Human Resource Officer at Mercy Corps
Feb 3, 2021, 5:21 PM
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/28
Location: Biu, Borno, Nigeria (with travel to field/ project locations)
Employment Type: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Nigeria. This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & Development; employee engagement coordination; country wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc).
General Position Summary
- The HR Officer will work alongside members of the HR Department will be responsible for ensuring adherence of HR policies and procedures, recruitment is according to Recruiting Guidelines as well championing national hiring and national & expatriate onboarding process.
- S/he will also work with the HR Manager and HR team to support the Human Resource function across MCN including employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and HR project management in Biu, Yola, Gombe, and Damaturu Mercy Corps offices.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Support the HR Manager in successful implementation, adherence, and common understanding of National Staff Handbook and other HR Policies in all MC-N Offices
- Support the HR Manager to ensure that controls are put in place to allow for transparent and unbiased HR Processes and systems
- Execute full lifecycle talent acquisition activities for multiple disciplines and levels positions activities in line with set recruitment process and applicable staffing plans for Mercy Corps Offices in Biu, Gombe, Yola, and Damaturu.
- Provide required trainings to all HR team members, hiring managers and recruitment stakeholders to ensure smooth transition to Application Tracking System (ATS) for assigned MC offices.
- Ensure right person is put in right place and work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills for Maiduguri and all north east office positions
- Screen, refer, and maintain a talent pool of external and internal candidates for additional interviews as applicable for assigned MC offices.
- Develop strategic relationships with strategic hiring sources (e.g. colleges, universities, networks, associations working for women and minorities) ensuring awareness of MCN as a destination employer in assigned MC offices.
- Provide back-up/ interim support to North eastern region as necessary
- Travel to one of the deep field offices every 15-20 days to ensure constant staff engagement
- Proactively update HR Manager on staff issues & grievances and feedback from assigned MC offices.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure effective implementation of onboarding mechanism and all team members receive complete orientation within 15 days of hire in assigned MC offices.
- Ensure pre-hire new hire starter pack is ready and run orientation sessions for all new hires in assigned MC offices.
- Support in finalizing negotiations and prepare documentations including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires in accordance with MCN guideline for assigned MC offices in close coordination with HR Manager or designee.
- Perform all required reference, background, and documentation checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers for assigned MC offices.
- Monitor and ensure completion of all MC Mandatory onboarding and Safeguarding courses with one week of hire and full use of assigned MC offices.
- Provide a broad range of in-person field HR support, including support in performance management, grievance management and team engagement in assigned MC office
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
- Reports Directly To: HR Manager
- Works Directly With: Deputy HR Manager, Field HR Officers, All Hiring Managers, Senior Management Team, Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in HR Management/ Administration or relevant field.
- 2 - 5 years of professional experience in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management.
- Demonstrated understanding and proven experience of staffing and talent planning in international relief and development environments.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Nigerian Labor Act, compensation, benefits administration, recruitment, selection and onboarding
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, and applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Ability to communicate, influence and problem solve effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages will be an added advantage.
- The successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills and should be an excellent listener. S/ he must have excellent analytical skills, good reasoning abilities, and sound judgment.
- S/he will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and social environment that exist both in and out of Nigeria and will have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
- S/he will develop and maintain productive professional relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders within the organization and throughout the relief and development community.
- S/he will be flexible, resilient and possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 10th February, 2021.