Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > International / Multinational > Context Analysis Consultant at Oxfam
Context Analysis Consultant at Oxfam
Mar 27, 2020, 3:08 PM
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Context Analysis Consultant Location: Nigeria
Introduction and justification for the analyses
- Qxfam in Nigeria is supposed to be completing its five-year strategy plan (2015-2019) in March, 2020 but the strategy plan has however been extended to end in Septembe, 2020.
- The Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS) 2015-2019 was developed only after all Oxfam countries exited the Joint Country Analysis and Strategy (JC.S) which was the strategy framework operating till 2015 before the consolidation Into the One Oxfam structure.
- The OCS 2015 - 2019 is anchored on four strategic goal areas: a) Saving Lives b) Sustainable Income for the Poor c) Transform Attitudes about Women’s Right and d) Increase Active Citizenship and Accountability of Public and Private Sectors.
- Oxfam Nigeria is in the process of developing a 5-year strategy plan called OCS 2020-2025 and this plan Is going to be operationalized through a Country Operational Model (COM) which will produce concrete plans on how the strategic goals of the OCS 2020-2025 will be achieved.
- Both the OCS 2020-2025 and the COM will only be developed based on the recommendations and inspirations that will emerge from this Context Analysis.
- The Oxfam global strategy plan (from which countries and regions within the Oxfam Confederation derive their strategy plans) defines three levels of timeframes called Horizons- a) long-term, 10-year horizon - the Global Strategic Framework, b) near-term, 3-year Horizon Plan (2020—2022) and c) mid-term, second 3-year Horizon Plan (for the period up to 2025). Oxfam Nigeria is adopting the mid-term approach based on the volatility of Nigeria operating context.
Objective(s) of the Context Analysis
- The primary outcome that Oxfam generally seeks to attain is to achieve sustainable development and equal distribution of common wealth in an ever evolving world.
- The primary aim of the context analysis is to provide an analysis of extreme poverty and injustice using Oxfam’s conceptual framework in order to identify effective program options to effectively and sustainably reduce extreme poverty and Injustice in Nigeria.
- Oxfam identifies risk and vulnerability, and inequality as the key causes and maintainers of extreme poverty
- This Context Analysis will therefore simulate the power relationships between and within the power blocks and the common stakeholders.
- The power analysis will show power and wealth distribution pattern across geographies, groups (ethnic, religious and traditional leaders, etc), private/public sector, gender, civil societies, etc. It will highlight what proportion of Nigerians are in control of the Nigeria wealth.
- It will show power equation between the large corporates and the rural communities where these large corporates operates.
- The selected consultant / firm will be required to employ a multi-disciplinary theme (with livelihoods, food security/agriculture, environmental health, nutrition, education, gender/equality, humanitarian, governance etc. experience and expertise) to facilitate an in-depth analysis of the context.
- Postgraduate degree (higher qualification like PhD will be given preference) in Development Studies, Poverty Reduction, Rural Development and/or related social science discipline.;
- Experience in the use of participatory and gender-sensitive assessment/ research methodologies;
- Strong technical knowledge of risks & vulnerability and disaster reduction and management strategies;
- Familiarity with socio-economic trends in Nigeria and a working knowledge of the local language will be an asset;
- Experience working in Nigeria;
- Knowledge of Oxfam and its work will be an advantage
- Willingness and ability to travel to different sites in Nigeria
- At least 10 years’ experience of conducting contextual analysis, research and programme development;
- A solid and diversified experience within the livelihoods, food security/agriculture, environmental health, nutrition, education, gender/equality, humanitarian, governance sectors;
- Excellent analytical, facilitation and report writing skills;
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts