Communications Assistant (Trainee Level) at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Assistant (Trainee Level) - Employees of Mission
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-115RA-T
Series/Grade: FP - 0601 6
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: FP-6
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM - FP is 06/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission - This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM - All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The incumbent provides graphic, photographic, and video support for internal Mission purposes under the supervision of the Management Officer.
- The incumbent is responsible for implementing large process improvements in internal communications. Will manage multiple projects of this type throughout the year, while providing graphic, photographic, and video support for internal Mission purposes.
- The incumbent will develop and manage a print studio and create Mission Nigeria’s graphic design output for internal communications.
- Taking into account USG policy and the commercial aspects of working for a publishing house, the incumbent strategically analyzes design needs and creates products that responds to those needs.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Photography, Art, or Information Technology is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as working as a photographer, graphic designer, art designer, or audio-visual specialist with a portfolio of work is required.
- Expert understanding of digital photography is required. Demonstrated knowledge of industry-standard design software, such as Quark, InDesign or Illustrator plus photo-editing software, including Photoshop is required.
- Good knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction is required.
- Good knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media is required.
- Good understanding of audio-visual technology is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in speaking/reading/writing of English is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Ability to use a wide range of photographic techniques is required.
- Must be able to carry/handle equipment unassisted at events.
- Must be able to act quickly and determine priorities during fast-moving events.
- Ability to take initiative in planning and executing assignments is required. Exceptional IT skills, especially with design and photo-editing software and audio-visual technology is required.
- Creativity and innovation skills with accuracy and attention to detail is required.
- Must have excellent time management and organizational skills with a professional approach to time, costs and deadlines.
- Must be a gifted communicator, able to explain design decisions and choices to audiences unfamiliar with the concepts being discussed.
- Must be able to use and troubleshoot basic print shop and IT equipment, such as DVC tools.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
USD $45,290 / month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the "APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor's Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria
Application Deadline 17th March, 2023.