Finance Officer at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Ref Id: 20000598
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- This position will be responsible for implementing and/or coordinating financial and compliance support functions for the state office.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: State Project Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure that the State Office has the required cash levels to meet payments requirements at all times
- Diligently checks invoices to be paid and supporting documentation to be aligned with internal policies and procedures, best financial management and accounting practices, donor rulesand regulations, and budgets
- Perform the daily book-keeping, ensuring that the accounting is done in a timely and accurate manner, according to the organisation’s procedures and principles
- Perform the monthly accounting closure transactions and controls, and prepare the related reports including Bank Reconciliation, balance sheet reconciliation and other necessary activities as clearly stated in the Country office Finance Procedural manual of Save the Children International
- Support the statutory audit throughout the process
- Ensure all statutory deductions are remitted to the relevant authority promptly
- Actively participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project and field office expenses;
- Support the Field Manager in budget management related activities
- Maintains both electronic and physical filing systems ensuring that all documents are easily accessible for audit
- Assists team members, consultants and partners with finance related questions
- Develops and delivers trainings to ensure new and existing staffs are properly informed of the financial processes of Save the Children International
- Be an active member of the procurement committee of the Field Office
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Bolds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- A minimum of four years of relevant experience, at the national level, in Finance department of an International NGO
- A first Degree in Finance or Accounting
Experience and Skills
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Level of IT Expertise: Excellent (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Can work well in a team setting and can work collaboratively in finding solutions that will benefit the collective
- With strong personal and work ethics
- Excellent understanding of grants management and financial systems and procedure.
- Experience in a digital environment and knowledge in the use of accounting packages (i.e. Agresso)
- Ability to adjust and work on tight deadlines
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handle last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Good knowledge of SCI Financial Procedure
- Professional certificate in accounting and finance
- Ability to be creative and proactive
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary
Application Deadline 10th September, 2020.