Vacant Jobs at International Medical Corps (IMC), 14th March, 2019
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Assistant
Location: Damboa, Borno
- Under the supervision of WASH Officer, the WASH assistant will be responsible to participate in hygiene campaigns, to participate in house to house hygiene promotion, and to prepare written material for the field, elaborate clear and adapted message for beneficiaries, as well as oversee the hygiene promotion and other WASH activities conducted by the community volunteers.
The WASH Assistants will be responsible for:
- Selection and training of the hygiene promoters (VCM).
- Collection of bio data for both VCMs and beneficiaries in communities.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at community level and IDP camps in close coordination with community volunteers
- Actively participate alongside community volunteers in identifying locations/sites for WASH infrastructures (latrines construction/rehabilitation, borehole drilling/rehabilitation, etc…) in the beneficiary communities.
- Animate focus group, giving clear messages on good hygiene practice.
- Report the progress of the work to the supervisor and the Head of project
- Report possible problems or conflict during the activities or any other issues that requires IMC follow up/ action
- Conduct House hold assessments.
- Conduct the Distribution of water, hygiene and sanitation items.
- Input beneficiaries’ data into spread sheet in preparation for distribution of NFI kits in communities.
- Train and monitor VCMs on how to conduct hygiene promotion sessions and fill their log sheets properly document topics discussed, advice provided, document issues of concern for IMC follow up action, number of attendees to sessions, etc…
- Collection of VCM log sheet on monthly basis and certifying work done by VCMs.
- Identification of the most appropriate messages regarding the target population.
- Organize training sessions and participate in facilitation in IDP camps and host communities.
- Evaluate the necessary material needed for a campaign/activity.
- Mobilize the community on change behavior regarding hygiene practices.
- Collection of water sample from household and source and also conduct quality tests using the del aqua KIT
- Write daily reports on VCMs evaluation, water testing and NFI distribution.
- Relating closely with VCMs to identify informal settlements in host communities.
- Relate with M & E in providing accurate raw data for impact analysis during post distribution survey and also to make input into monthly and quarterly reports
- Regular reporting of Hygiene Promotion activities to supervisor/ WASH Officer
- Provide support to other areas of the department as may be required by the supervisor.
- B.Sc or HND in Social Sciences, Sciences or any relevant Technical qualification.
- Communicate well in Hausa & Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- At least one (1) year experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or community development experience.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity building at community level.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, water quality monitoring, & community mobilization.
- The WASH Technician will be responsible for providing support to the WASH team on the hardware components of the WASH program including construction and drilling/rehabilitation of water points especially in the areas of BOQ development, drawing / designs and day to day supervision of field works to ensure contractors are deliver quality infrastructures works including but not limited to latrines and water points construction/rehabilitation, construction and/or rehabilitation of health facilities, GBV women centres, etc.
- Work with WASH Project Officer to conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Act as the main technical personal in the development of BoQs and designs for all WASH works on the various projects including but not limited to latrines construction, water points drilling and rehabilitation.
- Work with the WASH Project Officer to design templates, construction contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- Provide rigorous supervision of WASH hardware works in the various various camps and host communities in Maiduguri and Damboa
- Provide technical supervision to contractors undertaking various IMC works in camps and host communities and ensure delivered work is up to stand as required by IMC
- Review technical reports from the various contractors and provide recommendations to the WASH Project Officer as to whether the delivered infrastructures meet the required standards and quality by IMC
- Provide technical inputs in assessments for new project areas
- Provide technical inputs in the production of IMC regular reports both internally and externally: Weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc….
- Provide technical input/ verification in the quality and quantity of materials received from suppliers before it is received by the logistics.
- Liaise with contractors on the quantity and quality of materials to be requested form logistic and makes the request on time for prompt delivery to site.
- Be involved in capacity building of Water Management and Sanitation committees especially with regards to routine maintenance techniques.
- Provide updates to WASH Manager on state of IMC Water and Sanitation infrastructure by working closely with the trained WATSAN committees in the communities on regular basis.
- B.Eng. or HND in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or Architecture or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least two year of experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or private engineering firm.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of AutoCad, CAD, GIS software, and GPS device.
- Experience in drafting Bill of Quantities for civil works.
- Experience in ground water development and rehabilitation.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, including use of formulas and pivot tables
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Willingness to travel to other Borno LGAs outside of Damboa & Dikwa for up to 2 weeks as required by supervisor.
Summary of Responsibilities
- IMC Nigeria is looking for qualified WASH Project Officer to work with the WASH Department. The WASH Engineer will be responsible for the implementation of all construction function within International Medical Corps (IMC) Nigeria.
- The WASH Project Officer will work in coordination with technical leads from WASH, Medical, Logistics, and contractors providing technical, organizational and supervisory role at all IMC construction projects and will be the main technical adviser for contractors, and crafts people.
- As part of the International Medical Corps (IMC), WASH Team, the WASH Project Officer will be in charge of all technical activities related to construction and will ensure the efficient and smooth implementation of all civil works in IMC targeted areas. S/he will be responsible le to ensure that all WASH infrastructures are accompanied by hygiene promotion and active participation of the communities.
- Develop a plans for improving operation and maintenance of WASH infrastructures in IDP camps and host communities, health posts including stabilization centers and schools.
- Based on assessments carried out by IMC or partner NGOs, prioritize the infrastructure/civil works according to urgency
- Coordinate with technical staffs from WASH, Health, Nutrition and GBV to ensure that the WASH aspects of the response are integrated.
- Provide expertise for construction/rehabilitation of WASH infrastructures, health facilities, women friendly centers;
- Provide expertise for the dissemination of social behavior change (SBC) messaging in camps and host communities
- Assess in-country resources and capacities (human, material and financial) for construction projects with relevant stakeholders and contractors.
- Define scale, aims and objectives of the overall rehabilitation/construction needs for projects in IDP camps, Host communities, and health facilities including OTP sites/stabilization centers in accordance with relevant minimum standards (WASH, Health, GBV, etc.).
- Design appropriate, where and as necessary phased, technical interventions to ensure safe and high quality health care delivery at facilities, including in preparation for and during infectious disease outbreak response.
- In coordination with WASH lead, select and design appropriate water supply solutions to ensure security of water supply for the camps and health facilities.
- Provide design solutions to ensure appropriate sanitation systems (to include excreta disposal, vector control, waste treatment and disposal, drainage), taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs, financial limitations and cultural norms.
- Work with the WASH assistants to develop IMC Nigeria Social behavior change communication strategy and design IEC materials for the dissemination of hygiene promotion messages in camps and host community host.
- Oversee the development of cost effective plans, drawings and bill of quantities (BoQ). Work with Logistics for any technical materials verification. With support from Logistics, manage, monitor and interpret all contract design documents supplied by contractors.
Management and Implementation:
- Plan and manage the implementation of infrastructural works including hygiene promotion in camps and hos communities and prioritized WASH activities in full consultation and co-ordination with relevant IMC staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
- Organize, with the logistics and finance departments materials and support needed for all infrastructure activities.
- Through capacity building and on site skills transfer, build a technical team that is multi-skilled, flexible and has capacity to work autonomously. Design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring and evaluation systems for construction projects;
- Supervisor all WASH technicians and WASH Assistants in accordance with IMC HR procedures and policies and maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
- Ensure that performance objective for WASH technicians and WASH Assistants are set and staffs are appraised as per IMC policies and procedures;
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA):
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within IMC and amongst beneficiaries served by IMC.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Information and Co-ordination:
- Provide regular updates to supervisor and team on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing.
- Represent IMC to private, governmental and non-governmental groups as and when needed.
- Provide support to the WASH technical team to ensure construction guidelines are followed
- Supervise and manage IMC WASH Technicians and WASH assistants who undertake routine maintenance and construction activities in the camp as well as hygiene promotion;
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Construction Engineering; an MSC would be preferred;
- 5 years’ experience supervising WASH projects within Nigeria or other countries;
- Ability to interact with both national and international staff;
- Strong understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential;
- High computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft office: Word, Excel, internet as well as AutoCad;
- Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written);
- Capacity to work under stressful situation and strong organizational and time management skills and capacity to coordinate work across multiple departments and on site;
- Willingness to travel throughout the project areas in Bono State is required
- Must be extremely flexible, willing to follow instructions and work within very strict guidelines; and
- Must have the ability to cope well in a stressful, and fast paced environment.
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficient knowledge of AUTOCAD and preparation of bill of quantities (BoQ) essential;
- A good understanding of WASH software including hygiene promotion techniques and methodologies;
- A good understanding of the Ministry of works guidelines
- A good understanding of donor procedures especially USAID guidelines;
- Good organizational, forecasting and planning skills especially as it relates to construction and civil works
- An understanding of requirements of a rapid response emergency operation.
- Attention to detail and excellent numeracy.
- Diplomacy, tact and communication and negotiation skills.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Nigerian local dialects
- Flexibility, adaptability to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
Ethical Conduct for IMC Staffs:
- International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts.
- No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported/ by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved.
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award.
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreement.
- These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agent.
Stabilization Centre Doctor
Position: Nigerian nationals only
The primary function of the SC Doctor is to provide leadership and overall day to day management of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) at IMC stabilization Centre (SC) in Damboa LGA. Together with Nutrition Coordinator, Nutrition Manager and Nutrition Officer, he/she participate in defining intervention priorities, develop necessary contacts and relationships with government, non-government, donors and UN agencies at the field level; Contribute to the development of strategies and manage existing programs and resources, and provide day to day supervision, management and coaching to a wide team of SC staff in Damboa. Ensure that International Medical Corps program is delivering the highest level of quality of nutrition services in line to national and international guidelines. .
Qualifications and Experience
- To undertake a morning and evening ward round daily with a Stabilization Centre Nurse ensuring patients are visited where appropriate. To make an entry in the patient’s notes as appropriate following ward rounds or any other patient examinations, communication or procedures. To receive a hand-over report on patients from the duty SC Nurse;
- To supervise the daily clinical management of all patients in conjunction with the SC Nurse on duty with support from nutrition manager and officer.
- To liaise with SC Nurses regularly (at least every 3-4 hours) to check on patient progress, or more frequently if the need arises and respond to calls from the ward relating to patient care
- To take blood samples from patients as may be required from time to time.
- To administer intravenous medications / therapy if required,
- To undertake emergency procedures as required (including resuscitation), taking the lead as necessary.
- To ensure that all consumables used during procedures shall be correctly charged to patient. Coordinate to ensure that all available drugs and consumables used during procedures are strategically stored in SC.
- Ensure donated medicine and consumable is only prescribed for patients and not for staff unless on emergency first aid and under authorization from Nutrition Manager and Coordinator;
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to nurses and other health workers deployed to the SC.
- Supervise the use of medicines, medical supplies, and nutrition-related commodities and data tools in the SC.
- Liaise with the nutrition officers and nutrition assistants to ensure and facilitate a timely referral of complicated SAM cases from the OTPs to the SC and vice versa.
- Participate in the development and review of SC programme monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary.
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities.
- Build collaborative relations with MoH, WHO and other stakeholders to ensure a successful SC project.
- Maintain work schedules/plans for SC nurses, nutrition assistants and cleaners in the SC.
- Update the nutrition manager on the implementation of all SC activities on weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis.
- Follow up management of stocks with the storekeeper; monitor rates of SC consumption and ensure supplies are ordered in a timely manner
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the SC teams, including admission, discharge and transfer from the various components of the programme.
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are treated respectfully at all times
- Participate in regular nutrition team management meetings and also represent the Nutrition Manager in carrying out some related tasks.
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the nutrition manager or coordinator
- Ensure that the SC is equipped with all necessary tools and materials (e.g. MUAC, scales, drugs, F-75, F-100, RUTF, counselling cards, referral guides)
- Ensure that all SC staff fully complete and sign timesheets monthly for submission to HR/Finance Admin through the nutrition manager.
- Ensure payments made locally by nutrition team are compliant with the Procurement & Authorization Chart with appropriate supporting documentation
- Ensure assets under nutrition team are safe guarded and included on the monthly/quarterly/annually update of assets as may be required
- Assist in any other tasks when required by nutrition manager and/or management
- Strictly qualified and registered national Medical Doctor from a recognized university/institute with minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Must possess a valid practicing license from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
- Experience in implementation of nutrition programs is an added advantage.
- Understanding of nutritional/health surveillance and information systems/reporting.
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on health and nutrition including CMAM and IYCF.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach other staff and community workers.
How to Apply
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with children and their care takers.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment.
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a Nutrition representative of IMC in the SC.
- Ability to integrate into the local environment including awareness of political, religious and economic aspects of the community.
- Excellent inter and intra personal skills to ensure consistent positive relations with key stakeholders.
- Familiarity with donors and donor procedures helpful.
- Strong report writing and computer skills.
Interested and qualified candidates should send and address their Applications (Application Letter and CV, MS Word format) to the "Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps" via the email: [email protected]
- Position is for Nigeria nationals only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, Application Letter and CV should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
26th March, 2019.