Logistics Officer at International Medical Corps
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- To provide quality logistic support for all IMC project sites in Nigeria, work with other members of the logistics team to develop and implement efficient logistical support systems for IMC. To coordinate all logistics activities and address logistics needs of the WFP funded project.
- Managing / supervising resources within defined boundaries, which include people and assets.
- Providing professional advice to managers on areas of work covered in their remit.
- Flexibility to anticipate and resolve challenges within corporate or divisional parameters, with moderate scope.
- Contribute to and influence operational planning.
- Influence managers, staff and volunteers in IMC and develop effective networks with external bodies.
- Ensure Health and Safety procedures are followed at specific sites.
- Influences the development of strategy and supports operational implementation.
- Develops solutions to diverse and complex problems within organizational policy.
- Interprets and applies operational and specialist information in a variety of formats from a variety of sources.
- Continue to support security risks assessment and support the development of appropriate security plans in a complex and fast changing environment**
- To take overall responsibility for the management, co-ordination & implementation of logistics. This includes procurement, warehouse & stock management as well as vehicle/fleet management
- To take overall responsibility for the preparedness and the operationalization of WFP project Site distributions (Foods, NFI, e-vouchers, cash).
- Define the best approach and the Needs to ensure Goods operational support for any distribution Programs.
- Ensure that appropriate measures are taken to implement and monitor Programme logistics plans. These should be through the IMC logistics, purchasing & supply procedures manual and close collaboration with the other programme support functions (particularly finance) and proactively planning with programme teams.
- Ensure that logistical training plans and activities are developed and implemented. This should be targeted at key IMC staff and partners on relevant IMC logistical policies and procedures and compliance to donor requirements.
- Represent IMC at field level external meetings as and when required whilst establish effective transparent lines of communication with suppliers, INGOs/UN and local authorities
- Ensure compliance with Government, Donor and IMC procedures and ensure risks are kept to a minimum.
- Liaise with Procurement Manager and Finance on payments of vendors that were engaged for logistics services and materials for the program.
- To develop and help implement appropriate logistical plans taking into account a contingency planning process in order to be prepared for any new emergency or urgency within the program as well as closure / scale down of program.
- Provide Weekly / Monthly logistics reports specific to the WFP program (Narrative Reports, Stock reports, Assets and Inventory, requisition tracking sheet, and vehicle reports) in a timely manner, feeding into donor reports and ensuring procurement and assets control is done in accordance to donor requirements.
Procurement and storage:
- Coordinate with the procurement team to ensure that all the procurement for the respective project and interventions are done in time with good quality of goods and services
- Contribute to overall procurement plans for field level requirements.
- Ensure adequate specifications are provided from field level for all requisitions.
- Provide timely information to the programme department, on local and national procurement by maintaining a requisition tracking system.
Warehousing & Assets:
- Keep on Track Asset Register and Stocks Reports for the respective project.
- To set up secure, safe warehousing / Rub Hall for field storage of materials for the rainy season including fuel when needed.
- Coordinate with the Asset Officer that coding and proper tagging of program assets and the maintenance of an up to date and proper asset inventory for Project team equipment are done.
Transport and communication:
- Ensure Field level rental Fleet, Rental Drivers or IMC drivers attached to the project comply with IMC vehicle and driver policies and that an effective fleet management system is established with minimum risks to IMC.
- Train drivers in the maintenance and running vehicles, security and travel protocols, and standard procedures.
- Oversee planning of vehicle allocation in order to optimally serve the needs of the programme.
- Oversee the repair and regular maintenance of the fleet in the field where field level servicing is possible.
- To ensure field level monitoring of the fuel consumption and maintenance of IMC vehicles and the skills of the drivers.
- Ensure timely availability of trucks in good condition for movement of food commodities from the program warehouse to distribution sites
- Oversee the regulation of the use of vehicles and communications equipment.
- To oversee the installation, programming, adequate use and maintenance of communications equipment such as radios, sat-phones, telephones, fax and V-sat or other mode of internet connection in the field.
- Monitor and advice on security situation and, together with the Project manager, support appropriate actions to be undertaken in the field in relation to changes in the security environment.
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Team, Project Manager, and Country Supply Chain Coordinator to monitor and ensure that appropriate physical means are in place to ensure safety / evacuation of staff in their respective duty stations.
- Training on logistics procedures and participation in the development of work plans of the wider team and partners
- Identify the Needs of Daily Workers and manage them in line with IMC Procedures
- Ensure availability of casual laborers and coordinate on their loading and offloading of food commodities from the program warehouse to the distribution points.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Skills and Competence
- Preferably degree / diploma in Logistics and Supply or equivalent qualification plus mentioned experience.
- At least four or three experience in logistics with a minimum two years managing, huge and complex distribution in logistics (FOOD, NFI, E-VOUCHER, CASH); Managing Logistics set-up for a Logistics Humanitarian Response; within an NGO or International Organisation.
- Proven training and capacity building experience
- Proficiency in the use of computers (Excel and Word)
- Strong ability to pay attention to detail. Good organizational, coordination and planning skills
- Ability to work and handle pressure & Strong team player.
- Good understanding of the program coverage area.
- Knowledge and good command of local languages (Hausa, Kanuri)
- Proven experience and knowledge of operational logistics & supply chain, policies & procedures**
- Good command of English. Proven ability to communicate effectively internally and externally, both orally and in writing
- Initiative and active problem-solving skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send and address their Applications to the "Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps" via: [email protected]
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
Important Information & Notice
- Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this *recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document. International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: [email protected] Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the Subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Position: Nigerian nationals only
Application Deadline 19th March, 2021.