Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Human Resources Manager at Malaria Consortium
Human Resources Manager at Malaria Consortium
Jul 23, 2020, 9:19 PM
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager Location: Abuja - Nigeria Grade: 10 Role type: National Department: Human Resource Travel involved: Up to 20% travel within Nigeria Child safeguarding level: 4 Reporting to: West and Central Africa Programmes Director Direct reports: 3 HR Officers Indirect reporting to: HR Recruitment Advisor based in the UK
Country and Project Background
- Malaria Consortium has been operational in Nigeria since 2008 first as a lead of the large DFIDfunded Support to National Malaria Programme (SuNMaP) and now as lead or partner on several programmes. In 2012, Malaria Consortium fully established itself in Nigeria with a long-term commitment and opened a country office. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for overseeing the Human Resources of the country programmes including employee relations, performance management, policy and practice, workforce planning, recruitment, induction, learning and development and provides a link between the country offices to ensure a consistency of approach and high-quality standards across all of Malaria Consortium.
- The Human Resources Manager(HRM), is responsible for overseeing the Human Resources function for the country programme including workforce planning, recruitment, induction, learning and development, performance management, employee relations, policy and practice, and also provides coaching to managers and a link between the offices to ensure a consistent approach and high-quality standards.
- This role is part of the Nigeria Management Team. The post holder will advise and provide support on Human Resources in-country ensuring policy compliance for all our HR needs across the employee life cycle.
- The post holder will be accountable for the HR administration, resourcing, succession planning, learning and development, reward, staff wellbeing, HR Budget and employee relations for the country programme, in accordance with the objectives of the country office
- The HRM will manage the Nigeria Human Resources function reporting to the West Africa Programmes Director and will interact with all staff providing advice on HR issues. This position has dotted reporting to the HR & Recruitment Advisor.
- The HRM role is a member of the senior management team in-country and works closely with management, finance, compliance, technical and operations team in country.
- The HRM supervises the HR team. External working relationships will include, legal advisors, Labour office and other non-government organisations.
- In collaboration with the HR & Recruitment Advisor, develop, review and update the Malaria Consortium Nigeria Employee Handbook ensuring that it reflects global policies, good practice and is legally compliant
- Contribute to strategic and operational planning for the Nigeria programme, advising the management team on implications from a HR perspective
- Coordinate national staff exit procedures, including conducting exit interviews and exit clearance forms
- Review the national payroll monthly report and communicate adjustments to the country finance team by the agreed local payroll cut-off date
- Represent employee issues to the senior management team and communicate same from senior management to employees;
- Ensure all national and global-national employees are insured under local medical cover, monitor workers’ compensation claims and work with the contracted insurance providers to manage claims;
- Participate in the development and implementation of HR corporate governance as required;
- Ensure employee data is managed and complaint to GDPR regulations
- Keep up to date with changes in employment legislation advising head office, managers and employees of significant changes and updating policies and procedures as required
- Conduct refresher training on Malaria Consortium Policies as required
- Act as safeguarding focal point in-country and ensures regular training for local safeguarding focal points occurs, and that there is compliance with procedures amongst all staff
- Work with the HR & Recruitment Advisor on salary and benefits surveys to ensure competitive compensation and benefits plan
- Manage the local benefits programme
- In collaboration with department heads and the HR & Recruitment Advisor to assess project staffing needs and succession
- To provide guidance to manager on recruitment and contract extension processes in adherence to the Recruitment and Data Protection policies;
- Oversee and support the placement of advertisement, distribution vacancies through local / regional networks, longlisting CVs, organising interviews, ensure HR participation in interviews, maintaining recruitment records for national staff and consultants;
- Review contractual documentation for national employees and national consultants;
- Ensure that background checks are performed as outlined in the organisational recruitment policy;
- Coordinate the onboarding process and in-country induction of new international staff and work closely with the operations team to obtain work permits for them
- Ensure new starters complete their induction programme on Malaria Consortium Learning Management system (Totara), arranging face to face sessions with in-country departments as necessary
- Conduct regular training on all HR related policies
- In collaboration with the Performance and Development Specialist support managers and staff to improve performance;
- Develop and implement the annual Learning and Development plan and develop database of providers which are quality assured
- Maintain and coordinate employee motivation and recognition programmes
- Provide guidance to staff on career development;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the performance management policy, including probation and setting objectives within two-weeks by new starters;
- Ensure training activities conducted in-country are recorded in the Learning Management System (Totara)
- Oversee that accurate and up to date records, paper, cascade, intranet and electronic personnel records, are maintained.
