Pharmacy Coordinator at Medecins du Monde
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Pharmacy Coordinator
Analytical code: MHU338002
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Type of Contract: CDDU
Duration: 6 months (Renewable)
Starting Date: ASAP
Related Occupation: Pharmacy Manager - category 5
Conditions of the Job:Regular field visits, without time limitation, to sites of intervention or assessment
- Under the supervision of the Deputy General Coordinator (Deputy GenCo) in charge of Programs, the Pharmacy Coordinator is responsible for the overall management of the pharmaceutical, kits and nutrition commodities and material needed for the projects.
- This includes, quality insurance of supplies, supply chain (incl stock) follow up and need estimates, support to clinics in stock management and qualitative prescriptions (risk management), etc. This apply to MdM program in both Maiduguri and Damboa and may be enlarged to other base of intervention.
Management of Pharmacy & Medical Stock:
- Ensure the proper stock management of items (consumables, drugs, medical material, nutrition products and kits), particular stock management, temperature and cold chain at warehouse in MdM offices, with frequent visits to the field
- Ensure the storage of drugs by donor
- Ensure the collection and evaluation of the weekly /monthly drugs/items consumption of the MdM Mission; and conduct the analysis of drugs/items needs
- Ensure that national pharmacists anticipate the shortage of drugs/items, overstock and pre-expired and take the prompt action
- Ensure that all needed supports to guarantee a proper stock management are fulfilled (stock cards, Saga stock…)
- For national purchase, ensure QUAMED recommendations are used and if needed ensure validation by HQ pharmacist
- Ensure QUAMED assessment if needed are planned, budgeted, and coordinated with other NGO
- Manage alert on drugs/items quality and ensure incident report and action accordingly.
- Ensure the storage conditions in the pharmacy store. Identify points for improvement and insure they are taken into account at budget definition stages as well as implemented in close coordination with logistic if needed
- Ensure the proper elaboration and reception of international and national orders in coordination with logistics and the request and reception of donations
- Ensure that monthly inventory is properly conducted at warehouse and satellite pharmacies
- Ensure that drug dispensers submit weekly consumption and conduct weekly inventory of the clinics
- Ensure the management of expired/damaged drugs/items according to Nigerian National protocols
- Ensure that field items supply is achieved according to the needs and on time
- Ensure that field teams store and transport drugs/items from and to the field in proper conditions
Technical support and capacity building:
- Coach the pharmacists on pharmaceutical management at warehouse according to the MdM stock management procedures
- Train and support Medical Supervisors and pharmacists on stock management, consumption, drugs order request/receptions (national or international orders), donations from partners and reporting
- Set-up a capacity building plan for the team and identify specific training to empower the deputy pharmacist
- Support pharmacy staff in their daily duty and propose solution to them according to MdM process
- Train pharmacists on reporting
- Support the Program and Logistics departments on Pharmacy orders
- Participate on organize drugs protocols training for MdM staff and/or MoH health workers; train and inform on drugs risks/quality prescription with a specific focus on antibiotics resistance (risk mitigation)
- Train and technically support the field teams, including Health Program managers and Medical Supervisors on specific topics (e.g. MdM Drugs rules, Monthly medical consumption, Drugs inventory, Drugs storage, management of expired and/or damaged drugs, etc.) in order to increase the MdM team member capacities and knowledge
- Perform regular field visits to control and supervise the pharmacy activities
- Ensure that QUAMED local market assessment is used for purchase and planned for renewal when needed
- Support the Program department in the preparation of Budget (financial plan and proposal, forecast and follow up with regards to pharmaceuticals and pharmacy needs)
- Support the Pharmacy team with SAGA STOCK – software used by MdM for stock management.
- Organize weekly/monthly work plan for the pharmacy team and submit to Deputy GenCo in charge of Programs
- Conduct the performance appraisal of the deputy pharmacist and ensure each team member gets an appraisal from his/her own manager (contribute if needed)
- In collaboration with Field Coordinators and field teams, ensure proper support and supervision of the performance of drug dispensers at field level
- Participate on the recruitment process according to the needs
- Participate in the discussions related to the revision of the HR structure linked to the Country Strategy
- Provide technical supervision of pharmacists and drug dispensers
- Facilitate regular team meetings within the pharmacists/drug dispensers’ team as well as with other MDM health sectors.
Communication & Reporting:
- Ensure information is shared to field teams when alert on drugs/items quality
- Participate on internal meetings
- Communication with partners and participate on regular basis to inter-agency pharmacy meetings
- Provide relevant data to MdM medical team (drugs and medical material supplies, etc.) and to Deputy GenCo in charge of Programs and Health Coordinator (mission orders; request; financial forecast; payment, etc.)
- Contribute to donor reporting by providing relevant data and indicators.
- Provide regular reporting on activities to Deputy GenCo in charge of Programs upon his/her solicitation (coordination meeting, bilateral meeting, etc.).
- Coordinate with UNICEF for nutrition commodities together with Nutrition Technical Advisor
- Ensure the centralization of all drugs/item’s information available on the mission and contribute to report (monthly analysis and recommendations from the pharmacy) and submit to Deputy GenCo in charge of Programs, Health Coordinator, medical team, HQ pharmacist Advisor and HQ health Advisor
The list of missions is not exhaustive and may be changed to reflect developments and specific needs.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Pharmacy / Master's Degree in Pharmacy / Ph.D
- Diploma in tropical medicine / public health could be an added value
- Three years’ experience (ideally with initial field experience and/or pharmacy stock management experience)
- Experience in working with partners
- Experience in emergency humanitarian settings
- Experience in team management.
- Grasp pharmaceutical stock management tools (SAGA stock, Excel, etc.)
- Analyse medical consumption (consistency between prescriptions and observed consumption) and report any discrepancies that are observed
- Understand donors’ rules on stock management
- Understand and use pharmacy management standards, procedures and pharmacy management tools
- Draft reports on the area of intervention to document monitoring and traceability
- Assess the supply circuit of medications (local purchases, imports, transport, product quality).
- Design and lead training in the relevant field.
- Check pharmaceutical orders
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work quickly, under pressure, and with short deadlines
- Leadership / team player
- Respectful and integrity
- Ability to work in multicultural environment
- Ability to work and live in a volatile security context.
- Ability to take effective decisions according to the context
- Good writing and communication skills
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation and adaptability
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft 365 environment.
- English is mandatory (oral and written)
- Knowledge of French would be an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email
Application Deadline 16th September, 2022.