ActionAid (AA) Nigeria Vacancy for a Consultant - Development of National Citizen Report
Mar 4, 2020, 12:30 PM
ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Development of National Citizen Report on 'The Status of Governance and the Implementation of African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance' (ACDEG) in Nigeria
The Continental Citizen Report is produced by the Africa We Want Project on Mobilising Civil Society Support for Implementation of the African Governance Architecture, funded by the European Union. The project unites the strengths of a consortium of 14 CSO partners led by ActionAid Denmark (AADK), working in eight focus countries (Ghana, Mozambique, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe), with a strong regional dimension delivered by civil society platforms/co-applicants WACSOF, EACSOF and SADC-CNGO and continental impact based on ActionAid’s well-established international advocacy networks.
The project seeks to enhance CSO monitoring of implementation of the ACDEG to inform dialogue with the AU member states as well as AU institutions; hence the intervention producing Citizen Reports at National and Continental Levels to support the AU advocacy efforts and as well at the Regional Economic Commissions levels. The study is structured according to the commitments in the African Charter on Democracy Elections and Governance, to monitor the way in which it is implemented at national level, analyzed based on three (3) processes/tools – Legal Analysis, Perceptions Analysis based on the Afro-Barometer as well as the Community Score Card. The three (3) processes/tools have been conducted in the form of participatory workshops for experts to judge the state of legal compliance; public perceptions data about the performance of governments regarding the principles in the ACDEG drawn from Afro-barometer data; and citizen rankings of the level of implementation gathered through Community Score Cards.
ActionAid Nigeria is in the process of developing the National Citizen Reports analyzing eight (8) key indicators which focuses on freedom of expression; freedom of association; freedom to conduct elections without interference; freedom to engage in civic activities; equality; perceptions on institutions supporting democracy; perceptions on quality of elections; and decentralization. The National Citizen Reports will feed into the Continental Citizen Report which would incorporates findings from the eight focus countries.
Hence, ActionAid Nigeria is engaging the services of a consultant to develop the National Citizen Report on the state of the implementation of ACDEG combining the finding from the community score card (Focus Group Discussion) Legal Analysis and the findings from the Afro-barometer report.
- The consultant shall develop the National citizen reports. The Citizen’s Report shall integrate the findings of the participatory research conducted by ActionAid Nigeria in the six (6) geo political zone, the Legal Analysis, and findings of the Community Score card, Afro-Barometer Survey as well as views of other scholarly work around the African Union shared value instruments.
- The consultant is expected to conduct an in-depth desk review research of AU pro-democracy and human rights instruments, Reports and other literatures that focuses on democratic governance in Africa with clear linkage of the analysis to the Nigerian experience democratic experience between January 2019-January 2020, the Legal Analysis, Community Score Card and Afro Barometer.
- The Consultant is required to present the draft copy of the National Citizen’s report in a mini validation workshop to be conducted by AAN.
Place of Work / Administrative Support:
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task. Interested consultants are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency.
- S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment and space except where otherwise stated.
Ownership of Outputs:
- Outputs of this contract as stipulated in the terms of reference belong to ActionAid Nigeria and ActionAid International.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The consultant will be free to work independently from any base location or where required
- S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment and space except where otherwise stated
- The consultant will work, be accountable directly to ActionAid Nigeria’s Governance Manager / Team.
Qualifications and Criteria For Selection
- At least a Bachelor or Master's Degree in Humanities, Law or Social Sciences with a minimum of 7-year experience in development work, Political Science and familiar with AU frameworks, governance in Africa and most importantly, ACDEG
- The Successful consultant should have a good grasp of the Nigerian Electoral cycle and must have worked on issue relating to electoral reforms, and conversant with political party role in deepening democracy.
- Proven experience in research skills
- Familiarity with development works
- Good knowledge of African Union and ECOWAS structure.
- Strong analytical skill
- Proficient writing skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) electronically (must be in ONE Microsoft word file) to: Procurement.Nigeria@actionaid.org using "ACDEG CITIZEN’S REPORT" as the subject of the mail.
- Interested Writers are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency (include the fee for undertaking the task on the last page of your CV. Please note that only a flat fee will be paid. Daily rate does not apply.) Links to sample of past works or any relevant information, demonstrating skill and experience in this area should also be included.
- The submission must be in ONE Microsoft word file.
- Failure to follow the directions above will lead to the disqualification of your application
- The selected Consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task
Application Deadline 12th March, 2020.