Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) Assistant at Save the Slum Initiative
Save the Slum Initiative is a non-governmental organization with registration CAC/IT/NO 139240, STSI was founded in 2016 and is committed to responding to current needs to improve the life of people living in slums and local communities across Nigeria. STSI envisions improving the living standards of vulnerable persons and communities and our overall aim is to work with urban poor to bring about long-term and sustainable transformation to their quality of life and to also provide better community-based healthcare and empowerment education and environmental improvement to all communities that will serve. We intervene in various sectors like WASH, Education, Protection, Nutrition, Health, and Livelihood of humanitarian sectors and community development projects. Since its inception in 2016, STSI have implemented in over 10 States in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Volunteer
Duration: 6 months (extendable)
- We are currently looking to fill the role of Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) Assistant whowillwork under the direct guidance and supervision of the FSL Officer to support the implementation of FSL activities in the target area of project implementation.
- The role shall involve direct contact with the project’s beneficiaries, vendors, local and community leaders, and other key stakeholders that are relevant and critical in the implementation of the Project
- Work with Target committee and Livelihood coordinator to ensure the identification and selection of beneficiaries for livelihood activities.
- Develop aquiculture and Livestock skill acquisition programs and manual for beneficiaries.
- Ensure quality training sessions with beneficiaries.
- Together with LFS Officers, the Assistants will be responsible for the implementation of livelihoods and food security activities on the field. -Agriculture, Income Generation Activities, (IGAs), Cash for work (CfW) activities and livestock production and management.
- Support and carry out the registration of project beneficiaries with supervision from the officer
- Conduct livelihoods assessments to determine most viable income generating activities.
- Support stakeholder and partners in training on project beneficiaries.
- Participate in monthly review meetings with stakeholders.
- Attend Food Security Sector and Livestock Working Group meetings.
- Work closely with community structures to ensure local approach system during implementation/programming.
- Work with the Livelihood officers in keeping track of beneficiary’s attendance and work activities.
- Coordinate the distribution of startup kits of beneficiaries.
- Coordinate the monthly collation of attendance and work list of beneficiaries
- Timely report any irregularities to the Livelihood Coordinator.
- Prepare and submit weekly activity reports to the Livelihood coordinator.
- Treat beneficiaries with dignity and apply STSI’s Code of Ethics and Conduct.
- At least a Degree / HND in Aquiculture, Fisheries, Livestock, Animal Husbandry, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences or related field
Desired Competencies / Skills:
- 2 years relevant work experience
- Professional, good organizational capacity, good human relationships, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Experience and understanding of Selection, Planning and Management (SPM) of Income Generating Activities (IGAs) both farm and off farm.
- Experience in beneficiary skills trainings and distribution of conditional business grants or small business startup kits.
- Ability to write reports
- Able to work outside of regular working hours as required, including evenings and weekends if required.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Good team spirit
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and English
- Experience in agricultural livelihoods (crop and livestock production), value chain addition and Cash for Work
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge of the context in Borno state.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Experience in fishing, livestock and Local chicken production.
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Previous experience with Aquiculture and Livestock programming
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Previous experience with INGO/NGO
- Previous humanitarian programming experience.
- Directly to the Livelihood Coordinator.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline Friday; 14th October, 2022.
- All applications must include the Position title, Location in the subject line.
- Applicants are advised to provide their functional emails / mobile phone numbers on the application letter as well as three professional referees including their functional e-mail addresses and telephone numbers.
- STSI has a Child Safeguarding policy in place and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
- By submitting your Application for this position you agreed to STSI ZERO Tolerance to:
- Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, Abuse and Child Abuse
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Save The Slum Initiative (STSI) provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- Candidates available to start immediately are highly preferred.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview