Health Deputy Project Manager Vacancy at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Deputy Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 1st of October, 2019
- The association leads in average 140 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 4 million people in 22 countries - in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Caucasus and Europe.
- PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for its Health team a Health Deputy Project Manager in Maiduguri.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Under the supervision of the Health Project manager (PM), the Health Deputy Project Manager (DPM) shall ensure the overall support and direct supervision of the teams working in PUI facilities and enrolled in PUI health project in Bolori II.
- S/he should assist the health PM in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring of agreed health activities and planned capacity building.
- Support in the good implementation and monitoring of the health projects in collaboration with the Health Project Manager
- Ensure that agreed activities and procedures are regularly and timely performed by Health teams
- Collaborate with other departments (MHPSS, Nutrition, Protection, and Food Security) as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Ensure that members of the teams and daily paid workers as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to their activities (for example PEP kits [post-exposure treatment kits], gloves…).
- Ensure that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project objectives and participate actively in their implementation.
- Assist the Health Project Manager in the development of new interventions and/or adjustment of current interventions.
- Participate actively in the supervision of health activities through checklists, observations, and reports to the Health Program Manager
- Supervise monthly planning and action plan within the Health facilities
- Ensure that the team is following up proper medical protocols, and applying them according to international and national recommendations and guidelines
- Manage the supervisors/team leaders with effective guidance and adequate support
- Participate in the regular evaluation of team medical and non-medical staff in collaboration with HPM Assess training needs, develop training plans, facilitate and perform training for medical and nonmedical staff, and follow up the impact after training
- Ensure that the Health team is respecting PUI rules and inform the Health Project Manager of any disrespect of the rules
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and the regular communication with the security focal person is maintained.
- Ensure the implementation of good team management practices with supervisors/team leader
- Follow up on staff schedules, annual leave and attendance sheets in accordance with HR procedures
- Manage the recruitment of new staff in collaboration with supervisors and Health Program Manager
- Draw up Job descriptions as needed, in collaboration with the Health Program Manager
Monitoring, follow-up and reporting:
- Supervise data collection on all medical and non-medical activities
- Report to the Health Project Manager any problem in the projects, especially any gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or drugs or any patient and organizational issue
- Provide essential preventative assistance services and follow up on identified beneficiaries with NCDs and other diseases/morbidities of Public Health relevance
- Analyse epidemiological indicators and ensure that they are followed properly
- Participate in the budget follow-up with the Health Project Manager and make sure budget lines are spent properly
- Draft the internal and external reports to Health PM or/and the Medical Coordinator or other PMs
Logistics and Administrative support:
- Ensure proper needs analysis from the projects, addressing both medical (pharmaceuticals, consumables, and equipment) and non-medical requirements
- Ensure that HR documents (attendance sheet, leave request, etc) are communicated to the HR Manager on time, with validation of Health Project Manager
- Ensure the archiving the documents, tools and training materials in the context of project/s and ensures the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the proposals.
- Support logistics and pharmacy department by analysing supplier bids with highly technical specifications
- Communicate to logistics for fleet needs, logistical components of the projects (delivery, distribution, onsite storage)
- Ensure appropriate supply plan, with central pharmacy, on weekly/monthly base principle for the facility
- Ensure, in coordination with the logistics and pharmacy department, appropriate storage of medications, medical consumables, equipment, and medical waste.
Internal and External representation:
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Participate in meetings, strategy workshops, training and other, as required.
- Participate in any other activities such as surveys, assessments, among others.
- In coordination with the Health Project Manager, conduct health assessments related to other sectors (psychological support, prevalence of water-borne diseases, sexual and reproductive health, etc.).
- Participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit from Donors
- Represent the organization before local actors involved in the implementation of the medical program, and contribute to good relations within project partners (consistent with the principles of neutrality and independence of PUI).
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa. Good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Preferably MD Graduate or related medical degree, Nursing degree and Public Health Degree
- Work experience: At least 3 years of experience in Clinical Management, staff supervision and experience with NGO’s
- Computer Skills: Excellent knowledge of Ms. Office package especially Ms. Word and Ms. Excel.
Knowledge and technical skills:
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies
- Knowledge of medical ethics
- Good reporting skills.
How to Apply
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
- Ability to work independently in the field
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Team player
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
12th September, 2019.