Program & Gender Officer at African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment (AFRYDEV)
African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV) is a youth led non-governmental, non-profit and non-sectarian development organization established in 2013 with the mission to serve as a platform for enlightenment and empowerment of youth society for peace and development through active participation by mainstreaming their issues and concerns into national development agenda based on United Nation Sustainable Development Goals.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program & Gender Officer
Contract Period: 6 Months
Commencement Date: 1st February, 2022
- Due to the wide-sweeping nature of the conflict in North-East Nigeria, social cohesion remains weak in Yobe State. Suspicion among families, neighbors, community members, and leadership continues to present challenges.
- Those that were associated with Boko Haram in the early days of the conflict are seen as complicit with the insurgents and community dynamics are often laden with violent interactions, even in accessing social services.
- Women and girls captured, abused, or forced into “marriage” by Boko Haram bear the stigma of their association, and their children are suspected of having “bad blood”. This fear of “contagion” and of suicide attacks by women and children is part of a deeper problem. International Alert is therefore working in an EU-funded consortium project led by Save the Children to
- Promote early recovery in Yobe State (Damaturu, Potiskum, and Gujba LGAs). Alert’s role is to mainstream conflict sensitivity throughout consortium activities and to conduct activities promoting social cohesion. AFRYDEV is being contracted to support the implementation of social cohesion activities in the various project sites.
- Immediate action is needed to promote peaceful coexistence in communities torn apart by conflict and mass displacement. In particular, the conflict dynamics around the reintegration of the thousands of men, women, boys, girls, and children associated with Boko Haram need specific attention.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assumed responsibility of gender mainstreaming, coordination, supervision, and planning in accordance with project/funder’s requirements.
- Support and facilitate different interventions on gender perspectives to ensure coherence and procedures in service delivery.
- Ensure adequate project monitoring and staff training to raise awareness of the causes of gender-based violence across the region.
- Involved in the collection of data on the analysis of sex-and age disaggregation by streamlining the need of survivors.
- Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures on GBV and gender-sensitive programming by providing day-to-day guidance on interventions.
- Work closely with partners, agencies, and civil societies to formulate a coordinated response in other to compile and prepare quality monthly progress reports.
- Ensure accurate data entry into the protection information management system and the development of an internal database to track referrals of services rendered.
Collaboration / Ethical Operating Standards:
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with AFRYDEV program staff and the beneficiaries
- Approachable and good listenership skills
- 80% of field travels.
Qualification and Skills
- Degree, HND in a relevant field
- Ability to work under pressure, with little or no supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, as well as knowledge of Hausa.
- Previous experience in a nonprofit organization is highly desirable
- Proven intellectual capacity and willingness to learn
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter as a single PDF document to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- AFRYDEV is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate gender, religion or ethnicity.
- AFRYDEV recruitment and selection procedures do not involve any form of payment to the organization, staff and or any assigned third party, request of such kinds should be immediately reported.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 25th January, 2022.