Director of Institute (PAULESI) at African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Institute (PAULESI)
Requisition ID: 1570
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Reports to: Rector
Directorate/Department: Education, Science, Technology & Innovation (ESTI)
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Job Grade: P5
Purpose of Job
The incumbent is responsible for:
- The effective management of the institute’s human and financial resources, properties, equipment and facilities
- Ensuring the effective and timely implementation PAU Council and Rectorate decisions at the level of the Institute
- Coordinate the PAULESI activities and ensure timely delivery of set goals
- Manage the work of the Office and supervise direct/indirect reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Contribute in the design of strategies and policies consistent with the PAULESI’s goals, in order to address identified issues;
- Contribute to the development of the PAULESI business continuity plan and ensure its implementation;
- Ensure risk management and recommend mitigation strategies;
- Develop new and expand on existing activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Engage stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represent the organisation and explain its position at conferences.
- Mobilise resources from donors to implement strategies and activities;
- Contribute to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Play leadership role in liaising between the host university, host country and the PAU Rectorate and ensure effective co-ordination between the Coordinators of all Programme Departments and Centres under the Institute;
- Preside over the Annual General Meeting of the Coordinators of Programme Departments and Centres of the Institute to draw up the report of the Institute, including an activity report covering the work of the Institute for consideration and decision by the PAU Senate
- Regularly prepare and submit activity reports on the work of the Institute to the Rectorate.
- Report annually to the Rector on the individual academic accomplishments of academic and research staff employed at the Institute and its Centres.
- Implementation and periodic monitoring of the PAU multi-annual strategic development plan at the level of the Institute, its Programme Departments and Centres;
- Supervise the planning and development of academic programs, policies, procedures and guidelines
- Plan the evaluation and review of academic programs and curriculum
- Liaise with national, regional, continental and international accreditation and quality assurance agencies
- Coordinate the evaluation processes for faculty hiring, promotion, and tenure, and make recommendations
- Participate as an ex-officio member of PAU council
- Oversee the preparations of the budget and financial reports of the institute
- Ensure the commitment and release of funds for which provision has been made in the budget approved by the PAU Council and serve as the authorizing officer for the Institute;
- With the approval of the PAU Rector, sign agreements pertaining to voluntary donations or contributions from governments, national or international organizations, or any other private or public donor organization for the benefit of the Institute;
- Keep accurate records on the academic progress of each student and make recommendations to the relevant PAU organs for appropriate actions where necessary;
- Overall oversight and leadership in the activities of the examiners including appointment of Boards of Examiners or juries for postgraduate theses, projects or other related academic or research work;
- Perform other related tasks and related responsibilities as may be assigned by the PAU Rector or as may be necessary for the efficient functioning of the Institute.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- PhD holder and a full Professor in the field of Science, Technology or Engineering or Social Sciences and Humanities of a recognized university, with twelve (12) years of relevant post-graduate progressive academic experience of which seven (7) years at a senior academic leadership position, in a recognized university;
- Having held the administrative positions of Chair of Department, Dean of faculty, or Director of academic programs or their equivalent will be an added advantage.
- The candidate must have a prominent academic profile with evidence of high quality research work in the course of his/her career.
- Experience in fund-raising for international projects is desirable
- Highly conversant in the cultures and changing landscapes of higher education internationally
- Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring;
- Ability to negotiate effectively.
- Ability to keep abreast of available technology and understand its applicability to the work of the Organization
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery.
- Good computer literacy
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
- Strong background of research and publications, a prominent profile in the relevant academic community and a proven record of effective leadership and management experience at a senior level in an academic/research institution
- Ability to communicate orally with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to express ideas and formulate plans by means of clear and effective writing and oral presentations.
- Ability to draft conceptual and detailed reports/papers and review/edit the work of others.
- Ability to prepare rationale with respect to key financial and administrative decisions.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 2nd January, 2023.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply