Communication Officer at the West African Health Organization
The West African Health Organization (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) charged with leadership and coordination of health improvement programs across the ECOWAS region.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Officer
Job Code: 0097
Location: Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Employment Type: Full Time
Directorate: Directorate General
Line Supervisor: Director General
- Under the supervision of the Director General, the incumbent shall be responsible for the development and implementation of Strategic Advocacy and Communications focusing on Public Relations work for the West African Health Organisation (WAHO).
- The incumbent shall also work to promote WAHO’s visibility using traditional media and social media forums.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide technical input in the design and development of WAHO’s Communication Strategy.
- Use traditional and social media forums to disseminate information and the outcomes of the executed programmes indicating their correlation with the defined indicators in WAHO’s Strategic Plan.
- Develop strategic alliances for influencing country and regional policies and plans.
- Undertake all other activities that would maintain and reinforce the visibility of WAHO at the region, the continent and at the global levels.
- Provide support in developing an organizational intranet.
- Coordinate the implementation of WAHO’s Communication Strategy.
- Undertake advocacy, communication and dissemination of WAHO’s programmes.
- Work closely with programme staff to collect and collate information on programme implementation.
- Collaborate closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Professional Officer and facilitate the dissemination of programme results.
- Coordinate information sharing and learning, including identification and dissemination of best practices within the region.
- Ensure the documentation and dissemination of regional health information such as the health profile, health updates and situational reports.
- Document advocacy results and monitor policy implantation.
- Disseminate draft resolutions and recommendations of the Assembly of Health Ministers and other statutory meetings/conferences.
- Submit monthly reports that indicate progress and bottlenecks associated with communication and advocacy
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or Public Relations or Mass Communication or related field from a recognised University.
- Five (5) years’ experience in journalism, strategic communication, advertising or marketing and public or international relations ;
- Proven knowledge of communication and the ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships.
- Proven knowledge of internal communication guidelines and strategy and of production of innovative platform to enhance internal communication across the ECOWAS region.
- Knowledge in developing communication strategies and plan, internal and external communications;
- Ability to coordinate and manage complex communication campaigns and events;
- Ability to conceptualize and contribute to the design of communication campaigns that target larger audiences.
USD37,431.66 - USD52,379.70 Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their completed Application Forms to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download the Application Form (Docx.)
Click here for more information (PDF)
Each application must include the following:
- A completed Job Application Form
- A Cover Letter of not more than one page on the motivation for the application to the post
- A signed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- A certified copy of Birth Certificate.
- Candidates must be ECOWAS citizens.
- Candidates must be under 50 years.
- Submitted documents shall not be returned.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Shortlisting and interview processes shall be based on the ECOWAS Staff Regulations.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
- Offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory background check.
Application Deadline 10th January, 2024.