Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Deputy Finance Coordinator at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Deputy Finance Coordinator at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Jul 8, 2020, 10:27 PM
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Finance Coordinator Location: MSF OCA, Coordination, ABUJA Job Type: Indefinite Period
Main Objective and Responsibilities of the position
- Supporting the Finance Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities, replacing him/her in his/her absence and participating in the implementation and management of finance strategies, policies, the internal control system and all financial administrative and legal issues in the mission, according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, in order to provide accurate, transparent, timely and reliable financial information to the organization and third parties on the allocation of resources in the projects
- Participating actively in the definition and monitoring of the financial operational and budget needs and the financial strategy of the mission, providing support in the assessment and mitigation of the financial risks of the mission and in the implementation of the relevant organizational setup in order to meet all financial obligations while keeping financial ethics respected at all times
- Supporting the Finance Coordinator in the implementation and respect of MSF policies and guidelines, ensuring they are aligned with legal requirements and within the national legal framework, and designing or adapting relevant local policies, procedures and tools for optimized management of the mission's financial resources
- Supporting the Finance Manager in the management of the treasury, including the whole accounting of the mission in order to ensure the smooth running of operations at all times and maintaining as much control as possible on financial risks
- Participating in the management of funding agreements with donors and in providing regular and adequate indicators to monitor the financial health of the mission, providing relevant cost analysis, regularly monitoring of expenses vs budget, analyzing variances and suggesting corrective actions when needed. Assisting in the collection of information on resources and translating them into a budget
- Supporting the Finance Coordinator in ensuring the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff's development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the finance activities
- Responsible to train & coach all finance staff in the mission in all aspects related to accounting, finance and budgeting, as well as make key executive staff such as coordinators, budget holders & and relevant managers aware of financial risks and the scope of their financial responsibilities.
- Responsible to assess and mitigate the financial risks of the mission, ensure that reliable internal control systems are in place, and financial ethics is respected within the mission.
- Responsible for the correct payment of salaries for staff, ensure correct control levels and to ensure policies and procedures are correctly implemented in projects.
- Participating in the coordination and supervision of the monthly and yearly closing of accounts with the aim that the statement reflects the financial reality of the mission
- Performing tasks delegated by the Finance Coordinator and replacing him/her in his/her absence
- When requested replacing other members of the capital or project finance teams during their absence.
- Responsible to ensure compliance with MSF policies and guidelines, adapt to local (legal) context; design relevant local policies, procedures and tools for optimized management of the mission's financial resources. Is responsible to provide insight on the fin/admin health of the mission (for example by performing a yearly check).
- Responsible to coordinate and ensure the operation of the treasury for the smooth running of operations at all times and to maintain as much control as possible about the security risks, in particular:
- Define minimum levels of cash.
- Anticipate the planned expenditure (money requests, etc.).
- Manage local bank accounts and transfer of funds between HQ and the mission, and from the capital to the projects (internal transfers)
- Manage contacts with banks and/or other financial institutions at Mission level.
- Monitor the payment of suppliers and staff salaries.
- Responsible to coordinate and oversee the monthly and annual closing of the mission accounts, making sure that the accounts correctly reflect the financial reality of the mission.
- Responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staffТs development and internal communication) with regard to the fin/admin staff she/he is accountable for.
- Ensures all Mission's staff is briefed on the proper use of MSF resources
- Responsible to ensure proper management of balance accounts and oversee monthly preparation of a correct and complete mission Balance specification.
- Responsible to oversee bookkeeping in capital, monthly closure of capital bookkeeping, payments to suppliers, expat per diem and financial administration.
- Keep track, inform and update international staff about their sub-accounts and per diem
- Is Responsible signing of expenses from all departments in capital as per limit of the authorization table. Check the expenses are accurate and reasonable and it in line as per financial procedure.
- Responsible for management of Coordination Finance & Accountancy Managers and Finance Coordinator Assistant monitor their daily and weekly work plan reflect financial deadline date.
- Visit the projects and field locations minimum twice in a year, provide and guide technical support relates to financial policy and procedures to the require staffs
- Essential degree or higher vocational training in Economics / Finance/ Business Administration.
- NYSC discharge or exemption certificate
- Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant and similar jobs (including budget management and team management)
- At least one year in a finance function in MSF mission will be an added advantage
- Mission language and local language essential
- Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point and Internet).
- Strategic Vision
- Planning & Organising
- Teamwork & Cooperation
- People Management & Development
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary Credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope "Application for the post of Deputy Finance Coordinator -ABUJA" to the address below: Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), The Human Resource Coordinator, No. 11, First Avenue, Gwarinpa, Abuja Or Send to any of MSF OCA Project offices in Benue, Sokoto and Zamfara States. Or Send through to: email@example.com for digital applications Note: MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organizationApplication Deadline 20th July, 2020.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts