Automotive Mechanic at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Automotive Mechanic - All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-053
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE - 1020 5
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-5
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM - FP is 09. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Basic Function - The incumbent serves as a Maintenance Mechanic in General Services Office/Motor pool (GSO).
- S/he is responsible for the daily operation of vehicle maintenance and automotive service scheduling.
- Provides quality control for major maintenance on vehicles and performing basic on-site maintenance on vehicles.
- Performs major and minor overhaul and repair work to engines, transmissions, brake systems, springs, shocks absorbent, steering mechanisms, electrical, fuel and hydraulic systems, wheel assemblies, and other vehicles components.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma is required. Vocational automotive repair training, journeyman mechanic, or apprenticeship certification is required.
- Minimum of two years of experience as an automotive mechanic with auto electrical experience is required.
- Good working knowledge of vehicle diagnostics and troubleshooting practices, commercial and local market costs for parts and supplies, local dealership and maintenance facilities for specialized auto servicing and repairs is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must hold a valid Nigeria driver's license and be able to operate different types of vehicles such as utility and passenger vehicles, medium trucks, and forklifts.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and determine the causes of a malfunction and be able to use diagnostic tools and software to troubleshoot vehicle problems.
- Must have basic computer skills to use proprietary software and prepare simple reports.
- Must be able to interpret shop manuals, parts catalogs and diagrams, and understand technical language of the trade.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Benefits and Other Info
- Salary: N4,382,748 (USD31,083) Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License.
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor's Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section - 09-461-4000, [email protected]
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications
Application Deadline 26th May, 2022.