Programme Coordinator (Programme Support Unit (PSU)) at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Feb 19, 2020, 1:55 PM
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator (Programme Support Unit (PSU))
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office / Emergency Coordinator, in close coordination with the PSU in Abuja, and with relevant units at the Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the provision of support in project development, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), and reporting for all IOM programmes pertaining to Nigeria’s Emergency Response portfolio and programming in the Northeast
- In addition, s/he will coordinate, advise and provide support to media and communications and donor relations. S/he will also provide oversight to streamline and ensure efficient internal and external sharing of information; timely and accurate reporting though robust M&E structures; facilitate funding of the emergency response through project development and strong donor relations; and regular development of timely and accurate communications products.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Programme Development, Donor Liaison and Resource Mobilization:
- Monitor compliance with donor regulations and obligations and follow up on meeting objectives within the agreed timeframe and budget; Coordinate contractual negotiations with donors and monitor the Mission's compliance with the Organization's related rules and policies.
- Develop programmes based on solid results framework that respond to emerging trends as well as country and donor priorities.
- Undertake duty travel relating to liaison with counterparts, project/programme assessment, problem solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
- Coordinate and administer operational, administrative and financial aspects of Programme Support Unit (PSU), including oversight responsibilities of unit staff.
- Identify, train and supervise monitoring staff and implementing partners in preparing progress reports and consolidated progress reports.
- Act as focal point for programme support activities, and contribute to the design and development of new programmes/projects within the area of emergency response in close coordination with the Chief of Mission, the Head of Sub-Office/Emergency Coordinator (HSO/EC), Head of Nigeria Programme Support Unit (PSU), Programme Managers, IOM
- Regional Office, IOM Headquarters, Governmental Authorities and International and Regional Institutions as well as partners’ organizations in public/private sector.
- Liaise with diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, international and non-governmental organizations and other relevant partners/donors:
- To discuss/develop programme and project possibilities;
- Coordinate and promote new activities and participate in raising funds for new projects/ programmes;
- To facilitate proper coordination and representation of IOM Nigeria’s emergency response portfolio.
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Oversee Monitoring and Evaluation activities to support data collection and inform/identify in advance implementation challenges, formulate solutions and support the project managers to ensure timely delivery of activities and services within the designated timeframe.
- In close coordination with the relevant programme manager, plan, undertake and supervise field monitoring and evaluation missions to ensure technical compliance and timely execution of projects vis-à-vis approved plans and baselines.
- As needed, organize and conduct training activities in Monitoring and Evaluation to IOM programme personnel and Implementing Partners.
- Assess programme implementation modalities, assist the project managers in achieving maximum efficiency in programme delivery, measure and report results to senior programme staff and counterparts, and directly inform programme strategy on a continual basis.
- Oversight and supervision responsibilities of Monitoring and Evaluation Staff.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the implementation of emergency response programmes in Nigeria.
- In coordination with the HSO/EC and Programme Managers, review and suggest improvements to different emergency projects Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- In coordination with the HSO/EC and Programme Managers establish a common programme Monitoring and Evaluation framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies.
- In coordination with the Resources Management Officer (RMO) and the HSO/EC, liaise
- between IOM finance staff and programme managers to ensure that the latter are observant of financial requirements.
- Act as focal point for reporting activities relevant to the area of IOM Nigeria’s Emergency Response portfolio. Activities include:
- Support in producing internal situation reports for the senior
- management and external visibility materials, such as external situation reports. To be conducted in close coordination and by the support of relevant Programme Managers.
- Drafting of narrative programme/project reports in line with IOM and/or donor formats;
Sub-Office and Mission Senior Management Team Support:
- Ensure adequate follow-up with mission staff in terms of strategic input and key decisions.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Identify areas of programme implementation which require the HSO/EC’s and/or the Chief of Mission’s intervention.
- As requested, represent IOM and participate in national, international, inter-agency and government-led coordination mechanisms, meetings, relevant conferences, workshops, and policy and technical working groups to facilitate proper coordination and representation of IOM’s preparedness and response portfolio.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Master's Degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- Experience in Project design and government and donor liaison;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Excellent report writing skills;
- Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking.
- Experience in coordinating with managing various programme units and ability to establish and maintain working relations with government counterparts, UN agencies;
- Field experience in the Migration or Development fields;
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Application Deadline 27th February, 2020.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Enter your email below and click subscribe.
OND / HND / BSC Holders Borno State Maiduguri International Organization for Migration Social Science Business Administration Law