Security Assistant at African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV)
African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV) is a youth led nongovernmental, non-proﬁt and non-sectarian development organization established in 2013 with the mission to serve as a platform for enlightenment and empowerment of youth society for peace and development through active participation by mainstreaming their issues and concerns into national development agenda based on United Nation Sustainable Development Goals.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Assistant
Contract Period: 8 Months
Commencement Date: Immediately
- The Security Assistant is responsible to follow up on the security context in AFRYDEV areas of intervention and assisting in maintaining a safe and secure environment for AFRYDEV employees and visitors, premises, and assets as well as maintaining regular communication with staff during field movement.
- The Security Officer is responsible for ensuring that appropriate systems and procedures are in place to maximize safety and security and that they are adhered to at all times.
- The Security Assistant is responsible for supporting the AFRYDEV team in Yobe State to ensure that safety and security is mainstreamed into all field operations across intervention areas and that high-quality information is available for decision-making.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and the Executive Director, he/she:
Policies and Procedures:
- Work with the Program Manager to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans across Northeast Nigeria.
- Ensure the availability of all the instruments needed to guarantee security in the area of intervention
- Monitor the security situation on the field, reports to the Program Manager, promptly and effectively report risks and propose mitigation actions
- Represent AFRYDEV in meetings with government and other relevant stakeholders as required
- Assist the PM to provide training(s) that may include Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Contingency Plans (CPs), Security Management, Incident Reporting, Prevention, and Response Mechanisms, Communications (including satellite phones), and risk/threat analysis.
- In coordination with the PM, revises and updates the organization’s security tools
- Collaborate with the PM for the field office staff and ensures that all security systems are implemented and respected
- Provide thorough security briefings to AFRYDEV staff and visitors upon arrival in Yobe.
- Initiate, review, and collate security incident reports for each field site.
- Implement, maintain, and regularly update the AFRYDEV staff and visitors list, Security Communications Tree, and SOPs as needed
- Ensure the communication equipment functions at all times (HF radio, sat phone, internet, and phone lines). Follow-up on any calls made by satellite phone and radio.
Staff and Vehicle Movement:
- In collaboration with the Admin and operations Team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to staff on the current situation in operational areas.
- Daily track and record all AFRYDEV field movements within States of interventions. Maintain strong communication to report and record observations, information, and occurrences during staff movement
- Serve as focal point with drivers during interstate movement by tracking the location of all vehicles and staff and communicating with AFRYDEV Program Manager and Executive Director
- Regularly conduct field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
- Ensure vehicle and personal tracking systems are appropriate, fully resourced, and operational.
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Collect information regarding politics and security in Yobe States as well as on safety and security issues concerning AFRYDEV.
- Respond to security-relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the PM.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) to the Program Manager and Executive Director.
- Work closely with AFRYDEV field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Take appropriate measures to secure AFRYDEV premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of AFRYDEV’s existing security set-up.
- Check that facilities and equipment conform to security norms (closures and doorways are in a good state, open spaces lit up, buildings identified, fire extinguishers present, electrical installations buried, etc.).
- Review lodging options for staff in field locations, ensuring they meet AFRYDEV standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that perimeter security staff (guards) have the capacity to perform their duties as per the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct monthly health and safety inspections such as, but not limited to: fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors, and inspection of AFRYDEV facilities in Yobe State
- Regularly inventory and stock as necessary hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate AFRYDEV’s status in Yobe States and across NE Nigeria.
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current AFRYDEV programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities, and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the states.
- Coordinate regularly with the Program manager on safety and security issues and fulfill all reporting requirements.
- Attend and represent AFRYDEV at UN, Sector, and other meetings relating to access and security as appropriate, following guidance from the Program Manager and Executive.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Skills
- Degree, HND in Social Science or relevant field.
- 3 years of previous experience in managing a similar position in a nonprofit organization is highly desirable
- Proven intellectual capacity and willingness to learn
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, as well as knowledge of Hausa.
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to work under pressure, with little or no supervision
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter as a single PDF document to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- AFRYDEV is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate gender, religion or ethnicity.
- AFRYDEV recruitment and selection procedures do not involve any form of payment to the organization, staff and or any assigned third party, request of such kinds should be immediately reported.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 10th March, 2022.