Construction Officer at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Officer
Location: Michika, Adamawa
Contract type: National
Employment Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Area of Operations: Nigeria
Reporting to: Area Manager
Supervised by: Livelihood Coordinator
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- This position is requiring a strong previous experience in managing direct construction projects.
- The Construction Officer’s primary function is to ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow-up of all technical aspects of the construction and rehabilitation activities being implemented by DRC.
General Programming & Operations:
- Conducting technical feasibility assessments for rehabilitation and construction works in DRC operational areas prior to implementation.
- Work with the Livelihood Team Leader(s) in identification and selection of community assets for rehabilitation or construction on the DRC programme.
- Design Bill of Quantities (BoQs) and annotated diagrams for community structures to be rehabilitated or constructed
- Formulate and implement capacity building plans for teams and individuals that will be involved in implementation of construction activities.
- Monitor constructions and ensure timely completion of constructions within the project timeframe.
- Mobilise communities to provide sufficient labour for construction or rehabilitations in liaison with the Livelihood Team Leader(s).
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly, quarterly, annual reports for donors.
- Participate in providing technical information required for proposals and budgets.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established or rehabilitated community structures.
- Vetting and selection of community builders to facilitate construction activities.
- Train and guide community builders on construction tasks required during rehabilitations or new constructions.
- Design of work norms for skilled and unskilled workers during cash for work activities.
- Design of construction work schedules for cash for work rehabilitation or new construction activities.
- Mobilise and guide communities to source locally available resources for construction to complement the construction materials provided by DRC.
- Manage the utilisation of construction materials during constructions to ensure high quality structures are constructed.
Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on construction issues.
- Work with technical state government line ministries in design of works, BoQs, Annotated Diagrams and project monitoring. Technical government line ministries include Ministry of Housing, Ministry of Works, Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Ministry of Livestock Production, Ministry of Agriculture etc.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting.
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Assist in development of the projects’ M&E tools
- Ensure management of construction project grants through budget control.
- Monitor and Evaluate Construction Projects.
- Ensure quality structures constructed in accordance to State Government Standards.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
Logistics / Finance:
- Initiate timely procurement of construction materials and tools for use during Cash for Work activities
- Review and approve samples of construction materials and tools submitted by suppliers during the procurement process
- Ensure estimations of construction materials and tools are in line with available budget.
- The responsibilities listed in the Job Description are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Ensure construction materials and tools delivery plans are prepared and shared with supply chain team in a timely manner.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or other construction-related discipline from a recognized institution.
- HND in Construction or Architecture
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 2 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating construction projects.
- At least some experience in training community builders and guiding new constructions and/or rehabilitations
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Proficient in AutoCAD or suitable design software, annotated diagrams, and design of BoQs.
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage.
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Experience with managing and guiding builders for community construction projects.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
Key Stakeholders: (internal and external):
- Other Programme staff
- Support staff including Logistics, Procurement, Finance, Humanitarian Access and Safety etc.
- Relevant stakeholders
- Other NGOs
Salary & Benefits
- NM-H (Salary structure currently under review).
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Nigerian nationals only and qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
Application Deadline 12th October, 2021.