Christian Aid (CA) recruitment for a Graduate Human Resource Intern
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Intern
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to (Job Title): Human Resource Officer
Expected travel per annum: 15 – 20 days
- The internship Programme in Christian Aid Nigeria is designed to provide on-the-job training across administration, people skills, program management, research and data gathering, communication and work ethics. The Programme enhances the educational experience of interns through practical and guided hands-on exposure; involvement in Christian Aid Nigeria’s development projects; exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of Christian Aid Nigeria’s goals and activities.
- The Human Resource intern will work closely with the Human Resource Officer to deliver on the human resource requirements of the humanitarian response programme as well as the management of Christian Aid Nigeria volunteers. The role reports to the Human Resource Officer.
- The role fits within the International Department and specifically within the Nigeria country programme.
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring proper documentation and filing of Volunteer information, supporting the Human Resource Officer to with process volunteer payments, support with recruitment and onboarding processes.
- Support human resource management process for Christian Aid Nigeria
- Support with the implementation and ensure adherence to HR policy and practices that are consistent with global policy and compliant with local statutory and legislative requirements that prevents organizational conflicts.
- Provide support and guidance to staff on CAID PMS processes and procedures.
- Provide support with coordination of Test and oral interviews within the humanitarian response, i.e. proactively following up with Hiring Manager to receive test questions, ensuring written test tools are set and ready for use by candidate(s), receiving candidate(s) warmly and making sure test and interview venue is set for use etc
- Provide cover for the front office as may be required.
- Support with filling and documentation related to staff (hard and soft copies) as may be required including volunteer documentation.
- Take minutes of meetings and assist in the elaboration of papers, power point presentations and analytical contributions, as well as other products and tools that will facilitate human resource management activities in the humanitarian response.
- Support with Performance review for CAID volunteers within Borno State.
- Assist with onboarding and induction plan for new hires, linking new hires with line manager and ensuring a bubby is selected and linked with the new hire(s).
- Other tasks/duties as required.
- External: Christian Aid Nigeria visitors, and stakeholders
- Internal: Christian Aid country programme staff and volunteers
- Make decisions to assist the team’s delivery of core mandate. Also, providing input and operational support in programme deliver as may be required. Day to day decision to ensure effective delivery of responsibilities. Make decisions in line with CA policies on human resources and operations.
- Contribute to humanitarian response operations.
- S/he should be able to analyse situations and come up with recommendations
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet programme goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
Developing self and others:
- Has direct responsibility for understanding the policies and being creative around filing and documentation. Focus will be on volunteer information management.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Degree in Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration or any related field
- Completion of National Youth Service with about 1-year working experience
- Demonstrated interest in the field of development and Human Resource management in International aid organization
- Language skills; written and spoken proficiency in English and preferably a command of the local language.
- Internet proficiency, as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), is required.
- Proven strong academic track record.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigerian Labour and employment laws
- Understanding of the context will be an added advantage.
IT competency required:
LEVEL 1: You are expected to be able to:
- Work in a reliable, helpful and cooperative way with all colleagues and provide help to others without needing to be asked.
- Willingly participate in team work and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role.
- Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area.
- Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity and respect, accepting that people are different and have different views.
- Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Pass on a clear message or information promptly and accurately.
- Ask additional questions to clarify when needed.
- Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood.
- Be aware of how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary.
- Use resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources.
- Recognise that time is a resource and take responsibility for managing your time effectively.
- Agree your work Christian Aid, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed.
- Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations.
- Consider the consequences of your actions, including the impact on your work and colleagues.
- Take personal responsibility for your actions.
- Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed and to ensure appropriate signoff.
- Respond promptly to the requests of others, seeking guidance on priorities and workload when needed.
- Question and ask for information and advice to address your own knowledge and skills gaps to learn.
- Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance.
- Act and behave consistently in line with Christian Aid’s values.
- Assist others by showing how to complete tasks.
- Demonstrate concern for the wellbeing of others.
Strive for improvement:
- Demonstrate openness to change.
- Show initiative when faced with problems.
- Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others.
- Respond quickly and helpfully to new initiatives.
- Find ways to make improvements in your work.
Salary (full time)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Click here for more Information (PDF)
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- They will expect you to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication
2nd June, 2020.
11th June, 2020.