Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Christian Aid recruitment for a Field Office Finance Assistant
Christian Aid recruitment for a Field Office Finance Assistant
Jan 16, 2019, 6:36 PM
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Field Office Finance Assistant Locations: Shani, Dikwa & Mongunu, Borno Department: International Type of Contract: Fixed Term Contracted Hours: 35 Contract Length: 2 Months Reports to: Finance Officer Slot: 3 Openings Role Purpose
- To support CA financial management functions at the field offices and ensure that adequate financial records are kept at field offices and payment requests are processed on a timely basis.
- The finance associates will be responsible for preparing financial documentation, petty cash reimbursement, petty cash advances and for coordinating payment to volunteers etc
- The role is required to be familiar with CA and donor financial compliance requirements and to ensure that these are operationalised in the field office they are responsible for.
- The finance team leads on all financial reporting in the country program and is responsible for managing the financial grants secured from donors.
- This role sits in the various field offices in the humanitarian team and links up strongly with the Maiduguri Field Office.
- Cash, bank books and other financial documentation is maintained and reconciled on a monthly basis.
- Ensures Christian Aid and donor financial policies and procedures are complied with.
- Timely submission of reports to line manager to enable final reports to be prepared on a timely
- Stock is reviewed and valued and submitted to Finance officer on a monthly basis for posting to SUN.
- Coordinates payments to volunteers, casual workers etc.
- (Key relationships, frequency of contact, purpose of contact (liaison/influencing/negotiating etc.).
- Maintains and builds relationships with donors, third parties, suppliers and other relevant external agencies.
- The position is line managed by the Finance Officer who is in turn managed by the Finance Coordinator. However, for day to day operational issues, the Associate will report to the most senior CA staff in the field office.
- The role links up strongly with the Maiduguri Finance Team,particularly the Finance Coordinator as well as the Program leads.
- Make decisions to assist in the smooth running of financial processing. Providing advice on financial policies and procedures to local Christian Aid staff. Support the maintenance of all financial records.
- Ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to routine work in a specific area. Occasionally providing analysis or advice on financial matters.
- Will familiarise self with CA policies to ensure that field office and staff based there are complying.
- First Degree in Accounting
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience working with institutional donors, particularly WFP, FAO etc
- Experience working with an Accounting software, preferably SUN
- At the early stages of an IFAC accountancy qualification.
- IT competency required Basic.
- Work in a reliable, helpful and cooperative way with all colleagues and provide help to others without needing to be asked. Willingly participate in team work and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role. Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area.
- Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity and respect, accepting that people are different and have different views.
- Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. Pass on a clear message or information promptly and accurately.
- Ask additional questions to clarify when needed.
- Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood. Be aware of how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary.
- Use resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources. Recognise that time is a resource and take responsibility for managing your time effectively.
- Agree your work plan, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed.
- Respond promptly to the requests of others, seeking guidance on priorities and workload when needed. Consider the consequences of your actions, including the impact on your work and colleagues.
- Take personal responsibility for your actions.
- Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations.
- Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed and to ensure appropriate sign-off.
- Question and ask for information and advice to address your own knowledge and skills gaps in order to learn.
- Demonstrate concern for the wellbeing of others.
- Act and behave consistently in line with Christian Aid’s values.
- Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance.
- Assist others by showing how to complete tasks.
- Demonstrate openness to change.
- Respond quickly and helpfully to new initiatives.
- Find ways to make improvements in your work.
- Show initiative when faced with problems. Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts