Head of Support Services at Danish Refugee Council
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Support Services
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Start Date: 1st September, 2020
About the Job
Main duties and Responsibilities
- The Head of Support Services is Operationally and strategically responsible for overall direction and management of all support services in DRC Nigeria
- The Head of Support Services will ensure the consolidation of effective and efficient support services in the areas of finance, administration, IT, human resources, procurement and logistics
- He/She will play a key role in developing and implementing country specific strategies as well as devising, implementing and improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission in Nigeria, in line with DRC international and regional operational standards and procedures
- He / she will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, Sector Managers and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
- Ensure DRC and donor financial regulations, procedures and documentation requirements are adhered to in DRC country operation.
- Provide overall financial planning support to Head of Nigeria Programme, advise on spending and financial spending strategies, provide accurate financial outlook of the programmes on a regular basis.
- Monitoring and regulating the movement of cash, liquidity management, the bank transactions and transfers, and the other personnel involved, beyond the set of internal controls.
- Ensure that all necessary agreements, permits and licenses necessary for DRC‘s operations (including VAT exemption) are in place and keep updated on national Administrative rules and regulations pertaining to the activities of DRC.
- Ensure implementation of Dynamics 365 financial management system at country level.
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities.
- Ensure inputs to budget development and guidance on overall financial management support to the budget holders.
- Check the integrity and robustness of financial procedures, possible mismanagement and suggest corrective actions to minimise losses.
- Implementation of a functioning, real-time master budget tool to Senior Management Team, and programme managers.
- Regulation and monitoring of the overall spending in the programme, cost-sharing and administrative cooperation between projects and personnel.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial and administrative reporting to external parties, and to the headquarters.
- Management of transparent and effective interaction with banks and other financial institutions, and agreements with authorities favourable to DRC and its beneficiaries.
Administration / HR:
- Administrative leadership over effective implementation of the relevant aspects of the country strategy, ensuring procedural and system compliance, and paving way to organisational growth.
- Direct management of administrative and finance personnel at manager level, indirect management of the officers in field offices, and monitoring the conduct of other staff in relation to the rules and policies of DRC.
- Upholding and championing of the Code of Conduct among the personnel at country office and in field locations through personal example.
- Ensure a proper management of the payroll system Homère compliant to DRC regional HR policies is in place.
- Ensure a well-functioning staff complaint reporting and handling mechanism is in place.
- As a member of senior management team, ensuring that agreed measures for safety and security are in place and adhered to by all staff, including but not limited to the upkeep of MOSS standards, security and evacuation plans, and staff movement.
- Ensuring a timely and quality delivery of administrative and financial operations and services, through sound recruitment, firm internal controls and reporting, effective coordination between projects and personnel, will be essential.
- Ensure that effective HR policies are in place and implemented that are in line with DRC international and regional procedures and Nigerian labour law.
Logistics and Procurement:
- Provide supervision to country procurement and logistics inclusive of related information management and maintenance, requests for quotations, quality control and ensuring the set procedures are followed.
- Supervise country procurement and logistics personnel, and ensuring logistics team’s close cooperation with the admin/finances, human resources and programme departments to facilitate rapid delivery of appropriate relief items.
- Monitoring procurement procedures and ensuring that items are accounted for and quality/quantity controlled in stock reports and asset inventory management system.
- Ensure maintenance, dissemination of procurement and logistics reports on observations concerning staff conduct/performance and use of organisation’s assets; and DRC/DDG monthly reports on fuel, inventory, and equipment maintenance/repair and in stock reports.
- Ensure standardization and compatibility of all DRC Nigeria IT and communications equipment to ensure effective implementation, management and control of Information Technology strategies.
- Develop a network with other INGOs on support system related topics and ensure a proactive communication with all relevant stakeholders.
- Share and coordinate administration and finance-related information with the Head of Programs and other staff, and attend any internal coordination meetings.
- Liaise with donors and government officials, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration and audit.
- Ensure timely communication with Regional Office and HQ, Project Managers and Sector leads in Nigeria concerning all issues related to finance, administration, HR, procurement and logistics.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to 7 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance or operations management in international humanitarian programmes, a demonstrated ability to set up operational management systems in a large programme and direct experience of delivery of humanitarian programme in an emergency response.
- Postgraduate Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting professional qualification such as ACCA or CPA.
- Excellent knowledge in reviewing major international donor reports and knowledge of major donor rules including UNHCR, WFP, ECHO, EC, DFID, DANIDA and USG
- Experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR system. Knowledge Dynamics 365 financial software will be an added advantage.
- Possess strong accounting, analytical and conceptual skills.
- Experience working with donors and external relations
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others. Staff management is important in this position.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and insecure circumstances.
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC
- Procurement and supply chain management is desired
- Knowledge of working in challenging and insecure environments
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Contract Length: 12 Months with possibility of extension.
- Band: M.E Level 1.
- Designation of Duty Station: Non-Family Duty Station.
Salary and Conditions
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All applicants must upload a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English
- Applications sent by email will not be considered
31st July, 2020.