Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) Manager at BURN Nigeria
BURN is the largest vertically integrated modern cookstove company in the world, providing world-class R&D, manufacturing, and carbon offset projects from our HQ in Kenya and across 10 countries in Africa. We are working to create a world where cooking positively impacts all life on earth by producing the world’s most efficient biomass, liquid fuel, and electric cookstoves. Our team of 900 people - 51% of whom are women - is on track to produce and sell over 150,000 stoves per month in 2022 at our solar-powered facility in Kenya.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job type: Full Time
About the Role
- Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) in climate change mitigation actions are the collection of processes, activities, and tools used for measurement and characterizing project performance in terms of environmental and social benefits, such as GHG emissions reduction and SDG goals achievement. They form the foundation by which carbon markets operate.
- Our approach is to leverage on technology and human capital for field data collection and measurement approaches at the household level, to acquire the data necessary to accurately calculate GHG emission reduction from this data based on accepted methodologies.
- The ideal candidate would have a proven track record of setting and delivering on goals for high-fidelity data from the field.
- We’re looking for someone that finds fulfillment and enjoyment in joining a winning team of MRV executors. Someone who pushes forward initiatives by asking great questions, cutting through ambiguity, and organizing to win.
- The person would need to be relentlessly detail-oriented, methodical in their approach to understanding trade-offs, place the highest emphasis on progress, and progress quickly while working in a highly functioning team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Defining needs for reporting and nurturing the culture of performance to set the bar for speed and quality.
- Operationalizing MRV field teams to run 3 to 5 different types of heavy data collection projects within the 1st year with higher growth thereafter.
- Work closely with the Head of MRV/Country Reps to mobilize & track roll out of effective MRV teams within the country, timelines, cost & quality expectations
- Initiate and follow through in the mobilization of budgets and other resources for efficient and timely execution of feasibility studies.
- Working closely with the Head of MRV and other critical internal stakeholders, develop sops and checklists for maintaining the highest quality processes for efficient output from data and related units.
- Continuously review and audit the processes and surveys necessary to complete MRV studies projects in time both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Ensure data and documentation are compliant with laid down SOPs and methodologies
- Collaborate and liaise closely and regularly with the relevant team members across the critical departments including but not limited to data and analytics, call centers, carbon, and commercial.
- Manage routine corrections of erroneous output and work to continuously improve this environment by harvesting and documenting lessons towards continuous improvement.
- Develop country-customized training materials for MRV-focused studies enumerators borrowing from the master training document under the supervision of the FS project manager.
- Inject fresh ideas on the effective execution of carbon-related MRV activities across the board within the country from feasibility studies to verification
- Maintain a highly optimized & strategic calendar to achieve maximum results with optimal resources.
- Defining goals and metrics for research areas and running effective operational reviews with leadership.
- Ownership over in-country MRV metrics for communicating progress against goals. Identifying if extra roles are needed to support you (e.g. data analyst to deploy KPI dashboards if needed)
- Defining the project plan with the support of internal business processes by which work gets done on the MRV teams
- Recruit, train and supervise an in-country, location-efficient team of contractor field team leaders and/or enumerators that can execute household-level feasibility studies.
- Creating comprehensive monthly reports on the Pareto of issues, including root causes, examples, trends, and options for solutions.
- 3+ years of relevant career experience
- Strategic planner
- Large field teams’ management and coordination
- Large field project management
- Training & QA/QC experience
- Comfortable with digesting heavy data
- Organizational, communication, and team-building skills
- High-level presentation skills
- Resource mobilization & accountability experience; HR, funds, material
- Fast learning capabilities (for technical carbon internalization)
- In-country travel ready
- Individuals will need excellent technical abilities to carry out audit-like work in a data-heavy environment.
- Team leadership and management of field teams in multiple locations.
- Relevant technical data handling skills in areas of collection using tools like Kobo and analysis using Ms. Excel.
- Excellent Communication skills in both written and spoken English.
- Strong experience in field teams’ leadership and management
- Data collection using platforms and mobile apps like Kobo
- Team coordination
- Project coordination
- Process audit experience
- Required soft skills include people and teamwork skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- The role-holder is expected to have strong field monitoring and evaluation skills including effective communication skills to constantly liaise with the team members to ensure all enumerators or team leaders are achieving both their qualitative and quantitative targets.
- This specialist should also have effective communication skills to interact with team members or customers, as well as provide training as needed to colleagues.
- Possess 3 to 5 years of experience in field team leadership and management in areas like data collection or sales.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Qualified Female Candidates encouraged to Apply
- BURN does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training, or any other fees)