Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Chief of Party at the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP)
Chief of Party at the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP)
Mar 12, 2020, 9:30 AM
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries. At USP everything we do is in service of our mission to help protect and improve the health of people around the world. From the standards we create to the partnerships we foster, we continually work to build and reinforce a foundation that draws us closer to a world where everyone can be confident of quality in health and healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Chief of Party Ref No: ID:1634-679 Location: Abuja Job Type: Full-Time/Regular Job Category: Global Public Health
- The Chief of Party serves as the primary liaison with USAID, relevant government agencies, and key stakeholders to ensure achievement of program deliverables, and to ensure that PQM+ activities complement on-going initiatives.
- The Chief of Party will manage a team of staff in achieving program results while maintaining operational excellence. This position is contingent upon funding being awarded.
- The Chief of Party is the Country lead management position for the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) Program, a Cooperative Agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP).
- The Chief of Party provides overall in-country leadership for strategy, management, and program implementation to achieve the PQM+ goal towards sustainably strengthening medical product quality assurance systems. (S)he ensures consistent, effective, and compliant country program operations and the timely delivery of products that meet work plan objectives that are aligned with the priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations.
- In conjunction with program leadership, is instrumental in facilitating country startup, including mission buy-in, staffing, and logistics;
- Oversea all human resources and personnel management issues and tasks, including recruitment, onboarding of local staff and performance management to ensure compliance of established policies and procedures
- Manage teams of in-country and HQ staff to accomplish technical excellence in the delivery of program activities and in the M&E, learning, and communication of program results;
- Supervise a team of technical, program management and operations staff and ensure strong communication and coordination with PQM+ management and other relevant USP Rockville-based staff.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight for overall management of the PQM+ country program. This includes but is not limited to leading program design and developing work plans, leading overall implementation of project activities, and setting performance targets to meet priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations;
- Lead the implementation of program activities, monitor program progress, account for deliverables, monitor that the implementation of PQM+ activities are of high quality, and produce timely quarterly and annual progress reports;
- Accountable for the overall program operations, financial and contractual management, and compliance with USAID regulations;
- Oversees the accuracy, clarity, and quality of progress reports and other project documentation necessary for USAID reporting, ensuring they are completed in accordance with USAID and USP policies and procedures and submitted in a timely manner;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with senior government officials, head of Agencies, leaders of pharmaceutical associations, donors, and other in-country stakeholders;
- Responsible for USAID relationship management, serving as PQM+ representative to USAID mission.
- Provide leading voice for advocacy on medicines quality assurance systems strengthening by active participation in national committees, advisory groups, and contribute to formulation of national policies in pharmaceuticals;
- Represent the PQM+ Program and increase the program’s visibility among key stakeholders through networking and active participation at relevant meetings and forums; engage with other Implementing Partners to take advantage of opportunities for leveraging existing initiatives and sharing of best practices;
- Monitors and promotes compliance within country staff (e.g., through quarterly check-ins focused on issues and risks), flagging and mitigating potential risks early
- Proactively raises any risks to USP PQM+ leadership team, helping to identify resolution, and developing strategies to mitigate future issues
- Reviews and implements USP PQM+ policies, procedures and practices; recommends improvements to processes and controls to improve compliance and mitigate risks
- Country staff, Technical specialists, Finance & admin resources, etc.
- Demonstrated Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations and reporting requirements
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical management issues in public health programs and challenges for meeting global health objectives.
- Master's degree in a health-related field required
- Minimum of 12+ years of professional experience in the successful implementation of donor-funded programs with a minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience leading and managing diverse teams on USAID- funded global health program implementation and project management.
- Existing relationships with key donors and implementing partners working on health and pharmaceutical systems strengthening preferred
- Strong people management skills, including of virtual, matrixed teams
- Excellent client relationship management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in cross-cultural settings.
- Ability to demonstrate highest degree of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel up to 25% time.
- PhD in health-related field
- Expertise in health systems strengthening preferred.
- Physician, pharmacist, or other health profession qualification highly desirable
- Extensive experience leading effective, timely, and quality implementation of donor-funded (particularly USAID-funded) global health or international development projects
- Significant experience working with high level officials in USAID and country governments
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts