Communications Coordinator at Search for Common Ground (SFCG)
Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Employment Type: Full-Time - Local
- The Communications Coordinator will work with SFCG's management and program teams to develop and implement an effective communication strategy.
- S/he will focus on strengthening internal and external communications, including writing and editing publications such as briefs ,reports, newsletters, website; documenting success stories and case studies; and working with media to promote Search Nigeria and tell our story, build strategic relationships and provide direction for positive narratives.
Roles and Responsibilities
Communications - Social Media/Network engagement/Content production:
- Manage and produce written and visual/multimedia content and publications, including newsletters, bulletin, success stories, case studies for email, website, and social media networks to raise the visibility of Search Nigeria and ensure that our messaging is unified
- Participate in key social media and Search-wide communications team meetings.
- Plan and manage projects that use photography, video, and/or other multimedia storytelling to support Search Nigeria’s work. Potential projects could include producing short web videos or infographics on timely issues, supervising design consultant work, and designing flyers.
- Capture photos and short video during project activities on the field and maintain library media ,
- Increase SFCG Nigeria’s online presence by growing its audience and increasing engagement through social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube.)
- Explore other innovative channels to promote Search brands and projects and timely share of information to partners, donors and other key stakeholders.
- Develop and incorporate new communications tools and creative dissemination strategies to strengthen Search Nigeria’s programming.
- Build the capacity of program teams and other staff in Search Nigeria HQ and field offices on communications policies, procedures and best practices; Search Nigeria brand, messages and values
- Communicate with target groups, communities, partners and stakeholders to understand and address the program’s end-user information and communications needs;
- Provide communications support during outreach events e.g. producing materials, livestream on social media or coordinating a press conference for project activities in target states
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in peacebuilding to leverage opportunities for Search’s communications.
Communications - Media Relations:
- Develop and maintain relations with national and international media and coordinate with SFCG HQ in order to ensure maximum coverage of SFCG events and projects in Nigeria;
- Prepare presentations and speeches for public events and manage stakeholders’ database and invitations;
- Draft press releases and maintain accurate media databases.
- Track news coverage of Search Nigeria and its key issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications , Journalism ,International Relations, Development Studies, Marketing or related field; Master’s Degree is a plus.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in outreach, communications for development, advocacy, social marketing,, media and public relations, and campaigning preferably with an I/NGO;
- Experience in commissioning, procuring, contracting, developing and producing marketing/campaign/advertising materials and products; good working knowledge of media buying will be an asset;
- Understanding of and experience in harnessing traditional and social media for awareness-raising and advocacy, social media savvy;
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Strong command of English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent copywriting skills for social media and other digital platforms
- Demonstrated ability Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,)
- Excellent knowledge of design programs such as InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; knowledge of G Suite and Mailchimp.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to collaborate with multiple offices within an organization and interact with partners, contractors and other stakeholders at senior level.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and communicate highly
- technical information to both expert and lay audiences, and achieve consensus on communications policy, project, research, and administrative matters.
- Proactive, creative, entrepreneurial and collaborative; ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- Excellent analytic skills and ability to produce high quality written materials for different audience;
- Creative writing, editing, photography, presentation, public speaking and active listening skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in digital and print graphic design, layout and publishing
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This position is only open to Nigerian nationals.
- The position will be based in Abuja and will include frequent field travels