Opex Optimization Engineer at Airtel Nigeria
Airtel Nigeria (Airtel Networks Limited) is a leading telecommunications services provider in Nigeria headquartered in Lagos, the commercial nerve-centre of Nigeria. The telco ranks amongst the top four mobile service providers in terms of subscribers with a customer base of more than 39.8 million. The company's product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce and enterprise services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Opex Optimization Engineer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-time
- To provide support in managing the power systems architecture and power systems operations (on all technical and non-technical infrastructures nationwide) in Airtel Nigeria. Management of Site Fuelling - Planning, procurement, distribution.
Preparation and management of the annual operating plans OPEX (AOPs) for all the active and passive network systems in Airtel Nigeria:
- Support the preparation of annual power budget on CAPEX and OPEX while tracking the process of obtaining management approvals for power budget and seek OPEX and CAPEX approvals for passive and power related expenses.
- Monitor, control, and track all OPEX and CAPEX expenses made on approved budget as well as to reporting status of power budget to the senior management.
- Track and report achievement of Annual Operating Plan (AOP) targets and report OPEX savings achieved based on targeted operating expenditure saving initiatives to ensure optimization of all network investments.
- Define Scope and service level agreements for passive contracts, monitor achievement of defined objectives to ensure an effective and efficient compliance to all touch points.
- Develop and manage process documents and guidelines for network power equipment replacement and repairs.
- Ensure compliance to applicable policies, procedures and monitor availability of all relevant documentation, across relevant touch points to ensure synergy across all SPs services
- Report management: DG swap, Diesel delivery, PHCN reports, Hybrid, ETC.
- Managed procedures and approvals for change requests that relate to passive.
- Provide Emergency/Monthly/weekly network reports.
- Implement service level agreement measurement methodology to ensure all SPs are accurately measured, rewarded and penalized accordingly
- Develop, manage, and keep an up-to-date and accurate passive equipment database and ensure Periodic audit of all installed power equipment in the network.
Partner Management and Governance:
- Manage and control ISM, MS and all other support contracts between Airtel and Airtel partners to ensure the contract deliverables are met.
- Management of third-party vendor on Power Infrastructure and passive issues on deployment and passive works
- Support the operational interface to both internal and external stakeholders especially commercial, customer service delivery and IT teams
- Ensure adherence to governance model.
- Manage process documents and guidelines for network power equipment replacement and repairs.
- Ensure compliance to applicable policies, procedures and monitor availability of all relevant documentation, across relevant touch points to ensure synergy across service providers
- End-to end operational Support of the entire power network and infrastructure to provide power to Core/IN/VAS nodes, base station system and Transmission domain.
- Plan and implement excellent maintenance schedule on all passive Equipment in all BTS, BSC, Transmission, MSC, and Data centers.
- Perform preventive maintenance schedule audit and tracking
- Plan and coordinate the swap and upgrades of power equipment and installations such DG, AC & HVAC units, and rectifier, batteries, transformers, stabilizers, power panels, inverters, UPS, Fire protection and warranty claims at major switch sites/data centers, BSC, BB, BTS sites.
- Plan and manage the monthly diesel fuel requirement for all the sites in the network.
- Ensure Key focus on variables which decides the energy cost and recurring operating expenditure of a site such as: Diesel CPH, DG Run Hours, EB Hours Availability, battery backup, EB / Non EB, DG capacity, tenancy count, ID / OD, PHCN disconnection, late payment penalties, cabinet expansion, PHCN tariff & diesel rate and drive vendor performance towards achieving desired cost reduction targets.
- Development of BOQ for power equipment, creation of RFQ and RFP documents review, and check power related invoices submitted, progress payments, billings and job closeout.
- Managing acceptance and signing of ATP documents, JCC and warranty certificates.
- Support the operational interface to both internal and external stakeholders especially enterprise, commercial, customer service delivery and IT teams.
- Passive Spares request and replacement management to ensure availability of both critical and non-critical spares.
- Managing resolution of passive alarms and crisis due to emergency/unexpected break down of critical network power equipment
- Incidence management recommendations and follow up
- Provide design and support; suggest changes to specification and standards to regional personnel and vendors on preventive and corrective maintenance program on power equipment for more efficient operation.
- Take part in the management and resolution of community issues that can affect network availability.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Electrical / Electronic / Telecoms Engineering or any related field.
- 4- 6 years of varied experience in operation and maintenance in the Telecom industry.
Skills & Competencies:
- Sound knowledge of Knowledge of Telecommunication Architecture
- Power equipment Database development and management
- Sound knowledge of MSC and Data Center passive equipment
- Grid HV, MV, LV systems and distribution boards.
- Precision cooling system.
- Fire protection and suppression systems.
- Hybrid power systems, Solar Power, and IPMS system and SAM2 site monitoring alarm systems.
- Ability to develop and interpret M & E drawings.
- Project management skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- AutoCAD skills with ability to create single line diagrams.
- Sound knowledge of power systems DC and AC.
- DC Rectifier plant and battery banks and inverter’s system,
- UPS system and backup batteries,
- Generators (Caterpillars, Perkins, Cummins, etc.)
- Power control panels, Synchronizing panels, Distribution panels, AMF / ATS panel.
- Power transformer and voltage stabilizer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted