Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Job for a Construction Engineer at Catholic Relief Services
Job for a Construction Engineer at Catholic Relief Services
Nov 9, 2019, 10:16 PM
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Construction Engineer Job Ref Code: CNR81119 Location: Maiduguri, Borno Band: 7 Department: Programs Reports To: Infrastructure Team Leader Job Summary
- The Construction Engineer will work under the leadership and guidance of the WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead, accountable for professional technical contribution and supervision of construction and rehabilitation activity implementation within the framework of the Northeast emergency response program.
- Work with WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead in technical assessment of proposed infrastructure for rehabilitation.
- Supervise and ensure quality implementation of contractor-led construction activities related to the project
- Monitor and inspect all assigned infrastructure contracts and provide certification reports
- Support contractors in ensuring health, safety and environment component of the construction sites are adequately implemented.
- Support the development of Bills of Quantities (BoQs), technical drawings, and tender documents
- Develop detailed, site-specific work plan to ensure adequate technical oversight of construction activities at field-level
- Work closely with construction assistant and foremen and to provide technical expertise (e.g. mentoring, monitoring, construction, assessments) related to the planned infrastructure works on all field sites.
- Support foremen to utilize simple infrastructure quality/monitoring tools.
- Provide periodic report of field site works and challenges to Team Lead.
- Ensure that all construction/infrastructure data within the staff’s portfolio of sites is well managed and provides an accurate representation of the reality on the ground.
- Submit regular reports related to the project to the team lead.
- Responsible of the day-to-day security management as it relates to program implementation.
- Abide by the security procedures and policies and report any breaches.
- Participate in personal safety training as required.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture or technical related fields with rich field experience. Professional license is a plus.
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD engineering design software application.
- Good English language skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where network may be limited.
- Effective inter-personal skills, consensus-building.
- Planning and organization skills and analytical approach
- Demonstrated experience of integrity and professionalism
- Minimum of three years’ experience in field level construction project management and supervision.
- Good experience with effective contractor supervision and contractor performance management and evaluation.
- Good Knowledge of Nigerian construction standards, codes and regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook Access).
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
- Strong customer service orientation with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Hausa and Kanuri languages are added advantage
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Good time management skills with ability to multitask
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts