Finance Officer at GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON)
GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON) is a policy-driven humanitarian, non-governmental organization that implements her program through a revitalized partnership. It is a non-profit organization with a mandate of making the lives of vulnerable people better, those affected by disaster or crisis. GPON is presently operating in the Northeastern regional part of Nigeria where we have reached over 100,000 lives with relief materials, child protection services. GBV mitigation services, livelihood skill-building, health services, and Education support services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reference Number: N21 / NIG_ERF / RA1 / P / NGO / 18489
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
EmploymentType: Full Time
- Provide support under the responsibility of the Operations Manager in ensuring that all accounting procedures for documentation of transactions of Funds Receipt and Disbursement are observed and financial processes and reports are in line with policies of GOALPrime Organization Nigeria.
- To contribute to the provision of regular and detailed financial analysis report to inform management decisions.
Dimensions of the Role
- Implementation of financial management processes, protocols, and systems.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Accounting software operations and reporting:
- Prepare payment, journal and receipt vouchers using the corporate accounting software - QuickBook.
- Ensure that transactions are complete and accurate with self-explanatory and understandable descriptions.
- Maintain good filing for all vouchers in a limited access area to ensure easy retrieval.
- Following up with offices and staff as regards the dashboard financial deadline requirements
- Print the monthly QuickBooks reports for signing and appropriate filing.
- Ensure that the QuickBooks balances of the advances account agree with the sub-ledger balances.
- Contribute to the monthly financial report.
- Support program staff in making payments to participants during activities implementation.
- Support in ensuring all documents are scanned and properly stored on Cloud
- Maintain a record of vouchers borrowed by staff and ensure that they are returned and filed appropriately.
- Support with the clearing of all open items.
- Support the monthly QuickBooks closure processes.
Internal Financial Controls & Payments:
- Ensure that the documentation for payment is acceptable and accurate with all arithmetic calculations being correct.
- Issue cheques as per weekly payment list; exception should be approved by CFM.
- Maintain cash books, including providing updates to Finance Operations Manager to prevent negative cash and bank balance.
- Release cheques to the right payee and ensure the appropriate receipts are issued and filed.
- Approved payment requests should be processed within three days of receipt.
- Prepare the Withholding tax and VAT schedule where relevant before payment is done.
- Cancel (stamped PAID) all vouchers (payment, journal and receipt) and their supporting documents to forestall re-use.
- Ensure all cheques are prepared in a way that ensures accuracy and validation for payments
- Perform any other duties as specified by your supervisor(s).
- Prepare and maintain the sub-ledger for all advances (travel, purchase, etc.).
- Ensure timely liquidation of staff advances should not exceed seven days after travel arrival
- Should ensure that more than one advance is given to staff at a time.
- Make available Bi-weekly to the Operations Manager a list of all un-liquidated advances and support with the follow-up of these advances.
Assist in the Administration of Staff Payroll:
- Prepare the withholding tax deductions report and completing and submitting monthly Statutory PAYE forms to relevant Government Organizations.
- Reconciles payment of NHF with Federal mortgage bank of Nigeria and a monthly update on all staff NHF Cards.
- Assist in the posting of all prepaid staff benefits on Quickbook.
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Accounting or relevant professional qualifications equivalent.
- A B.Sc or HND in Financial Accounting and related Financial / Business Administration courses.
- At least 2 years of practical work experience in managing financial and administrative systems for donor funded projects.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- A minimum of 2-year experience in grant financial management with donor-funded projects in Nigeria.
- Strong communication skills: oral and written.
- Ability to carry strenuous office duties of lifting heavy items.
- Familiar with international donors.
- Experience in use of QuickBooks (Added advantage)
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice:
- Basic financial skills
- Possession Basic financial skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Possession of good report writing skills
- Passion for learning and development.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All applicants must upload a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- GPON is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, or disabilities.
- GPON is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 22nd October, 2021.