Policy and Advocacy Associate at the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy and Advocacy Associate
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: 36 Months
Travel required: Less than 30%
About the Role
- The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking a Policy and Advocacy Associate to strengthen GAIN’s policy and advocacy work and its ability to engage with and influence global and national policy priorities and processes around food and nutrition security.
- This role will be offered on a three (3) year fixed term contract, subject to availability of funding and will be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The main purpose of this role is to strengthen GAIN's policy and advocacy work and its ability to engage with and influence global and national policy priorities and processes around food and nutrition security.
- Contribute to drafting reports, policy papers and briefs, factsheets and other documents which synthesize GAIN learnings, values and priorities.
- Support with the preparation of briefs, memos, high profile slide decks, and engage in other content development support (inputs/notes requested by government partners/stakeholders, developing first drafts of opinion editorials, writing country memos and country briefs, publication drafts).
- Conduct desk research, literature reviews, and other research analysis.
- Provide support in planning and conducting field activities and consultation meetings at states and federal levels with the relevant stakeholders.
- Support the Head of Policy and Advocacy in stakeholder engagement and in establishing and managing relationships with partners, third parties/vendors/ and consultants.
- Support the Head of Policy and Advocacy in maintaining a local reference document repository.
- Facilitate translation of policy decisions into tasks and projects and support their effective and timely implementation.
- Provide technical, logistical, and administrative support towards planning of high-level meetings, activities, events, and trips; prepare reports and follow-up, liaising with other GAIN departments and programs, GAIN partners and other organizations.
- Any additional responsibilities mutually agreed with the Head of Policy and Advocacy.
Key Organizational Relationships:
- Reporting to Head of Policy and Advocacy.
- GAIN Nigeria country team and GAIN HQ.
- Government, project partners and other key external stakeholders.
- A University level Degree in a relevant field such as, Nutrition, International Development, Public Health, Business Management.
- A Master's Degree in the above field of studies will be an added advantage.
- Experience in policy research and communication within an advocacy/action-oriented context, either within an NGO, government or policy context.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, results-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure.
- Understanding/experience/technical knowledge of health and food systems.
- Experience developing policy reports and advocacy briefs.
- Ability to conduct desk research, literature reviews, and other research analysis and synthesize findings into clear stories/position papers.
- Understanding of or ability to analyze food and nutrition security policy debates and draft papers in line with GAIN’s strategic priorities.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and presentation Skills.
- Excellent ability to liaise with and manage different stakeholders.
- Some project management skills would be an asset.
- Knowledge of food and nutrition security, food systems, and wider development issues.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity.
- A progressive experience in a similar role within the nutrition and food systems is a strong asset.
Our Working Culture and Environment:
- We provide a flexible working environment that includes a combination of home and office working opportunities through our global hybrid working policy. This encourages our staff to have a healthy work-life balance and increases staff motivation, enriches employee wellbeing, and improves performance and productivity.
- All of our positions are based in one or more of GAIN’s designated offices as stated on our job advertisements. Successful candidates will be based in one of GAIN’s country offices and must have the existing right to live and work within a reasonably commutable distance of the relevant city / cities in which the role is advertised. Please note, that GAIN does not sponsor working visas and relocations.
- GAIN reserves the right to withdraw an offer of employment for candidates who are considered to ineligible under the above conditions during or after the recruitment process.
- Salary: N6,897,828 - N7,876,788 Per annum (gross) depending on experience
- Other benefits are as attached below the job description.
- GAIN has a fair and competitive salary structure that allows for annual progression subject to good performance. In addition, GAIN offers a total of 37 days holiday per year (including annual leave, public holidays and additional office closure days), an attractive pension scheme and competitive insurance cover including health, travel and life assurance. We are committed to the health of our staff, especially in these challenging times, and have developed a programme of wellbeing that includes flexible and hybrid working, additional leave allowances, wellbeing days, mindfulness coaching and access to independent and confidential counselling.
- GAIN also has a strong commitment to professional development. We will support you to grow in your career through both formal and informal training, and are committed to providing opportunities through internal recruitment, secondments, and promotion.
- All of this is delivered in a supportive and collaborative environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 4th April, 2023.
- Early applications are encouraged. GAIN reserves the right to close this advert early should we receive suitable candidates ahead of the closing date.
- The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued.
- We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in