Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Job for a Construction Assistant at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Job for a Construction Assistant at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Nov 9, 2019, 10:11 PM
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Construction Assistant Job Ref Code: CRT81119 Location: Maiduguri, Borno Band: 4 Department: Programs Reports To: Construction Engineer Job Summary
- The Construction Assistant will be working under the leadership and guidance of the WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead, accountable for professional technical contribution and supervision of construction and rehabilitation activity implementation within the framework of the Northeast emergency response program.
- Provide support to the Construction Engineer in executing technical assessment of proposed infrastructure for rehabilitation.
- Support the development of Bills of Quantities (BoQs), technical drawings, and tender documents
- Provide input into the development of site work plans to ensure adequate technical compliance with construction specifications in the field.
- Provide leadership for CRS Construction Forepersons in the field to promote effective contractor supervision and management in the field
- Ensure up-to-date and daily management of infrastructure construction and rehabilitation activities and provide line manager with periodic progress reports
- Follow up with contractors in ensuring health, safety and environment component of the construction sites are adequately implemented.
- Work closely with Construction Forepersons to provide technical expertise (e.g. mentoring, monitoring, construction, assessments) in construction and contractor supervision on all field sites.
- Provide technical guidance to forepersons to utilize infrastructure quality/monitoring tools
- Security management responsibilities:
- Abide by the security procedures and policies and report any breaches.
- Participate in personal safety training as required.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree/HND in Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture or technical related fields with rich field experience.
- Minimum of one-year experience in field level construction supervision.
- Good English language skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where network may be limited.
- Effective inter-personal skills, consensus-building.
- Planning and organization skills and analytical approach
- Demonstrated experience of integrity and professionalism
- Good experience with contractor supervision, management and evaluation.
- Good Knowledge of Nigerian construction standards, codes and regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook Access).
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD engineering design software application.
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
- Strong customer service orientation with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Hausa and Kanuri languages are added advantage
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Good time management skills with ability to multitask
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts