Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > International / Multinational > Finance Officer at Mercy Corps
Finance Officer at Mercy Corps
Apr 21, 2020, 2:01 PM
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer Location: Gwoza, Borno Position Status: Full-time or Part-time
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Officer will assist the Gwoza office to ensure the accuracy and completeness of accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle and the routine daily accounting tasks and payment.
- The Finance Officer will assist in review and analyze records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Assist in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and project.
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Ensure the petty cash count performed on time (weekly and monthly).
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Assist in the training of support staff on Finance related matters and give any financial operational support needed.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Deploy to the other field when needs gaps are arise.
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries.
- Assist the Finance department to enhance the efficient of existing control systems.
- Ensure the on-time submission of the monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting packages to Maiduguri, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledgers, and all supporting documentation.
- Ensure all staff advances are tracked and cleared on time.
- Manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- Assist in the training and support of the finance assistant, including answering daily questions,
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Finance Assistant
- Reports Directly To: Senior Finance Officer - Maiduguri
- Works Directly With: Maiduguri Finance team, program and operational teams in Northeast Nigeria.
- Two or more years of finance experience is required.
- A university degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent is required.
- Prior experience with NGO/PVO is preferred.
- Previous experience in insecure environments is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Demonstrated experience in accounting.
- Understanding of basic international donor’s rules and regulations.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of Hausa.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to other locations such as Damboa, Dikwa, Ngala, Gwoza and other LGAs of Northeast programs based on the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours).
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- The position is based in Gwoza, Borno State.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com NoteApplication Deadline 3rd May, 2020.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number on the envelope or in the subject line if sending via email.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the Position Title on the envelope and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts