IITA Job in Abuja for a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding
solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning
research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development
of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality
and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate
wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in
1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the
following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and
maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research
partnership for a food secure future.
IITA invites applications for the internationally recruited position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/M&ES//05/16
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Lead M&E activities in the ATASP-1 Outreach Program.
- Prepare draft quarterly reports for ATASP1 outreach cassava component and merge with reports from ICRISAT and AfricaRice.
- Provide Outreach Coordinator and other Commodity Specialists with adequate information for strategic decision making.
- Develop a gender sensitive/mainstreaming framework for
monitoring and evaluation with proper feedback processes and
indicators/metrics which affect the project priority targets and
- In collaboration with the commodity specialists assess the
effectiveness and efficiency of project activities, outputs and
- Assess adoption and diffusion of key innovations and report on major constraints and opportunities.
- Dialogue with all key actors within and outside the project for
performance assessment of the project output, outcome and impacts.
- Undertake any other project-related task assigned by the Project Coordinator, the IITA Directorate or designated representative.
- Assist scientists in designing survey instruments, carryout
socio-economic surveys, clean and edit data, and write up as necessary.
- Define key indicators to monitor according to timeframe (productivity, production, income, access to input and product markets).
- Along with the M&E specialists in the rice and sorghum value
chains of the project, the national coordination office and the zonal
sites, develop a robust M&E framework and use same for the M&E
for easy comparison of results.
- Support ATASP1 outreach program by closely following the
projects Result-Based Logical Framework (RBLF) in order to collect and
document data for use in measuring the impact, outcome, and output
- The candidate should have a PhD or MSc in Social Sciences, Agricultural Economics or related field.
- Working Experience: Five to ten years of experience in the field of M&E, with three to five years in Africa.
- The ideal candidate must:
- Have the capacity to work effectively in a team;
- Be competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Competent in use of statistical analytical software.
- Knowledgeable in performance analysis indicators, logical
framework approach, theory-based evaluation, formal survey techniques,
rapid appraisal methods and other participatory methods, cost-benefit
analysis and impact assessment approaches.
- Ability to pay attention to details and accuracy.
- Has the capacity to plan and organize activities.
- Possess special ability for information and task monitoring.
- Skillful in problem analysis and problem solving.
- Good publication records in peer review journals.
- Conversant with database development, storage and management.
- Have an objective judgment of opinions.
- Ability to ascertain facts and target group preferences.
The contract will be for an initial period of three years with
possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward their covering letter which should
address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the
specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and
addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the
Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s
direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Click here to apply
Click here for more information
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
23rd June 2016.