Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > United Nations World Food Programme recruitment for an Administration Officer, P4
United Nations World Food Programme recruitment for an Administration Officer, P4
Jul 9, 2020, 1:30 AM
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Officer, P4 Requisition #: 123097 Location: Abuja, Nigeria
WFP Administration Function
- You will be joining a community of over 3,000 team members, worldwide – ranging in profiles from Architects and Engineers to Drivers and Maintenance Workers.
- The Administration functional area prides itself on providing quality customer service while ensuring that WFP operations reach our beneficiaries, smoothly, even in the toughest conditions.
- The responsibilities of our Administration professionals include managing travel, accommodation, and protocol support; delivering and maintaining fit-for-purpose facilities; managing WFP’s pool of assets including light & armoured vehicles; and providing guidance on oversight, internal controls, and anti-fraud management.
- WFP Nigeria is a relatively new Country Office having been established in 2016 to address the food insecurity crisis in the conflict affected North East part of the country. With the finalization of the Country Strategic Plan, WFP is also providing nutrition and livelihoods support as well as supporting the government’s efforts in emergency preparedness and response. WFP Nigeria has grown to approximately 340 staff.
- The Head of Administration in WFP Nigeria oversees a staff of approximately 60 in three main offices (Abuja, Maiduguri and Damaturu) including several international. The Head of Administration reports directly to the Deputy Country Director-Support Services and is based in Abuja Nigeria, with occasional travel to field offices. Abuja is a family duty station and is well served with education, housing, medical and commercial facilities.
- Manage and oversee all administrative functions for WFP Nigeria including light fleet, facilities, protocol, travel and assets for the Nigeria Country Office
- Provide technical support and leadership to the development and management of administrative functions across WFP Nigeria notably the Area Office and Sub Offices.
- Lead the development and implementation of WFP corporate and complex regional/country plans, including innovative administrative processes, aligned with regional and wider WFP strategies and policies to ensure efficient and effective administration services.
- Develop annual plans, contribute to longer term strategies and lead improvements to policies, systems and procedures to ensure services provided support WFP strategic objectives and are in compliance with corporate policies, standards, regulations and processes; providing technical support and leadership to the development and management of administrative functions across WFP’s Country Office, Area Office, and Sub Offices
- Lead the preparation of complex data analysis to provide management and clients with the accurate information and reports for efficient planning and decision-making.
- Develop robust reporting and data dashboards to monitor administrative activities.
- Develop and refine management systems to support the administrative functions.
- Ensure robust oversight and anti-fraud management
- Support the development and training of staff in administrative processes.
- Identify, and build productive partnerships with WFP stakeholders, other UN agencies and local government offices.
- Build and strengthen the capacity of WFP staff and partners, providing expert design and delivery of trainings, workshops, daily interaction, etc. for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Lead on preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of risks to enable WFP to quickly respond at the onset of the crisis.
- Oversee the existing resources in the area of responsibility (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc.) and estimate new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
- Facilitate the compliance of the services provided (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc.) with the corporate Occupational Safety and Health Policy and provide solid recommendations to the senior management on a wide range of improvements/changes.
- Lead and promote a culture of environmental sustainability throughout WFP by role modelling actions that drive sustainability in all administrative activities.
- Lead and motivate large multicultural teams, provide coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Other as required.
- Advanced University Degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Public Administration or other related fields related to facilities and organization administration, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional relevant experience with increasing levels of responsibility and out of which 2 years of international experience.
- Proven experience in managing, developing and coaching multi-disciplinary teams, in an international environment.
- Proven experience in working with multiple stakeholders.
- Leading monitoring and reporting activities.
- Proficiency in MS Office, as well as proven ability to use and manage integrated business management systems, such as SAP or other similar systems, in order to extract data and contribute to effective, informed decision-making.
- Proven experience in administration and cross-functional working knowledge.
- Proven experience in leading multiple projects and providing substantial strategic input into function policies.
- Proven experience in providing high-quality customer service in complex environments.
- Knowledge of public procurement procedures; international contract formats and asset management procedures.
- Fluency (level C) in English language - written, spoken and oral comprehension.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese
- Well organized and detail-oriented with strong judgement/decision-making skills.
- Ability to manage the delivery of outputs by agreed deadlines, sometimes at very short notice.
- Familiarity with UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing administration is a strong asset.
- Excellent communication skills to develop and maintain working relations with persons in different units and geographical locations.
- Ability to plan and organize work and communicate effectively.
Terms and Conditions
- Mobility is, and continues to be, a core contractual requirement in WFP. The selected candidate will be employed on a Fixed-Term contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply NoteApplication Deadline 5th August, 2020.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts