Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Project Overview and Role
- The UK Department of International Development (DFID) appointed Palladium as the Supplier to deliver the UK Support for Health in Nigeria – Lafiya contract. Lafiya will be delivered at federal level, as well as with a focus on targeted states (Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano and Yobe) with activities tailored for each specific state instead of a “one size fits all” approach. The programme will run for an initial term of up to 7 years from February 2020 to finish by January 2027 (subject to availability of funding and other approvals by the Client)
- The objective of the Lafiya contract is to improve health outcomes for the poorest and most vulnerable in Nigeria through the following interlinked outcomes:
- Increased resources invested in health, and prioritisation of health by Government of Nigeria (through civil society advocacy on human capital, community accountability for health; and use of data to inform government prioritisation of health)
- Improving effectiveness and efficiency of public and private basic health services (through health system strengthening, and working with the private sector to improve delivery of affordable health services for the poorest populations); and
- Reducing total fertility rate (through addressing social norms, demographic impact analysis, and support to family planning demand creation and delivery of services)
These outcomes will be achieved through a “joined-up, One-Team” delivery of the following outputs:
- Output 1 “Advocacy & Accountability”: Increased demand for affordable basic health services through community accountability, and increased prioritisation of human capital (health, education, nutrition, WASH) through civil society advocacy
- Output 2 “Data for delivery / health prioritisation”: Improved awareness and prioritisation by senior leadership in Government of Nigeria, using data in line with a “delivery-type” approach
- Output 3 “Technical Assistance to maximise Government of Nigeria resources and efficiency”: Improved efficiency of existing resources for delivery of health services
- Output 4 “Private sector”: Improved effectiveness of private sector in delivering affordable basic health services
- Output 5 “Demographics and Family Planning”: Supporting family planning services through demand creation and addressing social norms/behaviour change including analysis and communication of the wider impact of demographics.
Lafiya will be delivered at federal level, as well as with a focus on targeted states (Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano and Yobe) with activities tailored for each specific state instead of a “one size fits all” approach.
- The Finance Assistant is part of the Lafiya Programme’s Support Team, providing financial management support to the programme
- The Finance Assistant will work with the Support Unit to maintain the programme financial records, support the Finance Coordinator on the daily routine financial functions in line with value for money principles, in accordance with the programme budget, contractual obligations, company policies, Group Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines and client rules and regulations
- They will utilise reporting from Palladium’s Enterprise Resource System, and MS Excel analytics to provide required inputs and reporting for the programme team, the Project Manager and the Programme Leadership, and Palladium’s Corporate Financial Management Team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Assistant – HQ shall be responsible for the following:
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Provide initial review of all invoices/payment requests and initiate timely action in line with Project procedures/processes towards processing such payments;
- Reconciliation of all Petty Cash Books;
- Reconciliation of vendors’ statements prior to payment of any invoices;
- Support the Finance Coordinator in Overseeing the maintenance of a robust filing system for easy retrieval of documents finance documentation both manual and electronic;
- Assist the Finance Coordinator in preparation of HQ monthly forecasts and expenditure variance reporting.
- Provide effective cover in the event of the absence of the Finance Coordinator from duty.
- Support in preparation of weekly Field Vouchers for review and final submission by the Finance Coordinator;
- Manage all staff travel/activity advances, ensuring they are timeously liquidated, reconciled and reported in line with Lafiya Programme procedures.
- Support the Finance Coordinator in accounts reconciliations, which includes but not limited to:
- Activity advance liquidation
The role reports to the Finance Coordinator HQ with dotted reporting to National Finance Manager. Reporting requirements include:
- Provision of regular updates to the Finance Coordinator
- Monthly submission of HQ forecasts;
- Weekly Field Vouchers
- Other reporting as requested by the line manager.
- The role will form part of the Project Financial Management team and will work closely with members of the Lafiya Programme team (and particularly the Finance Manager) as well as other Palladium programme teams in Nigeria, Financial Management team members across the company and the technical Practice Areas.
- The role liaises with the Finance Coordinator, HQ Technical Teams, the broader Lafiya Administration team, vendors, service providers, and other project staff and stakeholders as required.
- University Degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Accounting, Project Management or Social Sciences.
- Demonstrated relevant work experience.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Intermediate level skills in Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable in a Windows PC environment.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated by ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff, clients and consultants.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply