Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Recruitment at Action Against HungerJob Title: Emergency Coordinator
Recruitment at Action Against Hunger
Feb 26, 2020, 10:11 AM
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of: Job Title: Area Manager-Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Location: Monguno, Borno Starting date: As soon as possible Direct Line Manager: Field Coordinator
Objective 1 Manage field teams to ensure compliance, technical quality and coherence in all FSL (interventions) Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead the team indirectly by implementing the FFP project and ensure all project deliverables are produced with sufficient quality and on time
- Advise, participate in, review, and when required, lead on carrying out needed technical assessments, surveys, designing interventions and carrying out monitoring and evaluation related to FFP and other upcoming FSL programming.
- Support the development of FFP programming in general and other FSL programming procurement plans and project work plans.
- Manage and lead FFP team to implement high-quality interventions that adhere to contractual requirements and AAH procedures and technical ways of working. Technical support includes harmonizing and developing the FSL CBI approach and ensuring that technical standards, guidelines, and methodologies are communicated and understood.
- Lead in compiling monthly technical reports with FFP program staff to provide an overview of activities and contextual updates.
- Review reports and gauge the progress of projects/programs against output goals, expected results, project indicators and sources of verification ensuring compliance with AAH internal reporting standards.
- Ensure that all program-related data and information are updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learned and best practice are capitalized
- Facilitate and support systematic monitoring and evaluation of interventions.
- Support in the elaboration of technical program donor reports with respect to the formats, content, and deadlines.
- Food distribution and BSFP activities. Ensure all food commodities requests timely submitted to WFP and supply chain team and distribution timely carried out as per standard.
- Support in developing technical FSL documents and reports before dissemination to partners.
- Lead in the development of job descriptions and recruitment of technical national personnel as needed.
- Evaluate direct reports as per the defined AAH performance evaluation schedule.
- Provide individual coaching and training of FSL personnel to improve any identified areas of weakness
- Support FFP Program Manager in working with other departments and field teams to ensure a common approach, synergy, and sharing of information.
- Support in the response to FSL funding opportunities in collaboration with other coordination teams (i.e. nutrition, WASH, administration, human resources, and logistics).
- Collect and review data relating to market prices, seasonal and regional trends, and general FSL context.
- Undertake additional activities as requested by the FFP Program Manager and other members of the coordination team.
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes; 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, and identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
- Field Coordinator: Operational hierarchical relationship– exchange of information, reporting, collaboration, coordination
- FFP program Manager: Technical hierarchical relationship- direct technical supervision on deliverables including reporting in ensuring quality
- FFP B3G field team: Manage FFP two-sector managers in particular and, FFP Monguno team in general (exact reporting structure to be determined) to ensure the exchange of information, collaboration and coordination. Also, oversee technical oversight, technical support, coaching
- Other FSL field teams: Manage other FSL officers as needed in future FSL programming.
- Governmental and non-governmental partners: Exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on the choice of technical options
- Representatives of international aid organizations: Exchange of information
- Representatives of donors: Exchange of information, technical discussions, project-related exchanges
- Degree in developmental studies, Food security and livelihood, Disaster Risk Management and sustainable development, or related fields
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive
- Excellent team, budget and project management, and representation competencies
- Experience implementing programming on behalf of the donor (i.e. USAID, ECHO, DFID, CIDA) funded activities
- Five years of relevant work experience
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa and English
- Commitment to AAH mission, values, and policy
- Previous experience with food security and livelihoods programming.
- Previous experience managing cash-based interventions (i.e. cash for work, cash transfers or cash vouchers)
- Previous experience with AAH
Minimum Basic Monthly Salary
- NGN424,310 per month
Application Deadline 5th March, 2020.Job Title: WASH Officer Location: Monguno, Borno Starting Date: As Soon As Possible Direct Line Manager: WASH Sector Manager
- Overall supervision of water and sanitation construction activities including preparing technical designs and bills of quantities.
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate technical assessments
- To visit sites and ensure quality assurance of construction being delivered and adherence to design specifications
- To coordinate technical workshops in the targeted health facilities with surrounding/close by communities (practical organization and liaison with the key persons)
- To make sure that the technical activities are up to the ACF standards (WASH package)
- To visit regularly the field activities
- Assist the Sector Manager in the selection, design, and construction of water systems, using groundwater or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems
- Provide technical assistance to the Sector Manager to assess sanitation needs, provide design/BOQ and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with male and female beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control, and drainage
- Consider different maintenance mechanisms, ensuring that they are appropriate to the local context and cultural norms and that facilities are sustainable
- Prepare a Written Work Instruction for use on-site to bring clarity to the contractor's roles and responsibilities in each stage of the execution of construction activities
- Continually assess emergency needs alongside the Public health promotion team, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of public health
- Ensure that work meets with SPHERE minimum standards
- Assist and participate in community mobilization
- Ensure that all technical work reflects the needs and preferences of different target groups
- Contribute to the writing of timely weekly/monthly activity reports on the project
- Assist in the bacteriological and chemical testing of water sources, water storage containers, and household drinking water at the point of consumption as defined in the monitoring plan.
- Train and build the capacity of staffs and partners.
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct training for both internal staff and external stakeholders
- Assist the WASH Sector manager in the development of technical guidelines and tools
- Assess areas for improvement and recording lessons learned for future activities
- Responsible for managing WASH technical assistants
- Coordinate with internal staff and local stakeholders to ensure smooth project implementation.
- Liaise closely with the WASH PHP team throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the WASH technical activities. Hygiene promotion is a vital element in such infrastructure activities, especially in cholera responses
- Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders/counterparts to exchange information on WASH technical implementation status
- Build a database of technical support projects and share with relevant stakeholders.
- To communicate & report WASH technical activities:
- To participate in base meetings
- Coordinating with other disciplinary teams or the on-site construction supervision personnel on technical matters.
- To compile feasibility and other technical reports for information and guidance in Action Against Hunger
- Liaise with Other Team members to develop training, Monitoring and Evaluation reports
- Assist in the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports.
- Provide full support to WASH Sector Manager in maintaining regular contact with local stakeholders including Government Ministries/Department/Agencies
- Preparation of technical progress reports and report verbally and in writing to the WASH Sector Manager as requested to advise on progress, constraints and any other issues that may impact on work plans.
- WASH Sector Manager: Technical hierarchical relationship - exchange of information, collaboration, coordination
- WASH PHP Officer: Collaborate with the hygiene promotion and social mobilization team members to ensure the exchange of information, collaboration, and coordination.
- Local governmental and non-governmental partners: exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on the choice of technical options
- Local representatives of international aid organizations: exchange of information
- Degree in Water Engineering, Hydrology, Civil Engineering, Building and other related fields with a minimum of 2 years field experience
- Previous experience in supervising drilling and construction activities
- Professional, good organizational capacity, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive
- Good knowledge of appropriate technology for latrine construction, de-sludging and sludge treatment practices, water source development, solid waste management
- Three years of relevant work experience
- Microsoft Office and designing software Skills (AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri, and English
- Team and contractor management skills
- Monitoring and reporting Skills
- Thorough knowledge of WASH interventions using the SPHERE standards
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values, and policy.
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Previous experience with Action Against Hunger.
Minimum Basic Monthly Salary
- NGN236,585 per month.
Application Deadline 5th March, 2020.Job Title: ICT Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno Starting date: As Soon As Possible Direct Line Manager: ICT Officer
Objective 1 Server, Energy and Network Management: Tasks & Responsibilities
- Shall support the ICT Officer to ensure that Servers and other network resources are installed and configured for the respective users for Damaturu office.
- Shall archive and keep in safe location all old files on the server and some relevant users’ data
- Shall support the ICT Officer in the delivery of energy backup system (inverter, UPS) for the ICT equipment for Damaturu, Bade, Potiskum and the sub-bases
- Shall be Local Area Network administrator for Bade and Potiskum offices and monitor users’ access to the Network and all its resources
- Shall support the ICT officer to ensure smooth operation of all HF/VHF radios for the base
- Shall with the ICT Officer provide technical advice on CCTV operations to the base security manager whenever the needs arise
- Supports the M&E team to ensure effective use/function of the ODK phones, cash transfer and traders’ devices.
- Shall support the ICT Officer to resolve all ICT related problems with the ODK phones, cash transfer devices and traders’ devices are attended to within the shortest possible time.
- Shall carry out weekly data backup followup for Damaturu office and ensure that backup is done for all the sub-bases at regular times
- Shall ensure that recommended anti-virus is installed on all the computers in the base and regularly updated
- Shall in collaboration with the ICT Officer ensure that all network resources (server, network drives, switches, routers, printers) are installed in a safe and well ventilated locations
- Shall ensure that all staff have required equipment for the delivery of their roles
- Manages the base equipment list by regularly updating the list with new equipment
- Ensures that all users complete Equipment Temporary Allocation Form and well documented
- Makes sure that all new equipment labels are checked and allocated appropriately
- Ensures that all equipment assigned to leavers are returned and equipment list updated accordingly
- Shall ensure stability of internet service for the base and the sub-base and when necessary provide internet service for individual staff who may not be within the office location for official reasons at some point.
- Shall continuously monitor the performance of all internet service and effective use of the internet bandwidth for Monguno and Damasak.
- Shall query any individual for abuse of any of the communication means (Internet, GSM, Thuraya and Radio) and report same to the ICT Officer for consistent abuse.
- Logistics Manager: hierarchical relationship – technical support – exchange of information, collaboration on planning and all base matters
- ICT Manager: Technical support
- ICT Officer: Direct Line Manager
- Logistics Officer: Collaboration on daily tasks
- Others Programme Managers: Exchange of information and coordination (integrated approach)
- Local governmental and non-governmental partners: exchange of information, coordination,
- Local suppliers: exchange of information, coordination, influence on choice of technical options
- Local representatives of international aid organisations: exchange of information
- Bachelor’s degree / Higher National Diploma in Information Technology/ Engineering; Telecommunications, Computer Science or related courses.
- Minimum 1 year experience in the ICT sector.
- Professional IT certificates such as MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CISCO are preferable.
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills; approachable, diplomatic, able to maintain confidentiality; able to work effectively in diverse, cross-cultural teams in a complex, multi-site work environment
- Computer literacy including all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized, rigorous, self-motivated, strong sense of responsibility, ability to work independently
- Capacity for analysis, synthesis and reporting of large amounts of information
- Willingness to travel to field sites
- Previous experience working for NGOs an asset, particularly international and/or health related NGOs
- Fluency in one or more National/regional languages an asset.
Application Deadline 28th February, 2020.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno Department: Operations
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno and will be supervised by the Deputy Country Director - Northeast. The Emergency Coordinator will oversee the development, appropriate implementation and coordination of AAH Nigeria’s multi-sectoral emergency program strategy in NE Nigeria under a Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM).
- To ensure AAH’s agreed role in RRM in geographical locations and sectors, and taking a lead role in ensuring the effective coordination of the RRM with other actors. Support the DCD-NE to elaborate the AAH context analysis, ensuring linkages internally and externally to gather relevant information to advocate for a principled, coordinated response.
- Emergency Program Strategy and Humanitarian Alert Analysis
- Oversee NE Nigeria emergency / rapid response programming to ensure the effective and efficient design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of emergency program portfolio.
- Serve as the primary focal point within AAH for gathering and consolidating information on humanitarian alerts and updates through a system of internal contacts (Field Coordinators, Security Managers, Field teams) and external contacts and coordination mechanisms (local authorities, community leaders, RRM Coordination Cell) to inform AAH context analysis and adaptation of the AAH Nigeria Emergency strategy in close coordination with the DCD-NE.
- Develop an internal tracking and follow up database for relevant humanitarian alerts and updates.
- Ensure that any rapid response programming is in line with the Country Strategy and AAH's vision.
- Work with DCD-NE and Regional Technical Coordination team to generate viable projects in line with Country Strategy and ensure cohesive links and referrals across AAH humanitarian programming.
- Work closely with Advocacy & Protection Coordinator to ensure protection mainstreaming in all emergency interventions and to ensure protection monitoring activities inform AAH multisector response and contextual understanding.
- Ensure that systems, tools and resources are in place to guarantee that RRM projects are: Designed, planned and implemented based on sound analysis, in line with humanitarian principles, consistent with AAH's standards for program quality and AAH technical positioning.
- Ensure the regular production and/or review of AAH RRM monitoring tools including Detailed Project Implementation Plans, Activity Progress Reports, Budget and Supply Follow‐up, etc.
- Put in place proper monitoring and evaluation systems to demonstrate impact of AAH’s emergency program and that learning is incorporated to ensure ongoing improvements.
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on program activities, policy matters and external relations, based on agreed formats and schedules.
- Identification of new opportunities for intervention and discussion with DCD-NE.
- Program Implementation
- Management of the RRM team in Borno; adapt the team structure according to needs, resources and capacities if required, with support of DCD NE.
- Ensure high quality project implementation in accordance with donor and AAH regulations as well as in line with agreed log frames/indicators, budgets, procurement plans, and work plans. Monitor and manage program expenditure and budgets, ensuring resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with AAH financial procedures and Donor requirements.
- Ensure multi-sectoral needs assessments are carried out to inform the implementation of AAH emergency programming: Monitor the humanitarian situation and contribute to the prioritization of areas of intervention; Compile, review and disseminate multi-sectoral assessment reports internally and externally; Present summary results of multi-sectoral assessments; Supervise the MSA team remotely and in the field, depending on security situation and needs; Oversee correct implementation of tools and methodologies for assessments
- Coordination with other RRM actors (UN, INGO) to ensure coherence of response, use of correct tools, development of new tools as needed.
- Identify staff among AAH teams and train and develop AAH Nigeria expertise in RRM programming.
- Ensure coordinated planning with logistics to ensure sufficient support to assessment and response teams.
- Support the team to develop and maintain relationships with the relevant local authorities and key stakeholders.
- Development and implementation of robust remote monitoring plans, capacity building and other identified areas of support.
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area.
- Access and Security
- Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of a dedicated security plan for RRM interventions in line with AAH standards and procedures.
- Ensure collaboration with Safety and Security Coordinator ensuring safety of teams on assessment and response missions and ensure appropriate security plans for field missions are in place, and to discuss support needs for new areas of intervention. Ensure appropriate measures are taken for access and safety on assessment and response missions.
- Ensure coordination of security protocols and management where RRM activities overlap with on-going AAH program locations.
- Participate in security networking at all levels for NE interventions and support analysis of the information gathered and contribute to risk and context analysis.
- With DCD NE develop an understanding of access strategies with AAH NE field teams.
- External Relations and Partnerships
- Support DCD-NE to develop and enhance relationships betwwen the Mission and donors' representatives, Civil Society, Private Sector, Government agencies and other humanitarian organisations.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant counterparts/departments of the government, the locally‐represented multi/bi‐lateral donors, UN agencies, foundations, international and national NGOs and civil society organizations.
- Support and work effectively in coalitions and networks in the respect of principles of equality, transparency, result oriented approach and complementarities.
- Attend RRM Coordination meetings with other actors and ensure coordination of joint / one-agency assessments and responses.
- Support field staff to develop contacts and coordinate closely with stakeholders including local authorities, security actors, community representatives and CBOs where relevant.
- Represent AAH in external coordination mechanism in support of DCD NE as needed.
- A Bachelor's Degree in International Development, Political or Social Science, Economics, Business Administration or related field (Masters Degree Preferred).
- At least 6 years of work experience preferably in humanitarian or development work with at least 3 years of experience in Management.
- Significant experience with INGOs, particularly in complex emergencies and high-security environments. Previous experience with AAH in emergency and post‐emergencies an asset.
- Essential experience in RRM implementation/coordination in similar contexts.
- Excellent management skills (HR, projects, stress management)
- Advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines and procedures (ECHO, UNICEF, DFID, OFDA, etc).
- Ability to organize, train and motivate a multicultural team.
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical capacity for program design and development.
- Disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance.
- Fluent in English (professional English needed).
- Excellent drafting and written skills.
Application Deadline 28th February, 2020.Job Title: Finance Archivist
Location: Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria Job type: Temporary Department: Finance Level: Entry Level Slot: 2 Openings
- The position is based in Abuja, FCT and is a 3 months contract. The Finance Archivist is responsible for scanning and labelling of accountancy documents for e-archiving and also support in-sorting audit documents listing.
- Have a minimum a Bachelor's degree / HND in an Accounting / Finance related field.
- Outstanding computer skills in MS Word and MS Excel.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in office administrative work.
- Some experience in archiving and documentation procedures.
- Capacity to work in a team.
- Good knowledge of English.
Remuneration Daily Worker Rate: 4,995 Naira (5% taxable)
Application Deadline Friday, 28th February, 2020.
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts