Counter Wildlife Trafficking (CWT) Advisor at Wildlife Conservation Society
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit organization founded in 1895. Its mission is to preserve wildlife and wilderness by understanding critical problems, developing scientific solutions and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, a presence in more than 60 countries, and experience in the creation of more than 150 protected areas around the world, WCS has accumulated the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships needed to ensure that wild places and animal species thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct use of natural resources.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Counter Wildlife Trafficking (CWT) Advisor
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: WCS Nigeria Country Director
Country Program / Sector: Nigeria/Wildlife Crime
Internal liaison: WCS Nigeria staff, Counter Wildlife Trafficking Coordinator, Africa
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Expected Travel: Some national travel in Nigeria
Duration: 2 Years (Renewable)
- The Counter Wildlife Trafficking Advisor will provide support to relevant field programs in Cross River State and Calabar, conducting collection, assessment, evaluation and analysis of information to develop an in-depth understanding of wildlife trafficking of our priority species and illegal logging to guide interventions by state partners, law enforcement and counterparts.
- Following training, identify and manage potential sources of information regarding illegal logging and wildlife trafficking in the region;
- Following training, implement and manage a system of information management;
- Following training, regularly update the WCS Case Management System with actions and interventions, including – but not limited to – any impending prosecutions or court casesd explicitly linked with WCS CWT activity;
- Provide inputs to assist fund-raising efforts for WCS’s programs on wildlife trafficking, identifying and enhancing support from existing and new sources, assisting in development of proposals and reports, building relationships with funders;
- Maintain and apply understanding of wildlife trafficking features and context, patterns and trends for WCS priority species and strongholds in the region;
- Coordinate and consolidate information gathering and analysis across WCS Nigeria programs on priority species commodity flows and/or themes.
- Following training, and in close collaboration with regional CWT staff, to support and advise country program offices on staffing, systems, and protocols to ensure our information and intelligence work is conducted to a high quality, ethically, transparently and safely;
- Produce regular information and intelligence reports about wildlife trafficking to support the WCS interventions, government counterparts, inter-governmental bodies, and the private sector;
- Identify, develop and manage new partnerships with relevant law enforcment agencies and NGO partners to strengthen and support our research and intelligence priorities on CWT in the region;
Required Skills and Experience
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 3 years work experience.
- Experience and/or interest in research, analysis, and/or targeting of crime, and/or wildlife crime, policing, intelligence or criminology.
- An assertive attitude, combined with strong diplomatic skills are obligatory – applicants must be at ease liaising with a wide variety of law enforcement and governmental personnel with whom they will be expected to develop strong, trusted working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively within cross-cultural teams of varied capacity, both orally and in writing, in working out solutions to problems or questions related to the work, writing clear and concise intelligence products, and delivering written and verbal presentations;
- Familiarity with usual software systems, and familiarity with mobile communcations, internet communications and messaging applications of all types is essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of criminal judicial processes in Nigeria.
- A very clear ability to communicate with a wide variety of individuals, to show empathy, and to be able to make rapid assessments of various character traits and emotions to enable accurate reporting and effective management of sources of information.
- The capacity to acquire and use new, complex skills in a short space of time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Application / Cover Letter and CV together with the Names and Contact Information of Three References to: [email protected] using "Nigeria CWT Advisor" as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 1st October, 2022.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- The position is available for Nigerian nationals only.
- The applicant shall provide his/her expected salary in the application