HR & Admin Assistant at Street Child Nigeria
Street Child is a UK charity, established in 2008, that aims to create educational opportunity for some of the world's most vulnerable children. Street Child began its work in Sierra Leone in 2008 working with a small number of street children, eight years later we have helped to transform the lives of more than 50,000 children across Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal. In 2017, we launched our first project in Nigeria helping children impacted by conflict in the North East to access education.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR & Admin Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (with travel as needed)
Report to: Operations Manager
Contract duration: 6 months fixed term contract with a possibility of extension
Operational / Context Role
- Street Child is looking for a dedicated HR and Admin Assistant for our office in Maduguri to provide support across range of our activities. Our planned programmes include emergency education interventions in collaboration with the Education in Emergencies Working Group, such as building temporary learning centers, training education facilitators in delivery of the curriculum and trauma counselling, and providing teaching and learning materials.
- Street Child also conducts activities relating to unaccompanied and separated children, working to create a referral network and supporting as many children as possible to be reunified with their families and access education.
- The HR assistant will be required to work flexibly, to support the start-up of programmes, reporting directly to the Opeartions Manager. The position requires a proven experience in HR and admin function in a humanitarian context. Good communication skills, organizational ability, documentation and filing skills, attention to detail and the capacity to work with a team and independently will be required. Analytical thinking, the capacity to take on tasks at short notice, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
Roles and Responsibilities
Human Resources Management:
- Support all internal and external HR-related inquiries or requests.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
- Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of human resource files and records.
- Perform periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Assist with the recruitment process by identifying candidates, performing reference checks, and issuing employment contracts.
- Coordinate training sessions and seminars.
- Perform orientations and update records of new staff.
- Produce and submit reports on general HR activity.
- Complete termination paperwork and exit interviews.
- Keep up to date with the latest HR trends and best practices.
- Disseminate relevant announcements, communication, and documents to all staffs.
- Answer frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refer more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff or management.
- Provide clerical support to the Operations department.
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and external benefits providers and vendors, which may include health, disability, and retirement plan providers.
- Assist with performance management procedures.
- Schedule meetings, interviews, HR events and maintain agendas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Office management – including facilities management, maintenance of policies and procedures, travel and staff management.
- Supervise gardener and cleaners and monitor their work.
- Prepare correspondence and be first point of contact for the office.
- Maintain a strong document management system.
- To be responsible for assisting with the procurement of equipment and supplies for the office.
- To oversee the booking of flights and accommodation for Street Child staff as required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum High school certificate with at least 5 years of experience in HR department.
- Bachelor’s degree either in HR Management or related field is preferred.
- Prior experience working in HR department of any reputed company or organization.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn payroll management, human resource information system (HRIS), and similar computer applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity.
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful, and unstable environment.
- Willingness to travel through the country to different states.
- High integrity, honesty, and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information.
- Fluency in English and Hausa (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills.
- Kanuri is an advantage.
Street Child’s commitment to Safeguarding:
- Street Child of Nigeria is committed to the safeguarding and protection of the communities we serve, our partners, our volunteers, and our staff. As part of this commitment to safeguarding, all offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate background checks.
- Street Child also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should
Click here to apply
Send their updated CV to: [email protected] using “Application for the position of HR & Admin Assistant” as the subject of the mail.
- Candidates who have previously applied for this position are not required to apply again.
- We highly encourage qualified and experienced female candidates and candidates with origin in Borno state to apply. Street Child Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator
Application Deadline 27th September, 2022.