Job For National GEP3 State Project Coordinator at the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund
May 2, 2019, 12:42 PM
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National GEP3 State Project Coordinator (SPC)
Job Number: 520754 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Katsina, Niger, Sokoto and Zamfara
Work Type : Consultancy
Consultancy Duration: 11.5 months
Purpose of Assignment
- The purpose of this consultancy is to ensure effective implementation and coordination of all UNICEF supported activities in the target state (Katsina, Niger, Sokoto or Zamfara) as per the Girls Education Project Phase 3 (GEP3) state workplan and contributing to overall results of UNICEF Education Programme.
- GEP3 activities are implemented in close partnership with government education agencies and civil society partners.
- The consultant will report to Education Specialist/Officer, Field Office in charge of the state, and with the guidance of the GEP3 Manager or his/her designated representative. The consultant will work closely and coordinate with GEP3 Education team based in the Field Office, UNICEF Field Office responsible officer/specialist for the implementation of the Education Programme in the target state. The SPC is expected to create an effective professional relationship with relevant decision-makers and education sector stakeholders in the state to advance GEP3 activities and results.
Scope /Focus of the assignment
- The assignment will require the consultants (State Project Coordinators, SPCs) to effectively coordinate the implementation of programmes and activities relating to GEP3 work plan for the target state (Katsina, Niger, Sokoto and Zamfara).
Under the management and supervision of the Field Office Education Specialist/Officer for each state, and with overall guidance from the GEP3 Manager, the State Project Coordinator (SPC) shall carry out the following task in fulfilling the expectations of this post and its assignments:
- Supervise the work of all GEP3 consultants ensuring that work plans are developed, submitted and implemented as planned. Ensure all consultant reports are submitted timely.
- Ensure that all GEP3 interventions are implemented according to state work plan through effective and efficient management and coordination of GEP3 resources
- Ensure that the State Girls Education Committee meets quarterly, with representatives from all bodies and institutions with direct involvement in GEP3 (including civil society and Islamic representation), and with direct managerial, coordination and monitoring responsibilities for GEP3;
- Act as secretary to the above committee, arranging regular meetings, keeping minutes and following up on action points and development and implementation of its work plan;
- Support FO Education team to ensure that credible and timely education annual plans are prepared for joint submission to the State Planning and Budget agency and UNICEF/DFID;
- Lead by the FO, provide technical support in the implementation of SESP/SESOP and advocate using same to inform the formulation of annual education budgets and release of funds;
- Ensure adequate records of all girls education activities in the state are kept by State M&E Officer and shared with UNICEF NCO and FO on monthly basis;
- Ensure that UNICEF protocols are used to resource project activities, and keep accurate and transparent accounts of all inputs, outputs, expenditures and resource use;
- Liaise with and between all bodies and institutions involved in GEP3 activities, particularly the SMoE, SUBEB, SAME and the College of Education, and ensure effective pursuit of project targets and implementation of activities;
- Liaise closely with other DFID funded programmes (i.e. SPARC) to maximise engagement at state level especially around planning and budgeting
- Lead advocacy activities in support of GEP3 interventions including the improvement of Girls Education, identify when high-level advocacy is needed to be done by UNICEF or DFID;
- Facilitate state annual reviews of state GEP3 progress and lead on monitoring and knowledge dissemination within the State, particularly to disseminate best practice to LGAs;
- Facilitate state visits by GEP3 Annual Review teams and other agencies for UNICEF/DFID
- Oversee the timely disbursement and retirement of funds at the state level, monitor and conduct spot internal audit checks on the use of both project and state funds disbursed to the SBMC at community level;
- Liaise with CSO to ensure a credible series of monitoring field checks are made in supported communities;
- Ensure accountability, transparency and follow up in all GEP3 activities by State GEP3 team.
- Ensure Value for Money initiatives are promoted and on-going;
- Produce regular monthly work plans and monthly/quarterly reports and submit to the Permanent Secretary of Education, SUBEB Chairperson and the UNICEF FO. Include disbursements of state commitments (approved and actual) to GEP3 activities monthly.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required
- Advanced degree in Education, Economics, Statistics, International Development or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience and demonstrated ability in the coordination and management of state level projects or development work preferably in northern Nigeria
- At least 3 years of supporting capacity development work
- Competent in analysis of data and evidence (including Value for Money)
- Extensive knowledge and skills of education and social sectors in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills using diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data
- Demonstrates, applies and shares technical knowledge
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, to varied audiences, especially in the target states
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Skills in the use of Microsoft office suites are essential
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th May, 2019.
- Applicants should quote an all inclusive fee in their cove letters.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Enter your email below and click subscribe.
OND / HND / BSC Holders Experienced Personnel Katsina State Niger State Sokoto State Zamfara State Consultancy UNICEF