Clinical Laboratories Manager at Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia
Mar 3, 2021, 6:07 AM
Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia - The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Tite: Clinical Laboratories Manager
Location: Fajara, Gambia
- We are looking for an experienced Laboratory professional to lead the Clinical Laboratories at Fajara. The post-holder has the overarching and priority goal of establishing and maintaining a clinical laboratory service according to Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and ISO15189 standards.
- S / he must develop functional working relationships with co-supervisors to ensure high quality clinical laboratory services.
- The post-holder must also create and maintain positive communication channels and relationships with scientists, clinicians, visitors, collaborators and other staff to optimize the clinical laboratory quality and services.
- M.Sc or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Significant experience of active work in a clinical laboratory environment with experience of providing laboratory support to clinical trials.
- Previous experience in a laboratory management role.
- Good working knowledge of training laboratory-based staff and developing competency-based training plans.
- Experience in the safe shipment of research samples and infectious organisms.
- Good budgetary and cost management skills.
- Good change management Skills.
- Keenness to train and impart knowledge.
- Good organisational and staff management skills with the ability to co-supervise staff with other managers.
- Experience of working with people from different disciplines and cultures.
- Computer literate (e.g Microsoft Office applications).
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new and specialized clinical laboratory technologies and techniques.
- Good working knowledge of a Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Demonstrated knowledge in international accreditation standards and their implementation (i.e. ISO 15189 and / or GCLP).
- Experience in implementing change management as it pertains to ensuring quality improvement around laboratory practices and safety.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Substantial previous experience working in capacity development in Africa and / or the developing world.
- lATA Shipping Training.
- Training in quality management systems and processes as they pertain to research and / or clinical laboratory environments.
- Good working knowledge of cold chain and chain of custody sample management.
- Good working knowledge of procurement sources and storage procedures for laboratory consumables and equipment.
Salary and Benefit
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 34 Points of MRCG at LSHTMS payscale at a net monthly salary of 76, 475 Dalasis. This converts to a take home pay of $1, 530 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary wlll be paid in Dalasi and the USD figure is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
- We cannot accept applications from Individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- The appointment will be for 3 years initially and subJect to a probationanry period of 6 months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the "Application Form". Completed application form and other documents should be e-mailed to: email@example.com with "Job title" as email subject.
Click Here for More Information (.docx)
- MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government
Application Deadline Friday, 26th March, 2021.