- Track HR data such as contract renewals, conflict of interest renewals and policy sign off renewals informing relevant staff as necessary
- Compile and submit monthly and quarterly KPI management reports to the HQ HR team
- Provide guidance to managers and staff using cascade
- Provide information for HR audits as required
- Oversees the Consultant Database to ensure that it is up-to-date and compliant with organisational policies
- Ensure all employees are insured under the Group Personal Accident (GPA) cover, monitor workers’ compensation claims and work with contracted insurance providers to manage claims
- Ensure that all HR Information is maintained and up-to-date electronically on Share-point e.g. disciplinary and grievance records, organogram, insurance / medical policies, etc.
- Work with the HR & Recruitment Advisor to advise managers on employee relations such as disciplinary, grievances, wellbeing, promotion pay and remuneration issues, including benefits;
- Proactively manage staff terminations including exit interviews
- Develop strategy and implement staff retention processes to minimise attrition rates
- Report to the organisational focal point any incidents that have been reported in accordance to the safeguarding policy.
- Provide counsel to all employees on issues concerning employee relations guided by Malaria Consortium policies.
- Support managers through disciplinary and other employee relations matters
- Line manage the HR team to ensure timely, quality HR support is provided to the Nigeria programme
- Monitor and report on expenditure of the L&D budget and HR function budget
- Participate in and contribute to the country and programme level budget review meetings and lead in quarterly forecasting of HR budget
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resource Management or related discipline
- Significant experience working in generalist Human Resources Management position
- Knowledge and experience in recruitment, reward and recognition, employee relations and trainings
- Experience in using information systems
- Experience with cascade and Learning Management Systems (Totara)
- A post-graduate qualification in Human Resource Management
- Proven significant experience working for an International Non-Government Organisation
- Experience working in networks and building strong working relationships
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Human Resource Information
- Fluent in English, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible approach to tasks and working hours
- Mature and professional demeanour
- A self-starter who is able to work on own initiatives with limited supervision
- Excellent attention to detail with well-developed administrative skills
- Knowledge and experience using MS-office packages (MS office, outlook, SharePoint)
- Demonstrable ability to lead and develop HR systems and processes
- Knowledge of INGOs Human Resource management issues
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets.
- Supports others to plan and deliver results.
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks.
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Communicates complex operational, technical and strategic issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences
- Uses varied communication to promote dialogue and shared understanding and consensus across a variety of audiences
- Influences internal and external environment for key information and messages to support communications strategies
- Builds strong networks internally
- Participates actively in external networks and / or think tanks.
- Engages with relevant experts to gather and evaluate evidence
- Shares and implements good practice with internal and external peers
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
- Develops the skills and competences of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Responds positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems and supports others to do the same
- Adapts team approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Sets realistic deadlines and goals for self or team
- Champions and takes ownership of corporate decisions, values and standards and ensures team members implement them in a positive manner
- Acts as role model internally and externally in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values
- Is accountable for ensuring that cultural awareness is demonstrated across the area (s) they manage
- Demonstrate an ability to step back from operational issues and see things holistically (helicopter vision)
- Anticipates how actions will impact other team and negotiating to reach mutually acceptable solutions
- Demonstrates and how complex strategies issues can be broken down in simple discrete steps.
Salary Competitive Benefits: National.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply Click here for more information (PDF) Note: Due to the nature of this role we will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and the role might be filled and closed before the closing date. Early applications are encouragedApplication Deadline 5th August, 2020; 23:59
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts