Environmental Health Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Dec 4, 2020, 6:52 PM
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring all Environmental Health (EH) activities in the project, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- In collaboration with EHTL and the PMR, planning, elaborating and reviewing the annual budget for the EH activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
- In collaboration with the EHTL, PMR, and the HR Manager, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all EH activities.
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of EH data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability. Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by the PMR and EHTL).
- Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the EH activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the PMR and EHTL on the development of the ongoing programmes including the following:
- Designing, implementing and managing all EH interventions in the project (including, but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control).
- Conducting routine EH assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify EH needs at project level and making recommendations for response activities to the PMR.
- Ensuring the EH contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the EH stock.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Participate in data collection and data entry related to operational research activities in the project
- Ensuring a permanent and adequate water supply in Observations Bays (OBs) and Virology Unit (VU).
- Providing technical guidance to EH technicians in order to ensure a proper maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities in OBs and VU.
- Providing trainings to Federal Teaching Hospital (FETHA) and State Health Ministry staff on EH protocols, precisely waste Management, dead bodies management, dressing and undressing when needed.
- Provide technical guidance to put in place the vector control measures in the Project.
- Provide leadership for planning and implementation of Lassa Fever peak season EH-related activities.
- Providing support and overseeing mortuary team and technicians for dead bodies management in OBS and VU.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- M.Sc/B. Eng/B.Sc. In Geology, Civil and Water Resources Engineering, Public Health, Health Engineering, Hydraulics, Environmental Health, and other WASH-related courses. with a minimum of three years experience practicing WASH in humanitarian context.
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 2-years of hands-on field emergency WHS professional experience Practicing wash in humanitarian or international development setting.
- Mandatory: Previous experience in haemorrhagic fever context (Lassa Fever, Ebola, Marburg).
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and wastewater management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (disease outbreak, conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- English Language essential. Igbo Language desirable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates and NYSC certificate/Exemption Letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send Hard Copy to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Plot D33 Liberation Estate (After the Enugu/Abakaliki Express),
Abakaliki, Ebonyi State.
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen below:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC status
Note: Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application
Application Deadline 12th December, 2020.