Deputy MEAL Manager (Internal / External) at Premiere Urgence Internationale
Apr 20, 2021, 6:15 PM
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy MEAL Manager (Internal / External)
Location: Monguno, Borno
Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
- Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Deputy MEAL Manager will support and assist the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager in the design, implementation and supervision of PUI's MEAL activities in the field and work closely with the different program teams, in the collection and documentation of MEAL information emanating from program implementation.
- The Deputy MEAL Manager will also support the MEAL Manager in the training of program and MEAL teams on the use of MEAL tools and quantitative and qualitative methodologies and in the implementation of the monitoring processes and protocols including support in program assessments, surveys and evaluations.
- He/she will assist the MEAL Manager in compiling information to build on PUI’s institutional knowledge and produce capitalization reports for PUI.
Responsibilities and Task
- Implementation and supervision of M&E activities
- Support the MEAL Manager in Designing and managing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning systems through providing high-quality technical support to Program and MEAL teams
- Conduct regular MEAL field visits to assess data collection and quality control activities including the application of MEAL tools and assist in the preparation of monthly/quarterly reports to donors and PUI headquarters
- Support the MEAL Manager in identifying bottlenecks in the MEAL systems and recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through
- Support the MEAL manager in close coordination with program teams to ensure the follow-up of programs indicators
- Actively participate in the development of project logical frameworks to ensure objectives are clearly constructed and indicators are SMART and respond to activities (process), results (outputs) and specific objectives (outcome)
- Support the MEAL manager in maintaining and updating the Global M&E Plan for on-going programs and new programs, including timeframe of activities, data collection methodology, tools to be used and expected delivery
- Support the MEAL Manager in designing and regularly updating project M&E guidelines and tools and in Building the capacity of program teams to use the tools including survey design, sampling, data analysis, and reporting
- Support the MEAL Manager in designing and carrying out MEAL surveys including PDMs, evaluations, baselines and other assessments related to PUI projects
- Verify data quality issues prior to sharing with MEAL Manager
- Manage the KOBO platform for the mission and assisting in the roll-out of mobile data collection within the mission to include training, troubleshooting and support for the use of KOBO in the field
Learning and Institutional Building:
- Support the MEAL Manager in identifying, documenting and sharing with donors, partners and beneficiaries lessons learned and best practices, including success stories that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practices
- Support the MEAL Manager in ensuring that lessons learned and recommendations in all technical sectors are addressed in the design of new projects and discussed during project planning meetings and during periodic program reviews and ultimately fed into current work and future proposal development
- Capitalize on lessons learnt combined with field experience to provide contributions and feedback during the design phases of field tools, evaluations, surveys and assessments
- Participate actively in team workshops and lessons learnt seminars
Internal and External Reporting:
- Regularly update the MEAL Manager and program managers on achievements and challenges encountered by his/her teams
- Ensure that all data collected goes through a data cleaning and validation processes
- Consolidate reports that synthesize and synchronize initial key finding (needs) and results (outputs/outcomes)
Communication and Follow-up:
- When requested by his/her line manager, respond to beneficiaries’ queries with good knowledge of relevant information when approached
- Respond to any requests within PUI that might require an alternative communication method or plan of action
- Represent PUI on the field and with beneficiaries by providing information on services provided by PUI or otherwise, referring cases/needs to appropriate partners and sectors.
- Represent PUI and the MEAL department in internal and external meetings, trainings, workshops, working groups, and donor visits.
- Ensure constant communication with PUI program teams to have an in-depth understanding of PUI programs activities
- Attend internal / external meetings to receive or present updates on behalf of or on request by the MEAL Manager
Logistics and Administration:
- Perform administrative support activities for the MEAL Manager including, but not limited to, preparation of meetings, recording of minutes, verbal and written translation
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools related to MEAL activities
- Manage the supply of materials to the field sites in collaboration with logistics department
- Participate in the recruitment process of the staffs under his/her direct supervision.
- Support the staff under his/her direct management in the fulfilment of their duties
- Report to his / her line manager problems and/or concerns on technical issues
- Provide training to the MEAL team on the MEAL components in order to build their capacities
- Solve team conflicts, if any occurs among the team
- Ensure team building among his/her team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staffs under his/her supervision
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs. The employee could be requested to perform other tasks as his / her line manager may judge necessary.
Priorities of the Department
- Ensure a robust MEAL system is in place so that the implementation of the projects is of a high quality and accountable to beneficiaries, partners and donors
- Ensure a robust and efficient accountability mechanism is in place
- Ensure high quality data analysis from multiple sources and the production of high quality information products
- Ensure The implementation of MEAL activities for the achievement of results enshrined in the global MEAL plan in collaboration with the beneficiaries, partners and project teams
- Provision of high quality and accurate qualitative and quantitative data according to external and internal deadlines
- Support the MEAL Department to achieve its strategic goals through the occasional undertaking of additional activities that contribute to the overall ability of PUI to achieve its stated outputs
- Fluent in Hausa and English and Kanuri appreciated.
- At least a Bachelor / master’s degree in social sciences, statistics, mathematics, demography, sociology, research or a numeracy discipline
- At least three years’ experience in similar field with NGOs.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good analytical and writing skills,demonstrate willingness to improve own knowledge and skills by actively participating in any training sessions and capacity building activities
- Knowledge of the MS office software (including Word, Excel, Outlook) and a good understanding of data analysis packages such as SPSS, Power BI, etc.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the use of ODK, KOBO, and CommCare platform and mobile data collection
- Strong training / capacity-building skills
- Interest in working in the humanitarian sector
- Result oriented
- Well organized and attentive to details
- Ability to work within a team
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard working
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Team management
How to Apply
Interested and qualiied candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th April, 2021.
Note: This position is open to Nigerian nationals only, and only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted.