Job Vacancy at UNICEF for Administrative Assistant
Nov 6, 2019, 11:30 PM
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Job Number: 527648
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Management of office property and office consumables:
- Maintain record of all office property and ensure they are properly tagged and ensure tracking system is in place and updated on a regular basis upon authorized movement.
- Assist the Senior Administrative Assistant in identifying and effecting required repairs and maintenance of office premises, equipment, fittings and fixtures.
- Assist the Senior Administrative Assist in ensuring a clean work environment including the surroundings, on a daily basis.
- Assist any other Admin related activities and in any HR activities as instructed by the management.
- Create a room list of all assets provided to each staff/office and ensure every staff signed for the assets in their custody.
- Conduct at least 2 physical counts yearly (a mid-year and year-end) of PP&E, perform appropriate Vision related transactions where required, generate and submit reports.
- Identify office property items due for disposal by the Property Survey Board (PSB) and generate a matrix for further action by the Supervisor and the management.
- Assist in implementing PSB decisions.
- Manage office consumables efficiently; create bin cards for each consumable, update bin cards and established the reorder level for each consumable. Document all deliveries and receipts. Order consumable based on the reorder level and at no time should there be stock out. Produce the monthly consumption reports.
- Carry out quarterly count of consumable stocks and proceed with reconciliation of counts data with data base records.
Creation of Requisitions and Payment Processing and Other related activities:
- Responsible to raise requisitions for procurements requiring requisitions as they relate to Operations sections or for office use and provide assistance to programme sections in raising requisitions when required.
- In line with UNICEF procedures and rules, initiate all payments related to Operations sections and ensure supporting documents are consistent; provide assistance when needed for payments related to programme sections.
- Raise Fund Commitments (FCs) and services/supply/consumable requisitions in Vision (ERP System).
- Generates open commitments reports for review and ensure closure of obligations that have been consumed.
- Track fund commitments, contracts and purchase orders through review of necessary budgetary reports and ensure prompt closure and release of unutilized funds.
- Receive approved requests for vendor registrations, fill the require form and send to Master Data Management (MDM) in Abuja for onward submission to Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) in Budapest, Hungary.
Finance related function and activities:
- Responsible for the management of the petty cash and disburse funds from the petty cash only against approved requests and within the petty cash limit (within 24 hours of receipt of requests). Comply with the rules on petty cash management and ensure to disburse cash only for eligible expenses.
- Ensure petty cash are replenished as soon as possible and that there is always sufficient petty cash for minor operational expenses. Submit petty cash documents, including the certificate of cash counts to the finance Abuja for petty cash replenishment.
- Maintain accurate petty cash records and ensure that petty cash vouchers and cash are kept in the cash till and that the cash till is kept in the safe at the end of each day.
Specific Administrative Tasks and Travel Management:
- Responsible to make arrangements and provide assistance to staff for Immigration and Visa related matters in Maiduguri.
- Perform travel admin functions of Travel Authorization (TA), including checking for and effecting required corrections, posting and follow up on certification as well as updating of certified TAs as per approvals.
- Generate open TA report and inform individuals with open TAs over 05 days and share with the Operations Manager for appropriate further action.
- Certify and Close TAs in VISION for drivers and other operations staff members who do not have Vision access.
Reporting Activities and Filing System:
- Maintain accurate and adequate filing of all Admin and Finance documents for verification and audit purpose.
- Ensure IN/OUT mails/correspondences/pouch are registered in the registry log and dispatch outgoing mails/pouch via UNHAS and UPS Parcel Service.
- Prepare reports of activities on a monthly basis or when required and contribute with input to the office global reporting activities.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Competencies required
- Completion of Secondary Education is required. A university degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years of clerical/admin/finance experience in a reputed organization required.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, stressful work environment.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software.
Core Values (Required):
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required):
- Drive for Results
- Working with People
Functional Competencies (Required):
- Learning & Researching
- Planning & Organizing
- Following Instructions & Procedures
View our competency framework at:
Deadline: 20th November, 2019 by 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- For Nigerian Nationals only