an up-to-date relevant job description.
- Ensure monthly payroll in conjunction with payroll coordinator and finance staff and ensure payroll is delivered in a timely manner.
- Advise staff (national and international) on disciplinary procedures. In collaboration with Ethics & Assurance Manager on participate in disciplinary, hiring and termination meetings and on HR investigations.
- During all parts of the human resource life cycle, promote the Mercy Corps Nigeria goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity
- Manage and maintain office/work spaces in such a way that fosters a harmonious work environment that reinforces Mercy CorpsТ culture of innovation, influence and impact
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy CorpsТ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure Mercy Corps personnel policies strictly adhere to Country labour law as applicable. This includes payment of appropriate taxes, benefits etc.
- Liaise with program managers to ensure country org charts for programs and operations exist and positions are covered within budgets. Make sure that org charts are updated on regular basis.
- Ensure update and upkeep of tracking system for all types of leave for all employees.
- Ensure efficient Performance Management Systems is in place and there is a clear understanding of Performance Management Tools
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback and assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Oversee the clearance of terminated employees, as per MC policies and procedures.
- Act as HR partner to all Mercy Corps Nigeria Team members. Using available HR data agree and deploy annual employee relations calendars to provide a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation within our offices.
- Ensure all personnel, recruitment, and other HR files are maintained as per defined MC protocols.
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/ pay rates.
- Alongside legal counsellor and Country Director, manage all human resource related legal issues in compliance with Nigeria labor law.
- Proactively update senior management on any issues & grievances and ensure efficient and transparent solutions that protect both Mercy Corps Nigeria Team members and Mercy Corps interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures and global guidelines in term of safeguarding.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Promote a safe and inclusive work environment that, regardless of the context, is consistent with Mercy Corps’ culture of care
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility HR Team:
- Reports Directly To: Country Director
- Works Directly With: Senior Management Team, Ethics & Assurance Manager, Global HR & Talent Acquisition Team, Program Leads, Managers and other hiring managers
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field.
- Requires National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) or an exemption.
- Requires at least ten years of experience with seven years of strong, demonstrated management experience in the INGO sector in strategic HR.
- Proficiency in computer applications to include MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of donor regulations including USAID, EC, DFID.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
- In depth knowledge of Nigeria employment practices and legal regulations pertaining to payroll and employment
- Highly motivated with ability to analyze information and problem solving
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and ability to deal with confidential information in a discrete manner
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, advanced knowledge of written and spoken English is essential.
- The successful Human Resource Director will have the ability to multitask, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team.
- S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions.
- S/he will possess a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity.
- S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Cover Letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the position as the subject of the email
Application Deadline 2nd June, 2020.