Programme Officers at International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA Nigeria)
FIDA Nigeria is a non-profit, non-political, voluntary association of women called to the practice of law in Nigeria. FIDA Nigeria’s primary role is to protect, promote and preserve the rights of women and children in Nigeria. Its core values are transparency, accountability, teamwork, integrity, mutual respect, commitment, service and we are non-partisan. Its main objectives are to: promote the principles and aims of the United Nations in its legal and social aspects; establish friendly international relations on a basis of equality and mutual respect for all peoples; promote the study of comparative law; proffer advice to Government in cases relating to women and children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer
Locations: Bauchi, Katsina, Osun, Bayelsa, Kano and Rivers
Vacancy Type: One-year fixed term, renewable
- The individuals will work on the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) funded program- Nigeria Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement (SCALE) project, with technical support from the Palladium Group.
- The program will focus on strengthening capacity and working with stakeholders to address social norms that encourage Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and Child, Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM) in the community; and empowering (through capacity building) community paralegals to respond to incidences of SGBV, CEFM and trafficking in persons.
- FIDA will prioritize the identification of local civil society organisations and community based organisations for the purpose of strengthening their capacity to respond to victims/survivors psychosocial needs, legal aid drive and key prevention interventions aimed at curbing SGBV, CEFM, TIP and related abuses that affect vulnerable groups.
- The programme officer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of FIDA Nigeria National President/Country Vice President, National Secretary and other National Executives, and report to them through the Programme Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will carry out the following tasks:
- Under the supervision of the programme manager, provide technical leadership on the implementation of the project in the state.
- Plan and implement project activities in the state in close collaboration with the resident FIDA state branch and proactively deal with arising challenges, nuances or changes.
- Collaborate with the accounts staff to ensure the proper management of financial records, including the provision of complete documentation for requests and retirements.
- Support the smooth and effective flow of communication with FIDA Nigeria and the state branch.
- Support the programme manager and other project staff in following-up communication with partners, including official letters, requests for technical assistance and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Represent (with approval from the branch chairperson and program manager) the state branch at meetings, workshops, etc., and report back to the respective persons.
- In collaboration with the resident FIDA state branch, develop and maintain stakeholder and network relationships which are essential to the successful implementation of the project.
- Develop and prepare project and activity reports, technical briefings, background papers and update notes for the project in the state.
- Contribute to the adherence to donor/grant requirements, including financial standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the National Executive Committee, branch chairperson or programme manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following: Law, Political Science or any discipline in the Social Sciences.
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English & any prominent local language spoken in the state is desirable.
Minimum Required Experience:
- 3 years’ work experience in the thematic areas of gender equality and social inclusion, trafficking in persons and human rights.
- Experience working in the criminal justice sector.
- Experience in project implementation.
- Demonstrates professional competence in women and children’s rights and rule of law as well as, knowledge of related policies and practices at the national, regional and international levels;
- Demonstrates good understanding of the Ford Foundation funded project to mitigate the incidence of gender-based violence, through community-led change, by altering the social norms, beliefs and traditional practices that subjugate women and girls in the target communities.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results;
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Display of persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and ability to remain calm in stressful situations;
- Ability to incorporate gender and child rights perspectives in projects and activities and in ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Demonstrates knowledge of programme management cycle, including monitoring and reporting;
- Ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues with a display of persistency;
- Commitment and passion for work and achievements;
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues within and outside of FIDA Nigeria to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to solicit inputs by genuinely valuing the ideas and expertise of others;
- Willingness to learn from others;
- Support and act in accordance with team and organizational decisions;
Planning & Organizing:
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Knowledge and skill on how to develop clear goals consistent with agreed strategies;
- Foresight for risks and contingencies when planning;
- Ability to monitor and adjust plans and projects as necessary;
- Ability to use time efficiently.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora;
- Ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations.
N1,440,000 - N1,800,000 annually
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter addressed to: The Country Vice-President / National President via: email@example.com using "Application for the Position of Programme Officer (Preferred State)" as the subject of the email. e.g. "Application for the Position of Programme Officer (Bayelsa)".
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 21st December, 2021.